Playoffs -- 2015

Started by Ralph Turner, November 17, 2015, 02:42:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cover2

Weighing in on the lights conversation:  we down here in the south, Texas specifically, really need lights for the early season games.  Playing at Noon, or anytime in the middle of the day, would be miserably hot for those September games. 

pg04

Quote from: cover2 on November 19, 2015, 05:19:18 PM
Weighing in on the lights conversation:  we down here in the south, Texas specifically, really need lights for the early season games.  Playing at Noon, or anytime in the middle of the day, would be miserably hot for those September games.

+k, this is a very good point and a consideration I hadn't made, even though I now live in the south.

SJSUPhil

Quote from: Mugsy on November 19, 2015, 03:37:27 PM
Latest forecast for the Wheaton area on Saturday:

QuoteIssued by The National Weather Service Chicago, IL
Thu, Nov 19, 2:20 pm CST

... WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM FRIDAY EVENING THROUGH SATURDAY AFTERNOON...
    THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN CHICAGO HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WATCH... WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM FRIDAY EVENING THROUGH EARLY SATURDAY AFTERNOON.
    * TIMING... A POSSIBLE RAIN AND SNOW MIX BRIEFLY FRIDAY EVENING QUICKLY TRANSITIONING TO SNOW AND PERSISTING THROUGH EARLY TO MID AFTERNOON ON SATURDAY... WITH SNOW POSSIBLY HEAVY AT TIMES.
    * SNOW ACCUMULATIONS... 4 TO 7 INCHES.
    * IMPACTS... POTENTIAL EXISTS FOR DIFFICULT DRIVING CONDITIONS AND SHARPLY REDUCED VISIBILITIES.
    * THE FIRST ACCUMULATING SNOW OF THE YEAR CAN CATCH MOTORISTS OFF GUARD. ENSURE TO PLAN ACCORDINGLY AND USE EXTRA CAUTION IF TRAVELING.
    PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...
    A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT SNOW THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL. CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS.

Not what Lakeland's high-octane pass attack would desire.

I'll be following along online from warm and sunny SoCal. Go Wheaton!

art76

Quote from: wabndy on November 19, 2015, 01:21:36 PM

K-Mac, as you all are drafting triple take- I had a suggestion for you.  In four of the last five tournaments, exactly three road teams beat their first round opponent (in 2012 there were 5 road winners).  Assuming this trend holds - i'd like to hear your prediction on which 3 road teams are going to win.

Triple Take is out - Keith picked these three road warriors: Salisbury, Mary Hardin-Baylor and Ohio Northern. In fact, all three picked these teams to win. Gotta give Keith props though for being the only guy to pick against Ryan and Pat in choosing Huntingdon and Thomas More in their respective games.
You don't have a soul. You are a soul.
You have a body. - C.S. Lewis

MonroviaCat

Speaking of playoff scheduling:  Any idea why the d3football.com schedule has the Oshkosh game as 4:00 PM (Eastern) and the Oshkosh Site has it as 3:00 (local Oshkosh time)?  I know these two are the same times  but I thought all games were played 12:00 local? 
Go Cats!

jknezek

Quote from: MonroviaCat on November 20, 2015, 09:09:26 AM
Speaking of playoff scheduling:  Any idea why the d3football.com schedule has the Oshkosh game as 4:00 PM (Eastern) and the Oshkosh Site has it as 3:00 (local Oshkosh time)?  I know these two are the same times  but I thought all games were played 12:00 local?

They are hosting the national cross country meet so an exception was made. Usually so staff can scurry around and get everything done.

MonroviaCat

Quote from: jknezek on November 20, 2015, 09:11:53 AM

They are hosting the national cross country meet so an exception was made. Usually so staff can scurry around and get everything done.
Aha!  Thanks for the info. Was curious to see what appeared to be a random time on the schedule. 
Go Cats!

emma17

They are in an odd situation. [/quote]

Well I think they make it odd by keeping secret the final regional rankings and the seeds. Transparency would equal greater understanding of the process, and I took the comment as "your projections unnecessarily got Platteville and Guilford's hopes up."

But if they wanted to eliminate that, publish the final regional rankings so we're all working with the same information and we can see what you see. Then the projections would either match their projections or we'd just agree to disagree.

I also think that there are people rotating on to the committee every couple of years and not all of them understand it as well as Pat, Greg, et. al., but usually there are enough people in the room to guide it through. This year must have been odd because of all the people who would have had to recuse themselves at certain points ... more than half of them had a team in the field/potential conflict of interest.

QuoteThe #d3fb playoff selection committee: Kean AD, Albright HC, CCIW commish, Wabash HC, Thiel AD, UMHB AD, Whitworth HC, UW-Stout AD. #d3fb32
[/quote]

I do think your point about transparency is key to all of this.  I'm not too upset that UWP didn't make it, based upon their poor performance in the biggest game of the regular season for them.  But that being said, there is still supposed to be some logic to this based upon the D3 published process.  If the committee is comfortable with the logic they used to make the selections, I simply don't understand why they won't be transparent.  My definition of transparency would require an open discussion, not just showing regional rankings.  We have to assume Whitworth was ranked ahead of UWP, just tell us why. 

K-Mack

Quote from: ExTartanPlayer on November 19, 2015, 01:13:30 PM
Quote from: K-Mack on November 19, 2015, 12:40:45 PM
Also, I don't think I've been on the boards all year, since Kickoff was released, not even to lurk ... but the chatter is high quality as always.

I was wondering where you'd been...besides on the podcasts, of course.

Re: the one comment (since I'm the guy who said there are "few" shutdown defenses any more)...Mount, Wabash, Linfield are definitely among a small handful of shutdown defenses in the playoffs but they're all playing against teams where they will score a lot of points (in round 1) anyway so I didn't see any of them as likely to play an overall low-scoring game (I expect Mount to win about 67-0, so even though they'll notch a shutout it will not be the lowest combined score...I don't think).

I think that what I'm has me chuckling a bit is that 21-14 now passes for a low-scoring game.  Back in the old days, when men were men and teams ran the wishbone and the I-formation and actually huddled between plays, that was just a normal score.  Now it's what we call the lowest-scoring first-round game.

All fair.
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

K-Mack

Quote from: MonroviaCat on November 20, 2015, 09:20:33 AM

Aha!  Thanks for the info. Was curious to see what appeared to be a random time on the schedule.

Did not know this. I wrote stock 15-games-at-once stuff in Triple Take, but it's only 14. Shame on me.
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

MonroviaCat

Quote from: K-Mack on November 20, 2015, 09:52:13 AM
Quote from: MonroviaCat on November 20, 2015, 09:20:33 AM

Did not know this. I wrote stock 15-games-at-once stuff in Triple Take, but it's only 14. Shame on me.
Well you already told us that you're "not that smart", so we'll give you a pass.
Go Cats!

Coolrey

In all but 3, every first round game was a blow out. Says a lot about the top to bottom quality of the 32 playoff teams. At least 8 teams that were left out are much better than several of those that qualified. The best D3 team in the country will prevail, but the path to the title isn't as formidable as it could be or perhaps should be. Conference champions don't always project as a top 32 team.

Toby Taff

Quote from: Royal85 on November 21, 2015, 08:39:24 PM
In all but 3, every first round game was a blow out. Says a lot about the top to bottom quality of the 32 playoff teams. At least 8 teams that were left out are much better than several of those that qualified. The best D3 team in the country will prevail, but the path to the title isn't as formidable as it could be or perhaps should be. Conference champions don't always project as a top 32 team.
they don't, but they earn the spot. I'd rather that than have a strictly subjective system
My wife and I are Alumni of both UMHB and HSU.  You think you are confused, my kids don't know which Purple and Gold team to pull for.

wally_wabash

I don't believe anybody claims that this tournament contains the top 32 teams in the division.  That's never been the objective. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

Mr. Ypsi

That's not the point.  D1's 'March Madness' is not the top 64 (now 68) teams either.  The point of conference AQ's is that everyone has ACCESS to the tourney.  Most of us prefer it that way, and it certainly is not going to change anytime soon.  Now if conference AQ's keep proliferating to the point that Pools B and C essentially disappear, I might well be open to some sort of 'modified' AQ system (Pat Coleman has toyed around with the idea that if no team in a conference makes it into any of the regional rankings, the conference loses its AQ for that season; some have also suggested a limit on the number of losses a team can have and still be an AQ).  But as long as no legitimate threat for a title gets left out of the field (and that is extremely unlikely in D3), don't think of the tourney as the BEST 32 teams - it isn't and was never intended to be.

And I think more than three games were not blowouts - several were highly contested much of the way but 'looked' like blowouts if you only see the final score.