2021 NCAA D3 Tourney

Started by hopefan, November 16, 2020, 02:00:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Then those at the NCAA lied to a LOT of individuals who sit on all levels of committees and a number of other individuals in DIII.

The number of people who told me today and in the last few days it would be released today - and then that it would be released by 5pm ET - is a pretty long list.

If the intent was tomorrow, they would have told everyone that.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

BaboNation

Once again, repeating a phrase I've used all too often in the last year, disappointing but not surprising.

What effect, if any, would folks expect this decision to have on how many games are scheduled (i. e. those not already scheduled), or not, going forward?  Some teams obviously would never have qualified for the tournament, but even lesser teams were needed for the better teams to reach the requisite number.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I think you will see a mixed bag. There are some who are just starting up who may back down a bit, especially if they don't have any conference schedule. I think some conferences will reevaluate and there will be different decisions based on different factors for each. I don't think there will be a predominate idea or anything.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I suspect it'll depend a lot on whether teams expect seniors back next year or not.  If its not anybody's last chance to play there's certainly less incentive to try and force something.  From everyone I've talked to, though, just about every team that can play is trying to make sure they send their graduates off with some kind of season.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

NEPAFAN

What does this mean for Spring and Fall sports in the Spring? Unlikely to do a championship as well?
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

Pat Coleman

Quote from: NEPAFAN on February 04, 2021, 01:22:46 PM
What does this mean for Spring and Fall sports in the Spring? Unlikely to do a championship as well?

It was decided back in the fall not to attempt a spring championship for fall sports.

Spring sports are still viable at the moment. Hopefully we are closer to 60% participation.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Pat Coleman on February 04, 2021, 02:17:45 PM

It was decided back in the fall not to attempt a spring championship for fall sports.

Spring sports are still viable at the moment. Hopefully we are closer to 60% participation.

I'm hoping that schools will consider that baseball and softball, which are held outdoors and are for the most part well-distanced in terms of the physical proximity of the two opposing teams to each other, should be given more latitude with regard to whether or not to participate in those sports.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 04, 2021, 03:39:40 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on February 04, 2021, 02:17:45 PM

I'm hoping that schools will consider that baseball and softball, which are held outdoors and are for the most part well-distanced in terms of the physical proximity of the two opposing teams to each other, should be given more latitude with regard to whether or not to participate in those sports.

Decisions for baseball, softball, and lacrosse have already been made that will give that latitude.

First, like winter sports the spring sports tournaments are smaller by the same amount.

Second, I am not sure of the participation numbers that need to be hit for each sport, but the standard of which is 70% and which is 60% has been made clear.

Third, there has been a reduction in minimums games to qualify:
Baseball - 13
Softball - 12
Lacrosse - 9

I think spring has a pretty solid chance - better than basketball and winter sports ever had - had getting their tournaments done.

As for fall sports championships in spring, as Pat mentioned that is a no-go for DIII. However, DI is planning to play all of their fall championships in the spring ... so ... it is going to be insane.

As an aside: I am told in a normal fall, between all three divisions there are something like 350 different hosting sites for all the tournaments.

augie77

It would be great to see IWU play Yeshiva, with the winner to play Randolph-Macon for a de facto national championship.  Far more manageable than Q's dream scenario--which would be awesome as well.

From MIAA Board:

Final from Ashland VA:  Randolph-Macon 69  Trine 55

Not overly disappointed, the Jackets are pretty darn good.  Anthony and Mallory lived up to their hype, and Robertson off the bench always seemed to make big 3s for them.  For Trine, it was an uphill struggle pretty much all the way.  Losing Cox to an ankle injury in the 1st half didn't help.  But they didn't pack it in when the Jackets went up big.  Cut it to 9 late and had an open shot from three to cut to 6 but missed.

Good expierence for the Thunder to take on a squad like Randolph-Macon.  Can only make them better down the road.  Great season Thunder!!

augie77

PauldingLightUP

I have a tournament history question, but for a sake of not bring up an old thread I'll just post it here.

Who was the broadcasters for most recent championship games for CBS? Specifically in 2019 and 2018? Thanks.

WLCALUM83

Jim Nantz was lead announcer, Clark Kellogg, Kenny Smith, Charles Barkley and Seth Davis are listed as color commentators, per Wikipedia.
"When you come to the fork in the road, take it."

PauldingLightUP

Quote from: WLCALUM83 on March 23, 2021, 06:39:06 AM
Jim Nantz was lead announcer, Clark Kellogg, Kenny Smith, Charles Barkley and Seth Davis are listed as color commentators, per Wikipedia.

Well, yes. I was thinking about the Division III championship games announcers in 2018 and 2019.