MBB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by Scots Hoops Fan, March 14, 2005, 09:32:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bouncer1

Toph, for the life of me, I can't figure out from your post why you call that cross-town team losers when by your own admission they have beaten the mighty babyblue streaks the last six times they have played. But it does make for a great weekend of hoops down in Columbus.  Great rivalry match-ups in JCU vs BW and Cap vs Ott with both having just played each other in the last week. There should be a good crowd with a great atmosphere for college hoops. The top 3 players in the OAC will be showcased  with Davis, Mimes, and Ousley all on display. In your unbiased opinion, who deserves the MVP of the league from among those 3??

Toph

My MVP voting (if I had one) in order:

1. Tori Davis far and away
2. Tyler Ousley
3. Brandon Mimes

No one has been more valuable to his team than Davis.  Mimes' value is evident in the number of wins with him vs. without him last year.  There are more factors than just Brandon Mimes though.  The Streaks have stayed much healthier this season...having at least one point guard in the lineup at all times is nice.  Terry Walsh is having a huge impact for the Streaks as well.

Now, as for why I call BW losers...allow me to explain, complete with emoticons:

Any school that counts a talk show host like Kenny Roda among their alumni is starting off in a deep hole.  "I'm a Steelers fan...but I'm also an Indians fan, Cavs fan, and Ohio State fan."  Really, Ohio State...because there aren't any colleges around Pittsburgh.  ???

They aren't Catholic.   ;)

They wear a very strange color of brown and couple it up with gold...great color scheme.  The uniforms they wear now that create a striping effect are probably the 5th ugliest uniforms I've ever seen in any sport at any level...and that is truly my unbiased opinion.   :-X

They reside on the West side.  :-\

Tyler Sekerak complains to the officials more than any player I've ever seen, including Pete Moran and Bill Lambier.  Why is it that whenever he's called for a foul he looks like he's about to cry?  :-[

Tori Davis and Thad Davis have been driving me nuts for years.  One of those two should've gone to another OAC school just to make things interesting. :o

And most importantly, they will lose on Friday!   ;D

ScotsFan

Quote from: Toph on February 22, 2007, 10:30:49 AM

Any school that counts a talk show host like Kenny Roda among their alumni is starting off in a deep hole.  "I'm a Steelers fan...but I'm also an Indians fan, Cavs fan, and Ohio State fan."  Really, Ohio State...because there aren't any colleges around Pittsburgh.  ???

Toph, I feel your pain on this one!  For the life of me, I can't figure out how Cleveland's only all-sports radion station has a Steelers fan as a host?!  Why is he not a fan of the Pirates instead of the Indians?  Oh, because the Pirates are AWFUL!  And why not the University of Pittsburgh instead of OSU?  And who can forget the Pittsburgh Pythons in the movie 'The Fish That Saved Pittsburgh' ??  ??? All Roda is in my book is nothing more than a fairweather fan!  Of course, it doesn't help that I am a huge Michigan fan, so his obnoxious takes on all things Ohio State makes me nautious to the point that I just choose not to listen to that clown!  Not that the fat slob that is Mike Trivisonno on 1100 is any better during the afternoon rush.   ::)  Talk radio in the afternoons in Cleveland really is lacking to say the least!!!

kiltedbryan

Capital has posted information on their website about the impending OAC semifinals and finals this weekend at the Capital Center.  Follow the link for more information:

http://www.capital.edu/Internet/Default.aspx?pid=11661

Both games will feature live stats and audio, for those following from home.  I'll be there for the double-dip; if any other OAC posters will be present, I'll probably be the only person in the gym in a College of Wooster shirt!

bouncer1

Toph, I do have to admit that I agree with some of your assessments but not entirely. First, I totally agree with your MVP ratings--there is no doubt that it should go in that order--Davis, Ousley, and Mimes. Anyone that has it any different hasn't watched any OAC basketball this year. Now we have to see how the coaches vote. I also agree with your evaluation of Kenny Roda but I'm sure all schools have some alumni that don't exactly shine. I do beg to differ with you about the Catholic part, not that BW is because they are a Methodist backed school, but I do believe that is also part of why JCU is disliked sometimes. Because of all their snooty, better than thou, arrogant private school upbringings that compose most of their team. Of course this rebuttal is not meant to slam JCU but to contradict the "losers" of BW. As far as the colors go, they are a bit strange. Name another NCAA school with those colors besides Wyoming and Western Michigan.  Maybe that makes them unique????  As far as the uniforms go, in seeing them play a few times this year and last, they are "different" but of course the uniforms do not the player make. (or something like that)  Now, about your remark about Tyler Sekerak being a whiner, you have to be kidding when you say he is worse than Moran. I'm willing to bet that there is not one player in the OAC more disliked by officials than Moran. (not that officials make those judgments) The few times I have seen him play make me wonder why he hasn't had more technicals and he has had a few. (I know, not his fault) I also can't believe his teammates enjoy playing with him when he does all that yelling at them.  But I digress.  And your last statement about the Davis brothers--I agree that most OAC schools would all rather they had played anywhere else, especially not in the OAC, but you have to agree that, from a basketball sense, they were a pleasure to watch.  And I have also heard that they are two of the nicest guys in the world--that's refreshing in this day and age of star athletes.  But in the final analysis, both schools are great and have great people, past and present.  One team will lose on Friday but that does not make anyone a loser. Only those people that make those remarks are truly the losers.

David Collinge

Quote from: bouncer1 on February 22, 2007, 10:18:11 PMAnd your last statement about the Davis brothers--I agree that most OAC schools would all rather they had played anywhere else, especially not in the OAC, but you have to agree that, from a basketball sense, they were a pleasure to watch.  And I have also heard that they are two of the nicest guys in the world--that's refreshing in this day and age of star athletes.

Personally, I wish they had played at Wooster.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: bouncer1 on February 22, 2007, 10:18:11 PMAs far as the colors go, they are a bit strange. Name another NCAA school with those colors besides Wyoming and Western Michigan.

I'll name three NCAA schools whose team colors are brown and gold, two of them D3 schools: Rowan, Nebraska Wesleyan, and Adelphi.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Toph

Bouncer-
I hope you realize that I'm kidding around here...just having fun.  Although, I do think that Sekerak is as bad as Moran, just not as loud.  It's all in his facial expressions and body language.  And I also think the current uniforms the men's team wears (I think they started wearing them last year or the year before last) with the striping effect are absolutely hideous (away far worse than home).  Here are the only worse looking uniforms I can think of:

The brown and yellow San Diego Padres with the horizontal stripes, same style with the Houston Astros...what a terrible era for baseball.
The teal Vancuver Grizzlies unis.
The teal New York Islanders unis from around 1996-97.
The Cleveland Cavaliers unis from '94-'02...seriously, the Cavs have some of the greatest uniform styles in basketball history and then they have those "things."
The current Toronto Blue Jays uniforms...I don't even know what color that is.

That's it.  Those are the only uniforms I can think of that are worse looking than the current BW Men's Basketball uniforms (again, away looks far worse than home).

And if we're going to get into this debate, I will not hear any arguments about the old orange and white Tampa Bay Bucs.  2nd best helmet design ever (first is Patriot Pat), and perfect color scheme for the team...they stunk, and they looked like it.

As for the game tonight...I think it can go either way.  Carroll didn't play well in the first game, the 2-3 killed them offensively.  They shot it extremely well in the first half of the second game only to fall apart. 

We have two very good teams and two great coaches going at it.  I wish I could make the trip...but I'll be listening.

bouncer1

Actually we have 4 very good teams and 4 very good coaches that have led their teams to great things not only this year but in years past.  Cap center should be sold out and the place should be rockin'.  Hopefully we can get updates on the games as the evening progresses.  Question:  why hasn't Cap and BW gotten any mention in the regional rankings with JCU as high as third with the same records and Cap being tied for OAC title?? And I will bring back up the same old discussion about NCAC vs. OAC--it doesn't seem fair that Wooster and Witt seem to be a lock every year to reach the NCAA.  They are both traditionally excellent programs and I take nothing away from them for that, but they are virtually assured of a 20+ win total every year because of how pathetic that conference is overall. Both teams would do very well in the OAC but I would venture to guess that they would not win it every year like in the NCAC.  ONU this year showed them about the toughness of the OAC and they won't even reach the semis of the tourney this year.  But I guess you play who is on your schedule and go from there--maybe a little jealousy coming out but I'm sure the Caps, JCU's, BW's, and Ott's would rather prepare for the likes of Hiram, Oberlin, Denison, and Kenyon twice each year rather than each other or any of the other OAC schools.  Best of luck to all this weekend and may the games begin.

Toph

RE: Regional Rankings

I'm not an expert, and I will yield the floor for a more detailed explaination from our NCAC brethren, but the reason Cap and BW aren't "getting mentioned" in the regional rankings is because it's not something that is voted on.  It's a system based on a combination of different statistics.  People like David Collinge and scotsbrod can give you a much more educated and in depth description.

Pat Coleman

Ehh, it is and it isn't. It's mostly numerical, though there are still humans who do the ranking.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

David Collinge

Quote from: bouncer1 on February 23, 2007, 09:54:27 AMQuestion:  why hasn't Cap and BW gotten any mention in the regional rankings with JCU as high as third with the same records and Cap being tied for OAC title?? 

The regional ranking are based on five primary criteria.  Three of them are based on results of specific games (head-to-head, results vs. regionally ranked opponents, and results vs. common regional opponents).  The other two are numeric looks at the entire season, and these are the two that most of us believe determine the overall rankings.  These are in-region win % and Quality of Wins Index.  I'm not going to try to explain QoWI; you can find out about it in the site's FAQ section.

Here's how the three OAC teams you mention stack up in these criteria:
JCU: regional win % .739, QoWI 9.957
Capital: regional win % .680, QoWI 9.200
B-WC: regional win % .714, QoWI 9.190

As you can see, JCU is higher than both Cap and B-W in both of these key statistics, and the gap of about 0.75 in QoWI is enormous.  That's why JCU is highly-ranked and the others are unranked.

David Collinge

Quote from: Toph on February 23, 2007, 08:41:27 AM
And if we're going to get into this debate, I will not hear any arguments about the old orange and white Tampa Bay Bucs.  2nd best helmet design ever (first is Patriot Pat), and perfect color scheme for the team...they stunk, and they looked like it.

If "Patriot Pat" was the guy snapping the ball, I completely agree.  Why they went away from that to the ghastly helmet they have now I'll never understand.

Those old awful Bucs teams were a real joy.  There couldn't have been a better coach for that bunch than John McKay.  I still remember one post-game press conference with the following exchange:

Reporter: Coach McKay, how do you feel about the execution of your offense today?
John McKay: I'd be in favor of it.
:D

ScotsFan

Here are the only worse looking uniforms I can think of:

The brown and yellow San Diego Padres with the horizontal stripes, same style with the Houston Astros...what a terrible era for baseball.
The teal Vancuver Grizzlies unis.
The teal New York Islanders unis from around 1996-97.
The Cleveland Cavaliers unis from '94-'02...seriously, the Cavs have some of the greatest uniform styles in basketball history and then they have those "things."
The current Toronto Blue Jays uniforms...I don't even know what color that is.

That's it.  Those are the only uniforms I can think of that are worse looking than the current BW Men's Basketball uniforms (again, away looks far worse than home).
I can think of one team's uniforms that I would put above all that you have listed and that would be the Oregon Ducks 157 different variations of their football uniforms!  Talk about hideous!!! :o

I am probably one of the few that actually like the old orange uniforms of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.  My family lived down in the Sarasota area during that era and I loved those unis. 8)  I have been trying for years to get an old school orange Buccaneers hat on ebay or something, but to no avail. :(

Toph

I was leaving Oregon out because they are an abomination.  I could rant for an hour about how horrible their uniforms are.  They are in an entirely different universe when it comes to bad uniforms.

And yes, Patriot Pat was the colonial in a tri-cornered hat snapping the ball on the Patriot's old helmets.