MBB: Midwest Conference

Started by siwash, February 10, 2005, 01:32:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greek Tragedy

Part of the reason why the CCIW team and it's conference has a higher SOS is because the conference as a whole is WINNING their non-conference games. When the CCIW teams play each other to start the conference season, their records are usually above .500 to start with and some are 8-1, 7-2 and 6-3 whereas MWC teams, in general, have records that are at or below .500.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Smitty Oom

I agree with GreenKnight that SOS has its limitations. I think we can all agree on that. First of which is geography. Second, it can be slightly reliant on the other schools in your conference to preform well in non-conference. Third, some teams have more non-conference games to boost their SOS.... BUT, like Greg said we need more than just WP to determine the 64 (20 Pool C) most worthy teams in D3 to make the tourney, and this does as good of a job as possible as we currently stand. With that being said, I think the committee this year is going away from leaning so heavily on SOS, at least that is what I have been able to infer from some Hoopsville episodes and taking a look at the first regional rankings.

Looking into the Great Lakes Region, a lot of people had Marietta (OAC)/Wooster (NCAC)/Capital (OAC)/Wabash (NCAC) in some order for the top 4 teams in that region, with Wittenberg (NCAC) and La Roche (AMCC) rounding out the 5 and 6 spots. This was based on the how the committees weighed the given criteria in the past. La Roche has been a hot topic as they have been rolling through their weaker conference sitting at 15-0 this far. It is clear that they tried to have a very competitive non-conference, scheduling Hope (L), Clavin (W), Marietta (L) and John Carroll (W) as these are often very good teams.
But the results are just alright, especially the Hope result, which is just an average MIAA team this year.

However, when the regional ranks came out, La Roche (19-2) was 3rd in the GL despite only a .505 SOS. This was over #4 Capital (17-4/.530) and #5 Wabash (16-3/.520).

So GreenKnight, it will be interesting to see what the committee does this year concerning La Roche and Pomona-Pitzer (another team with a great record and not so great SOS from a below average conference) should they not secure their conferences AQ.

What Greek and Greg has stated is all correct and the committee is not going to start taking a Pool C team from the SCIAC/AMCC/MWC year in and year out, but there is reason to believe that in the near future a path to a Pool C bid may be easier for great teams from these weaker D3 conferences than it was in the past.

gbpuckfan

SNC thumps Grinnell, avenging its only conference loss thus far. SNC needs one win in the final two games to clinch the regular season title and tournament hosting duties

Grinnell is in, and LFC should be. Basically Ripon and Monmouth vying for the last spot.
St. Norbert College Green Knights
NCAA D3 Hockey National Champions 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
Midwest Conf. football champs: 85, 87, 88, 89, 99, 00, 01, 02, 03, 04, 06, 07, 10, 12, 13, 15, 18

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The SOS is not the main arbitrator for rankings and selections. It has become in the last few years an easy item to cherry pick and use with the WL%. It didn't help that the national committee sometimes leaned heavily (and sometimes not so heavily) on the .030 SOS difference being a two-game WL adjuster. That, arguably, made the SOS a much too strong contributor to the conversation, but even then it wasn't always the main decider.

That SOS/WL tool has been completely removed. There are some on the RACs and national committee who think the SOS gives a better measure of a team, there are others who believe in the WL%, and I think that is about 50/50. What I do know, though, is that an entire resumes are discussed and gaudy SOS numbers I don't think are going to carry the way as they have on occasion in the past. That doesn't mean the NESCAC won't get a few extra bids, but their other criteria is helping them.

In this conference's situation, teams on the whole have to do two things: schedule better and win more games on their schedules. Too many teams in this conference do not schedule well (going for easy opponents) and then some don't even win games they should. That hurts everyone including the top teams in the conference.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

AndOne

If SNC wins the regular season MWC championship, but loses in their first game in the conference tournament, do they still go to the national tournament?

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: AndOne on February 11, 2019, 11:41:38 PM
If SNC wins the regular season MWC championship, but loses in their first game in the conference tournament, do they still go to the national tournament?

No.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on February 12, 2019, 07:36:33 AM
Quote from: AndOne on February 11, 2019, 11:41:38 PM

No.

To follow this up ... the WIAC and CCIW have a strangle-hold on the regional rankings. I can't envision anyone jumping into the rankings high enough to be a serious at-large contender from the Central Region other than Chicago ... and even their leap would be doubtful.

Week 2's rankings will be much more revealing, but the Central Region is looking like a low-bid region right now.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

gbpuckfan

Ripon and Monmouth tied for the last spot.

Ripon plays the 1-23 SiwashPrairie Fire, while Monmouth plays first-place SNC

Even with SNC wrapping up the title, I think edge Ripon....
Midwest Conf. football champs: 85, 87, 88, 89, 99, 00, 01, 02, 03, 04, 06, 07, 10, 12, 13, 15, 18

scottie

HEY PAL, DON'T BLOCK THE SHOT!

gbpuckfan

#1 SNC plays #4 Monmouth
#2 Grinnell plays #3 Lake Forest

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

gbpuckfan

In a game with 5 ties and 9 lead changes, SNC holds on for a 73-72 win

SNC took the lead on two free throws with :14 left

Monmouth went to the line with :08 left, but missed them both. Monmouth fouled SNC, which missed a FT. Monmouth misses a shot at the buzzer. SNC wins

In the other semi, Lake Forest CRUSHED Grinnell, 99-77. And the Pioneers had a 10 point halftime lead - but were outscored  55-23 in the second half. GC shot 3-16 from 3 in the second half

AndOne

Lake Forest beats St. Norbs in the MWC Tournament Championship game. One again the Green Team wins conference but not the tournament. At 19-8 are they still going to the National?

Gregory Sager

Congrats to the Foresters for losing their tournament virginity, as this will be the first time ever that Lake Forest has gone dancing after four and a half decades of never making the D3 tourney.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell