MBB: NESCAC

Started by cameltime, April 27, 2005, 02:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

P'bearfan

http://www.si.com/longform/haverford/index.html

Found this link posted on the Centennial Conference board....a bit off topic as the article focuses on the Haverford MBB team's losing streak in the '90's but a great read nonetheless.  A few brief mentions of NESCAC schools.

fanfromct

Spanish Basketball Report

Aaron Toomey - 7/14 floor (incl 4/7 3pt) - 7 reb - 4 assists - 18 points. Won. Team 2-3. 10th place/15 teams-LEB Silver
Michael Mayer - 4/6 floor - 6 reb - 1 assist - 8 points - Won. Undefeated (6-0) and tied for first/15 teams-LEB Silver
Will Hanley - 7/11 floor (incl 1/2 3pt) - 5/6 line - 5 reb - 1 assist - 4 steals - 20 points. Team gets first win (1-5). 17th place/18 teams-ACB
From D3 - U Rochester - another Connecticut product - John DiBartolomeo plays in the Spainsh Gold League in his second year in Spain
2/6 floor (incl 2/5 3pt) - 7/8 line - 2 reb - 3 assists - 1 steal - 13 points. Loss - Team 3-3 tied 5th/15 teams.

quicksilver

Good story on Tom Palleschi's medical condition and recovery. It sounds like he is good to go -- his father and uncle had similar heart conditions but theirs required more surgery, etc, and were more serious than his. Tom Palleschi's heart condition is described as similar to the Celtics' Jeff Green's heart condition -- we know that Green missed a lot of time when he had surgery but was as good as new once his recovery and rehab were complete.

nescac1

Very cool: former Eph Marquis Daisy, who played for the Eph national championship squad, has an upcoming ESPN 30-for-30 about Randy Moss.  More info including Daisy's thoughts here:

http://espn.go.com/30for30/film?page=randuniversity

Williams may not produce many pro athletes, but I can't imagine that any school, regardless of size, produces many more folks making names for themselves in sports media!

grabtherim

Congratulations to Marquis.  That said, I guess you have never heard of the Newhouse School at Syracuse. If you watch any sports on TV, chances are someone from Newhouse is directly involved or one degree of separation away from it.   

Quote from: nescac1 on November 10, 2014, 09:01:07 AM
Very cool: former Eph Marquis Daisy, who played for the Eph national championship squad, has an upcoming ESPN 30-for-30 about Randy Moss.  More info including Daisy's thoughts here:

http://espn.go.com/30for30/film?page=randuniversity

Williams may not produce many pro athletes, but I can't imagine that any school, regardless of size, produces many more folks making names for themselves in sports media!

P'bearfan

QuoteGood story on Tom Palleschi's medical condition and recovery.

Thanks for posting.  Great to hear that Palleschi is healthy again...and the chance for him to play ball is just terrific.  Stories like this one help keep everything in perspective.

nescac1

Fair enough, I should have qualified my statements on a per capita basis ... there I am more confident!  In addition to Daisy, there are about 20 other Eph alums in very prominent roles in sports journalism or television/film production, which is pretty incredible for a liberal arts school without a journalism program. 

ronk

While Scranton doesn't have the numbers, we do have the quality with John A. Walsh(Executive Editor of ESPN) and Rich Chvotkin(radio voice of Georgetown and Big East BBall).

NothingButNESCAC

Been following the board from afar but will try to get on the board more often now that the season is starting. We have been busy with football, but we are going to have a lot of stuff out this week.

http://nothingbutnescac.com/2014/11/10/basketball-season-introduction-storylines/

P'bearfan

QuoteBeen following the board from afar but will try to get on the board more often now that the season is starting. We have been busy with football, but we are going to have a lot of stuff out this week.

http://nothingbutnescac.com/2014/11/10/basketball-season-introduction-storylines/

Great job guys!  Really enjoyed the video.  Thanks for taking the time to put it together.  Looking forward to future installments.

P'bearfan

http://athletics.bowdoin.edu/sports/mbkb/2014-15/roster

Bowdoin's roster for the upcoming season is now up on the website.  The P'bears will have 13 players again this year.  A couple of quick observations:

-There are 4 FYs joining the team (2 Guards: Blake Gordon and Charlie DiPasquale and 2 Swingmen: Liam Farley and Sam Jablonski)
-One walk on has been added to the roster –Stephen Girolamo a Junior Guard is also a Shortstop on the baseball team
-2 players from last year's squad, guard Bernie Clevens and forward Marko Peracia, are not playing this year. 

A key to this season will be Hurley, Swords and Pieri staying healthy.  If that happens then Bowdoin has a good base to build on.  However, even with those 3 players at 100% all season, the P'bears will have to adjust to the loss of Grant White, Matt Mathias and Andrew Madlinger who accounted for the majority of long range scoring.  Hopefully the team will be able to find its personality and flow early on.

Looking forward to the start of the season on Saturday.

grabtherim

Fantastic story and everyone has to feel great for this kid.  He and Sabety at their best present major match up problems for every team in the league. 

Quote from: quicksilver on November 10, 2014, 03:23:05 AM
Good story on Tom Palleschi's medical condition and recovery. It sounds like he is good to go -- his father and uncle had similar heart conditions but theirs required more surgery, etc, and were more serious than his. Tom Palleschi's heart condition is described as similar to the Celtics' Jeff Green's heart condition -- we know that Green missed a lot of time when he had surgery but was as good as new once his recovery and rehab were complete.

middhoops

Palleschi and Sabety are an offensive nightmare, but.....they may present some offensive opportunities to teams with wing shooters at the other end of the floor.  Still, yeah; I would die to have that pair under the hoop.  That's a whole lot of muscle.
Amherst may have the bodies to deal with them but it's a stretch.
No pun intended.

nescac1

Tufts' roster posted: http://gotuftsjumbos.com/sports/mbkb/2014-15/roster

Tufts looks like easily the deepest and most talented team in NESCAC on paper.  Of course, that has been true on a few previous occasions in which they haven't won the league, but I can't see this team not making the NCAA's if it stays healthy.  Palleschi and Sabety are already among the best 1-2 center combos in the country and will only get better with three years together, Haladyna is one of the best wing shooters in NESCAC and should be better with experience, Ferris now that he is healthy is a first-team all-league caliber guy, and Tarik Smith, the only real question mark in the starting five, is extremely talented and certainly has proven he can score.  Former D1 guy Spadafora is a nice luxury off the bench as a sixth-man scorer, and Drew Madsen would start on many teams in the league and could be a break-out guy as a sophomore.  Plus, Tufts brings in a large frosh class chalk-full of guards to challenge / complement Smith in the facilitator roles. 

Vinny Pace, an alumnus of my high school, is someone I've followed a bit and he's going to be good; a late-grower with great size and tenacity for a perimeter player.  Lots of hoops talent comes out of Bridgewater-Raritan and usually they succeed at a high level in college (most famously Eric Murdock, but in D3, James McNally was an all-American for F&M and Pace had similar H.S. credentials).