FB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider 68

Quote from: MUC57 on September 19, 2020, 03:25:50 PM

No Mount Union people posting. Everyone must be watching the 2007 playoff game between the Raiders and St. John Fisher. Rah! 💤 ‼️

All I can say, that no Mount Union Football is a huge disappointment this fall. I really do not think Spring football means
a whole lot other than, it allows those seniors to finish their careers before graduation.

For me, last year's loss to North Central was one of the most disappointing games I have seen. No defense and absent
coaching as well.  >:(

The problem is we will have to wait another year to move forward in a normal way. After losses to UWW in the Stagg, there was always the next year and its anticipation, With Covid that is not possible.
13 time Division III National Champions

jaybird44

Hello all!

Usually I post items about WashU games that I have or will broadcast, or about general observations from other games and events.  However, this post regards a topic that is quite a bit different--with the athletic shoe being on the broadcaster's foot.

I am going to attempt to cover 100 miles in a solo charity ultramarathon through an event that I have organized.  "Rett Gets Rocked Virtual Ultra Weekend" will be conducted in the subdivision where I live in St. Charles, MO, to raise awareness and research funds for Rett syndrome.  I get started at 9 a.m. Central on Saturday, October 3 and end at 5 p.m. Sunday, October 4.  Proceeds from the event will be split between Rettsyndrome.org (the only national organization spearheading research and providing resources for affected patients and their families) and the Rett Spectrum Clinic--a collaboration between the WashU School of Medicine and St. Louis Children's Hospital.

Rett syndrome is a rare, non-inherited neurological disorder that is caused by a gene mutation in the brain.  Rett strikes typically when a child is 6-18 months old, and it takes away the child's ability to move and communicate.  Most of them end up in wheelchairs with active minds, but mired in the physical rubble that Rett creates.  And, the neurological damage prevents verbal communication and arm and hand movement for sign language.

In essence, Rett does to a child what Lucy in the "Peanuts" comic strip does to Charlie Brown when he tries to kick the football that she is holding.  The only difference is that Charlie Brown can get back up to try again.  Those who are afflicted with Rett syndrome don't get another chance to enjoy a vibrant life.

If you would like to make a donation to the cause, here is the link to my Rett Racers donation page:  https://rettracer.everydayhero.com/us/rett-gets-rocked-2020

Thanks for your time and consideration, and let's hope that we get back to playing and broadcasting sports much sooner than later!

Jay Murry
Play-By-Play Announcer, Washington University in St. Louis
Event Director, Rett Gets Rocked Virtual Ultra Weekend

Dr. Acula

I was scrolling through Mount records and wanted to pose a question to any of our veteran posters.  Russ Kring is second in career rushing yds/gm at 133 yds.  And that's second best by a wide margin trailing only Kmic.  Can anyone who saw him play in the 80's tell us about him?  Seems like he was a stud.

MUC57

Quote from: Dr. Acula on October 09, 2020, 08:27:15 AM
I was scrolling through Mount records and wanted to pose a question to any of our veteran posters.  Russ Kring is second in career rushing yds/gm at 133 yds.  And that's second best by a wide margin trailing only Kmic.  Can anyone who saw him play in the 80's tell us about him?  Seems like he was a stud.

Dr. Acula (But I'M the Romanian. Oh well.)

He WAS a stud. But also a little shy. When I first met him, he was very quiet, very unassuming. On the field, he was something else'

Not only was he a good running back, he was also, because of his size, a terrific blocking back. During a playoff game against Augustana at Mount Union, he was injured in the first half. I don"t remember if he played the second half or not, but in any case, a blocking back of his ability was lost. Mount lost 16-7.

He really was a double threat. He has an insurance office on State Street just about across  from the College. His name is on the sign out front.

And yes, I was at the game mentioned above as well as many other games in which he played. Good guy who will be long remembered.  ;D
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

purple

Count Dracula....Russ Kring was a "baby bull' type back but with really good speed. Think Dan Pugh but a little bigger and more of an inside runner. If I'm not mistaken, he was hurt in the game we lost to John Carroll one year. JCU had a great throwing QB and we needed Kring to control the ball.

Dr. Acula

Thank you, purple and 57.  +k to you both.  I'm old enough (and Mount's ascension relatively new enough) that I've seen a good chunk of the guys littering the record book.  But that one just caught my eye because it seemed like such an outlier statistically. 

The other thing I noticed in the records was the move away from having the star skill guy return kicks.  Moore, Pugh and Kmic all did it, but that trend seems to have gone away over the years.  Maybe injury concern is more of a factor than back then.  I recall seeing it from time to time situationally after those guys, but I don't recall it being like back when Chuck Moore was the kick returner.  Back there every kick off, every game until you were done for the day. 

hsbsballcoach7

It looks like the NCAA has decided on the venues for the next few years of D3 football championships.
2021 Canton
2022 Annapolis, MD Naval Academy
2023 Salem, VA 50th Stagg Bowl anniversary
2024 Humble, TX
2025 Canton, OH

I think this is exciting. Of course I'm excited about the Canton flavor, but I've always wanted to go visit the Naval Academy.
Thoughts?

jknezek

Quote from: hsbsballcoach7 on October 14, 2020, 08:34:56 PM
It looks like the NCAA has decided on the venues for the next few years of D3 football championships.
2021 Canton
2024 Humble, TX
2025 Canton, OH

I think this is exciting. Of course I'm excited about the Canton flavor, but I've always wanted to go visit the Naval Academy.
Thoughts?

Annapolis, and the Naval Academy itself, are well worth the trip. However, December on the Atlantic seaboard doesn't bode well for good weather.

wally_wabash

Quote from: jknezek on October 14, 2020, 09:14:46 PM
2021 Canton
2024 Humble, TX
2025 Canton, OH

Thoughts?

Annapolis, and the Naval Academy itself, are well worth the trip. However, December on the Atlantic seaboard doesn't bode well for good weather.

The promise of good weather wasn't realized in either of the Shenandoah, TX Stagg Bowls so I'm totally ok with the championships committee shuffling weather considerations all the way to the bottom of the priority list.
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

jknezek

Quote from: wally_wabash on October 15, 2020, 11:32:58 AM
2021 Canton
2024 Humble, TX
2025 Canton, OH

Thoughts?

The promise of good weather wasn't realized in either of the Shenandoah, TX Stagg Bowls so I'm totally ok with the championships committee shuffling weather considerations all the way to the bottom of the priority list.

Yeah. I have no problem with it. Salem didn't promise anything either, and Canton is just as unlikely to be warm and sunny. However, that close to the water, you add a whole new level of chill on a bad day. But as I said, visiting Annapolis, and the Naval Academy, is well worth the trip.

rscl70

Quote from: jknezek on October 15, 2020, 11:56:20 AM
2021 Canton
2024 Humble, TX
2025 Canton, OH

Thoughts?

Yeah. I have no problem with it. Salem didn't promise anything either, and Canton is just as unlikely to be warm and sunny. However, that close to the water, you add a whole new level of chill on a bad day. But as I said, visiting Annapolis, and the Naval Academy, is well worth the trip.

Humble, TX I could do without, but I like the other locations.  My wife is excited about Annapolis.  Weather has seldom been good for the Stagg Bowl, especially since it was moved to Friday night. 
12-0 = 13

wally_wabash

Quote from: rscl70 on October 16, 2020, 08:03:25 AM
Quote from: jknezek on October 15, 2020, 11:56:20 AM
2021 Canton
2024 Humble, TX
2025 Canton, OH

Thoughts?

Humble, TX I could do without, but I like the other locations.  My wife is excited about Annapolis.  Weather has seldom been good for the Stagg Bowl, especially since it was moved to Friday night.

I am really surprised that they decided to go back for another bite of the Houston-adjacent apple.  I would love to know how the organizing group there addressed Shenandoah's shortcomings and how it will be different this time around in their bid. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

hsbsballcoach7

According to Pete Thamel, Chris Kappas has accepted the defensive coordinator position at Austin Peay. That's a big jump and I hope he does well! Any guesses who would step in or be recruited to call the defense?

raiderpa

Mount Union now has lost three coaches that were instrumental to the program.  One has to wonder how this will affect the current and future of the program.  LK developed a dynasty and continued to stir the stew even though retired, VK carried on, and Woj retired.Now with Kappas leaving, the loss of coaching leadership of these men has to be of concern to Raider fans.  There are several young minds on the staff, but the veteran leadership that steered the ship is missing. 

Dr. Acula

Quote from: raiderpa on November 02, 2020, 07:42:08 AM
Mount Union now has lost three coaches that were instrumental to the program.  One has to wonder how this will affect the current and future of the program.  LK developed a dynasty and continued to stir the stew even though retired, VK carried on, and Woj retired.Now with Kappas leaving, the loss of coaching leadership of these men has to be of concern to Raider fans.  There are several young minds on the staff, but the veteran leadership that steered the ship is missing.

Good point, raiderpa.  That's a lot of institutional knowledge to lose in a short period. 

Hasn't Ely been in a more-than-position-coach role for a bit now?  I assume he takes on more responsibility now?  If not, just throwing it out there...maybe a return to Alliance for a young D3 DC?