2017-18 All American Predictions

Started by guest323, January 30, 2018, 03:56:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest323

Love to hear people's thoughts on D3 All Americans.

These are some players to consider and watch play in my opinion based on talking to people around the country:

Blayde Reich (York, PA)
Spencer Levi (U of Dallas)
Aaron McFarland (CNU)
Thomas Bonacum (Ramapo)
Jay Howard (Catholic)
Spencer Cook (Stevens)
James Heskett (Williams)
Tim Howell (Whitman)
Travion Kirkendoll (Centenary)
Robby Dooley (ETBU)

hopefan

Well, guest323, it seems you may have missed the Central region, with the likes of several CCIW and WIAC candidates, and a Wash U player, as well as...

Shea Feehan of Eureka, who may be the 1st SLIAC player to merit consideration... ever....
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

hotdawg

nescac1

From New England, the top candidates, in no particular order, are:

Jake Ross, Springfield
Jack Daly, Middlebury
James Heskett, Williams
Jaqhawn Walters, Albertus Magnus
Raheem Anderson, Husson
Marcos Echevarria, Nichols
Tarchee Brown, Eastern Conn
Bradley Jomard, MIT
Ty Nichols, Keene State

I'm guessing if the season ended today, all nine of those guys would be on all-region first and second teams, in some order.  In fact, I'd say there is a fairly steep drop off after that group of 9, unless I'm forgetting someone ... outside of NESCAC, the most impressive players I've seen play this year (all vs. NESCAC teams) were Walters, Brown, Swarthmore's Cam Wiley, Ross (who to be fair I saw during the midst of a bit of a down stretch of play for him, he may have been banged up, at his best he is surely as good as anyone), Hamline's Zach Smith and Stevens' Spencer Cook, in that order.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: hopefan on January 30, 2018, 05:43:34 AM
Well, guest323, it seems you may have missed the Central region, with the likes of several CCIW and WIAC candidates, and a Wash U player, as well as...

Shea Feehan of Eureka, who may be the 1st SLIAC player to merit consideration... ever....

Not ever.

http://www.d3hoops.com/awards/all-americans/men/1998
http://www.d3hoops.com/awards/all-americans/men/2009
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Pat Coleman on January 30, 2018, 11:33:26 AM

Not ever.

I almost thought you had committed the cardinal sin of confusing McMurry with MacMurray until I realized the egg was on my face.  I had simply skipped past the first team, assuming no SLIAC player would've ever been on one.  Of course 1998 does predate my awareness of d3 by a couple years, so I'm giving myself a convenient excuse.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

hopefan

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on January 30, 2018, 12:39:38 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on January 30, 2018, 11:33:26 AM

Not ever.

I almost thought you had committed the cardinal sin of confusing McMurry with MacMurray until I realized the egg was on my face.  I had simply skipped past the first team, assuming no SLIAC player would've ever been on one.  Of course 1998 does predate my awareness of d3 by a couple years, so I'm giving myself a convenient excuse.

Good job Pat... I got lazy and didn't look up the facts before I commented... I Should have remembered both of those guys!!!!
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

Knightstalker

Sam Toney from NJCU is also worthy of consideration.  Here is a story from the front page about his path to NJCU, very inspirational.
http://www.d3hoops.com/seasons/men/2017-18/contrib/20180130xelrj7

"In the end we will survive rather than perish not because we accumulate comfort and luxury but because we accumulate wisdom"  Colonel Jack Jacobs US Army (Ret).

BluesBrother

Obviously Whitman won't have three All-Americans, but Joey Hewitt and Austin Butler should be in the conversation along with Tim Howell. Howell is still the guy they'll turn to when they need a bucket, but Hewitt has been very impressive all year and Butler just does it all. Butler is leading Whitman, in steals, blocks, rebounds, and assists, while shooting 68% from the floor. He's really amazing to watch out there!

Smitty Oom

Tyheim Monroe is pretty much a lock, probably for first team. Dude is a double double machine.

Nate Axelrod of OWU is also a good bet for All-American selection.

Others out of Ohio that haven't been mentioned yet, but more of an outside shot of AA status:
- The duo of ONU Burger and Bruns (both are over 24 ppg, what is the most points a duo has averaged in a single year. Pretty impressive by these two)
- Dempsey, Muskingum
- Kuhn, BWU
- Matthew, John Carroll

Aston Francis of Wheaton was Pre-Season All-American and having a tremendous year, so we will be seeing him on either 1st or 2nd teams, more than likely.

Elsewhere in the Central, we have some good candidates:
- Brady Rose for a top #15 IWU squad, leading the CCIW
- Sorenson, NCC
- Herink, UW-RF

West Region may not have too many AA nods this year but here is a short list:
- Kevin Grow, Carleton
- Tyler Weiss, #4 SJU
- Josh Ruggles, Loras
- Douglas, UM-Morris (UMAC and not a great team so he won't get recognized but has some real solid numbers)

D3ball1845

Not trying to be negative, but I'm not sure why Marcos Echevarria is even listed as an All-American candidate at this point in the season. There are three players I can list off the top of my head from the CCC who are having overall better seasons than him (Keith Brown of Endicott, Austin Coene of Roger Williams, and Eric Demers of Gordon). Maybe he is just being considered more because he plays on a better team that gets more national recognition but the three other players I listed all play on teams that are at least 6 games above .500 as well. Marcos is a great player but compared to last year he is simply underperforming (barely shooting above 40% from the field).

Greek Tragedy

Some of you may already know this, but we did an All-American pool prior to the season starting. So this is like that one, but midseason. It's in the Fantasy League tab if anyone is interested to see who we picked in November.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

nescac1

Echeverria is certainly putting up all-American numbers: 22-4-5 plus 2 spg, on 42/43/80 shooting.  His true shooting percentage is very high when you consider how many 3's he attempts (well more than half his attempts).  Keith Brown is having a tremendous year but his team was blown out twice by Nichols, and players tend to get rewarded for team success.  I would not say he is having a better individual season statistically, either -- 25-5-2 plus 1 spg, on 46/42/73 shooting.  I'd call that basically a wash.  Demers, likewise, is just a tad behind Echeverria statistically, on a worse team.

Coene's stats are off-the-charts good, for sure: 24-7-3.5, 2 spg, 56/49/73.  He suffers too from playing on a team that hasn't made, and is not likely to make, regional, let alone national, noise (they have also lost twice to Nichols), but based on stats alone he is worthy of all-regional consideration and as a junior will certainly be on the short list for all-American as a senior if he keeps improving.  Still, ultimately team success matters, especially for players who play in a low-profile conference that is almost certain to be a one-bid league, and Echeverria has led his team to the front of the league, despite some adversity (the second-best player on the team missing a good chunk of time, including both league losses).  Also, Nichols has tested itself vs. Wesleyan and Trinity ... Roger Williams, on the other hand, has played no one of consquence (outside of Nichols).

Greek Tragedy

Here is the list of our All American predictions...before the season started. The requirement was that they couldn't be listed on the D3hoops.com preseason list.

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on November 15, 2017, 03:28:49 PM
Looks like we got 10 posters participating.

Player      Votes   
   Pace       8   
   Sanders       7   
   Nichols       6   
   Rose       5   
   Scadlock       5   
   Ekekeugbor       4   
   Kenny       4   
   McCarthy       4   
   Roach       4   
   Neal       3   
   Schimonitz       3   
   Sortillo       3   
   Traub       3   
   Carter       2   
   Cooper       2   
   Daly       2   
   Federici       2   
   Feehan       2   
   Hawkins       2   
   Long       2   
   Moore       2   
   Murdock       2   
   Simonds       2   
   Boll      1   
   Brown      1   
   Bruton      1   
   Colhoff      1   
   Davis      1   
   Fails      1   
   Hewitt      1   
   Highsmith      1   
   Jomard      1   
   Jones      1   
   Light      1   
   Meinholz      1   
   Orr      1   
   Rapoza      1   
   Scibelli      1   
   Smith      1   
   Stenglein      1   
   Thomasson      1   
   Tyler      1   
   Weiss      1   
   Wind      1   
   POTY      Votes   
   Howell*       3   
   Axelrod*       2   
   Bonacum*      1   
   Monroe*      1   
   Rupkus*      1   
   Sorenson*      1   
   Walters*      1   
   Rookie      Votes   
   Williams**       3   
   Perkins**       2   
   Guitierrez**      1   
   Jordan**      1   
   Preston**      1   
   Robinson**      1   
   Uzorh**      1   
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Greek Tragedy

And this is D3hoops' preseason AA

Do you think all the good players are taken? Of the 25 preseason All-Americans selected last year, only 10 made the list at the end of the year. Harvey and Blackledge made 1st team, Herink and Jack for 2nd team and Howell and Bonacum made 3rd team, all without getting preseason nods. Plenty of guys to choose from.

http://www.d3hoops.com/awards/all-americans/men/preseason-2018

First team            
Pos.   Player   School   Year   Hometown
G   Nate Axelrod   Ohio Wesleyan   Sr.   Dublin, Ohio
G   Tim Howell   Whitman   Sr.   Calabasas, Calif.
G/F   Wes McKinney   Hanover   Sr.   Batesville, Ind.
F   Thomas Bonacum   Ramapo   Sr.   Fanwood, N.J.
F   Alex Herink   Wis.-River Falls   Sr.   Hudson, Wis.
Second team            
G   Aston Francis   Wheaton (Ill.)    Jr.    Tyler, Texas
G   Chrishawn Orange    Augustana    Jr.    Algonquin, Ill.
G   Edvinas Rupkus    Skidmore    Jr.    Naujoji Akmene, Lithuania
F   Tyheim Monroe    Cabrini    Sr.   Philadephia, Pa.
F   Alex Sorenson    North Central (Ill.)    Sr.    Dunlap, Ill.
Third team            
G   Raheem Anderson   Husson    Sr.    Miramar, Fla.
G   Marcos Echevarria   Nichols   Jr.   Lynn, Mass.
G   Michael Scarlett   Claremont-Mudd-Scripps    Sr.    Irvine, Calif.
F   Cooper Cook    Nebraska Wesleyan    Jr.    Overland Park, Kan.
F   Connor Raridon    North Central (Ill.)    So.   Plainfield, Ill.
Fourth team            
G   Jake Ross    Springfield    So.    Northampton, Mass.
G   David Stokman    St. John's    Jr.    Maple Lake, Minn.
G   Cam Wiley    Swarthmore    Jr.    Atlanta, Ga.
F   Adam Gigax    Emory    Sr.    Mason, Ohio
C   Patrick MacDonald    SUNY-Maritime    Sr.    Buffalo, N.Y.
Honorable mention           
G   Nick Comenale   Babson    Sr.    New York Mills, N.Y.
G   Chris Jones    UW-Whitewater    Sr.    Milwaukee, Wis.
G   Rich Ross    Wells    Jr.   Bronx, N.Y.
F   Jaqhawn Walters   Albertus Magnus    Jr.    Hartford, Conn.
F   Jay Howard   Catholic
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!