MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Titan Q

Tonight, #2 UW-Oshkosh at #17 Augustana.  The defending champs of the two best leagues in Division III go head to head.  Great stuff.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Titan Q on November 09, 2019, 06:57:12 AM
Carroll 74
Rockford 64

* Charlie Soule: 19 pts, 7 reb, 3 assists
* Nick Penny: 19 pts, 5 reb
* Kale Maupin: 12 pts, 6 reb

https://gopios.com/boxscore.aspx?path=mbball&id=11297

Carroll's rotation was...

G - Ryan Clarey, 6-0/180 Jr.
G - Nick Penny, 6-2/185 Sr.
F - Charlie Soule, 6-2/190 Sr.
F - Kale Maupin, 6-4/210 Sr.
F - Blake Williams, 6-6/185 So.
---------
G - Tarren Hall, 6-2/185 Jr.
G - Justin Gruber, 5-10/175 Jr.
F - Dylan Ingebrigtsen, 6-5/225 So.

Last season Carroll ended up as Massey #80 and Rockford finished at #263. That is a massive gap. It would've taken a seismic shift in roster personnel during the off-season to have evened up the Pioneers and the Regents, and the loss of big Tyler Ingebrigtsen plus whatever Rockford gained (if anything) certainly wasn't going to be enough to bring that about.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Gregory Sager

"I knew coming in this was going to be a process this year," said Giovanine, who opens his 21st season at the Viking helm. "We're going to have to really evolve and develop as the season goes on. It's a tough start, but that's OK. We'll be exposed and hopefully learn from it."

"We'll be exposed"? I didn't think that Grey Giovanine was the type to make a concession speech before the visiting opponent had even left its campus.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

mr_b

Quote from: Gregory Sager on November 09, 2019, 11:37:53 AM
"I knew coming in this was going to be a process this year," said Giovanine, who opens his 21st season at the Viking helm. "We're going to have to really evolve and develop as the season goes on. It's a tough start, but that's OK. We'll be exposed and hopefully learn from it."

"We'll be exposed"? I didn't think that Grey Giovanine was the type to make a concession speech before the visiting opponent had even left its campus.
Maybe it was a pre-stomp, or a preemptive stomp.

Smitty Oom

Quote from: Gregory Sager on November 09, 2019, 11:37:53 AM

He's lulling the Titans to sleep.. he wants to be the under dog this year!

kiko

Was his jacket on or off when he said this?  ::)

Titan Q

Final from Rock Island:

#2 UW-Oshkosh 74
#17 Augustana 67

https://athletics.augustana.edu/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2019-20/uw-oshkosh/boxscore/3447

* Adam Fravert: 14 pts, 11 reb
* Jack Flynn: 14 pts, 6 reb

* Jarrett Tribble 17 pts
* Jack McDonald 11 pts, 3 reb
* Carson Frakes 10 pts, 5 reb.

Augie played without 6-11/240 C Micah Martin (academic issues) and their expected starting SG Austin Elledge (groin injury).

Augie's 11 man rotation tonight included 3 freshmen, 2 transfers, and 1 player who was a full-time JV guy last year -- 55% of their personnel tonight was not in the rotation last year.  They will very much be a work in progress this year.  The Vikings were just 4-16 from 3 tonight -- outside shooting is a real question mark with this team.

Augie has a lot of talent -- much of it is inexperienced.  The Vikings should be a very good team when everyone settles into roles and they get it all meshed together.

I thought the Titans looked great.  That 1-2 punch they have with Flynn and Fravert is so good.

#2 Oshkosh next gets #3 North Central, in Naperville.

Titan Q

A few years ago I got a random text from former IWU All-American/CCIW M.O.P. Adam Dauksas ('06).  It said something very close to, "Played a pickup game at H-F tonight w/ Jarrett Tribble.  Going to Augie.  Will be the CCIW M.O.P. someday."

Whether or not Adam turns out to to be right, we'll see.  But I saw tonight that Tribble is very talented - super quick and a great penetrator.

This will not be any kind of rebuild at Augie.  It will be a reload.  Now, whether it is a 4th place reload or a 1st, we will see.  The Vikings have some question marks for sure.

Titan Q

I have heard a lot about Augie freshman PG Jack McDonald.  I don't think he played great tonight (he was good), but he is going to be great at some point.  Reminds me of the PG that just left - Nolan Ebel.  Really good ball handler; quick with the ball in his hands; can tell he has toughness and smarts and overall game about him.  I have heard he can really shoot it too -- but I think he only shot one 3 tonight (made it).

6-9 FR Daniel Carr is going to be good too.  Really big-bodied FR.  At this point seems like he wants to shoot jumpshots more that do stuff down low.  I think if he can develop his game to be more inside/out, as opposed to outside/in, he'll be a ton.

6-6 transfer Justin Bottorff, a former D2 scholarship guy, started tonight at the 4.  He's very skilled and is going to be really good.

6-4 wing Jacob Pauley is talented but didn't do a ton tonight.  I'm interested to see how Augie's rotation shakes out and where Pauley fits.  They have several options at the 3.

Gregory Sager

Final from the North Shore:

Lake Forest 91
North Park 62

Lawrence Pointer: 17 pts
Toby Marek: 16 pts
Karl Polk, Jr.: 12 pts
Matt Szuba: 8 rebs, 3 stls
Matt Mohr: 6 rebs

The NPU shooting line: 39% / 28% / 54%. The 18 turnovers didn't help, either.

Titan Q

Rotations used by the CCIW teams that have played so far...

Augustana
G - Jack Jelen, 5-10/176 Jr.
G - Jack McDonald*, 5-11/163 Fr.
F - Pierson Wofford, 6-3/198 Sr.
F - Justin Bottorff*, 6-6/202 So.
C - Donovan Ferguson, 6-9/227 Sr.
---------
G - Jarrett Tribble*, 6-2/157 Jr.
F - Carson Frakes, 6-6/185 Jr.
C - Roman Youngblut, 6-8/208 Sr.
F - Jacob Pauley*, 6-4/178 Jr.
C - Daniel Carr*, 6-8/235 Fr.
G - Matt Hanushewsky*, 5-9/151 Fr.

Out:
G - Austin Elledge, 6-0/167 Sr. (groin injury; expected starter at SG)
C - Micah Martin, 6-11/242 Sr. (academic issues; expected starter at C)
G - Lucas Simon, 6-5/173 Sr. (March ACL surgery; expected 6th man)

Carroll
G - Ryan Clarey, 6-0/180 Jr.
G - Nick Penny, 6-2/185 Sr.
F - Charlie Soule, 6-2/190 Sr.
F - Kale Maupin, 6-4/210 Sr.
F - Blake Williams, 6-6/185 So.
---------
G - Tarren Hall, 6-2/185 Jr.
G - Justin Gruber*, 5-10/175 Jr.
F - Dylan Ingebrigtsen*, 6-5/225 So.

North Park
G - Jacquan Binion*, 5-6/135 Fr.
G - Izaiah Sanders, 5-11/165 Jr.
G - Toby Marek, 6-1/180 Jr.
F - Matt Szuba, 6-6/210 Jr.
F - Karl Polk Jr.*, 6-6/210 Fr.
---------
G - Lawrence Pointer*, 5-9/150 Jr.
F - Matt Mohr*, 6-6/190 Jr.
G - Darion Binion*, 5-10/160 Fr.
F - Alan Nikoletic, 6-2/190 So.
F - Simon Jacobsen, 6-3/190 So.
F - Adam Bulwa*, 6-5/190 Fr.
G - Oscar Ruiz*, 5-10/175 Jr.
G - Gabe Arter*, 6-3/170 Fr.

* Player was not part of the rotation last season.

AndOne

Miles Curry, who was predicted to be a really good player for IWU, and who was a member of the 2016-2017 and 2017-2018 Green Teams before his star burned out in Bloomington, has resurfaced in Chicago. He is now a starter for Todd Kelly at Illinois Tech. Last night, in the Scarlet Hawks season opening 75-71 loss to Trine, Curry had 12 points.

Titan Q

Millikin rotation through 1st half.  Lots of size on the floor this year.

G - Troy Burrows, 5-11/170 Jr.
G - Jake Hampton, 6-0/170 So.
G - Calvin Fisher, 6-6/200 So.
F - Korbin Farmer, 6-7/180 Sr.
F - Cole Laurence, 6-9/250 Fr.
-------
F - JT Jablonski, 6-9/250 Fr.
G - CJ Mitchell, 6-2/170 So.
G - Sam Stichnote, 6-2/185 Fr.
F - Tyler Joest, 6-9/190 So.
G - Kevin Miller, 6-1/160 Sr.
F - Trey Griffey, 6-7/250 Fr.

The MU broadcaster said, "Zach Fisher is not available due to off the court reasons but will be back later in the season."

Greek Tragedy

If Micah Martin is out for academic issues, does that mean he's out for the semester or it's still being "worked on"?
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!