Pool B

Started by Ralph Turner, October 01, 2005, 02:12:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HSCTiger74

Good win for your guys today, Wesleydad. Unfortunately things didn't go so well for my Tigers, so I suspect you will be seeing them next week in Dover when they show up for their appointed beatdown. Unless they get sent to Belton, which could be even worse.
In either case, when you're right you're right, and you were right.
TANSTAAFL

wesleydad

hsc, i am not sure if hampden gets sent to either place.  if they get seeded 8th they could end up in dc to play hopkins since they will likely be the 2 seed.  there seem to be 5 schools in the south south bracket so one of them may get sent north, thomas moore fits that scenario, or at least i think they do.  saw the box score for your game, do they play any defense, 500+ yards is a lot to give up.  if they play hopkins it might be a long game time wise since hopkins likes to throw the ball all over the field too.  clock may be stopping a lot.

HSCTiger74

Quote from: wesleydad on November 12, 2011, 07:43:20 PM
hsc, i am not sure if hampden gets sent to either place.  if they get seeded 8th they could end up in dc to play hopkins since they will likely be the 2 seed.  there seem to be 5 schools in the south south bracket so one of them may get sent north, thomas moore fits that scenario, or at least i think they do.  saw the box score for your game, do they play any defense, 500+ yards is a lot to give up.  if they play hopkins it might be a long game time wise since hopkins likes to throw the ball all over the field too.  clock may be stopping a lot.

None that I've been able to see, and this has been one of my biggest complaints for a while. What some H-SC folks call Martyball seems to focus on the idea that "it doesn't matter how many points they score as long as we score more". Unfortunately that turns out badly if the opposition decides to play serious defense themselves. I think they're looking at another one and done no matter where they get sent.
TANSTAAFL

Ralph Turner

Quote from: HSCTiger74 on November 12, 2011, 07:31:06 PM
Good win for your guys today, Wesleydad. Unfortunately things didn't go so well for my Tigers, so I suspect you will be seeing them next week in Dover when they show up for their appointed beatdown. Unless they get sent to Belton, which could be even worse.

No, actually better.  Much better barbecue and Tex-Mex in Belton than Dover.

Besides, bring your golf clubs...should be much better weather for golf in Texas.  ;)

@d3jason

Quote from: Ralph Turner on November 12, 2011, 09:44:32 PM

No, actually better.  Much better barbecue and Tex-Mex in Belton than Dover.

Besides, bring your golf clubs...should be much better weather for golf in Texas.  ;)

Have to say "Where Pigs Fly is" is pretty good in Dover since I hear Harold's in Abliene is no longer with us. The Tex-Mex in the UMHB pressbox is unmatched however.

K-Mack

What? They went great!

Now you can go into the postseason humbled and inspired! Hold it down for the ODAC!
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

HSCTiger74

Quote from: K-Mack on November 15, 2011, 12:22:53 AM

What? They went great!

Now you can go into the postseason humbled and inspired! Hold it down for the ODAC!

Just one more example of the truism that the winners write the histories.   :)
I suppose there's an outside chance they can "hold it down" at Centre, but I wouldn't bet on them with someone else's money if they get to Alliance. Even blind loyalty has to give way to reality on occasion.
TANSTAAFL

K-Mack

Quote from: HSCTiger74 on November 15, 2011, 12:38:07 AM
Quote from: K-Mack on November 15, 2011, 12:22:53 AM

What? They went great!

Just one more example of the truism that the winners write the histories.   :)
I suppose there's an outside chance they can "hold it down" at Centre, but I wouldn't bet on them with someone else's money if they get to Alliance. Even blind loyalty has to give way to reality on occasion.

The NCAA strictly frowns upon talk of betting, but those would have to be some pretty sweet odds for me to take H-SC at UMU too. Even at 100-1 you're probably just wasting a dollar, right?

I think winning at Centre and playing Mount Union would be great. And UMU might be weakened this year but they're still stout on D.
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

Ron Boerger

Hey, Keith!  Centre has just as good a chance of going to UMU and getting pounded, c'mon!!    ;)

jknezek

Quote from: Ron Boerger on November 15, 2011, 07:42:10 AM
Hey, Keith!  Centre has just as good a chance of going to UMU and getting pounded, c'mon!!    ;)

As someone who has seen both teams against a common opponent, W&L, I would say Centre has a better chance. Two of H-SC's last three have not been good games, the first half against W&L is the big exception. Also, H-SC has had 3 flat out bad games this year, Huntingdon, Guilford and R-MC. The common denominator? They were 3 of H-SC's 4 road games.

That being said, H-SC is a capable team. They can play with anyone in the 12-240 rankings if they choose to. The QB is excellent, the line play is good, the defense is... variable. I feel the same about Centre and with many of the same attributes. I see this as a battle of like versus like and I'm looking forward to it. Playing at home gives Centre the edge, but this is a winnable game by either team in my mind.

I wouldn't give either team a snowball's chance in the tropics against UMU, but it does snow on the mountains of Hawaii...

K-Mack

I agree, I just happened to not be talking to a person from Centre right then so their chances seemed irrelevant to the conversation.
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

K-Mack

Quote from: jknezek on November 15, 2011, 09:43:40 AM

As someone who has seen both teams against a common opponent, W&L, I would say Centre has a better chance. Two of H-SC's last three have not been good games, the first half against W&L is the big exception. Also, H-SC has had 3 flat out bad games this year, Huntingdon, Guilford and R-MC. The common denominator? They were 3 of H-SC's 4 road games.

That being said, H-SC is a capable team. They can play with anyone in the 12-240 rankings if they choose to. The QB is excellent, the line play is good, the defense is... variable. I feel the same about Centre and with many of the same attributes. I see this as a battle of like versus like and I'm looking forward to it. Playing at home gives Centre the edge, but this is a winnable game by either team in my mind.

I wouldn't give either team a snowball's chance in the tropics against UMU, but it does snow on the mountains of Hawaii...

I saw H-SC play in what I have to believe was not their best game of the year, but they can move the ball. The D is statistically the worst in the playoffs (200th yardage, 149th scoring) which can't bode well.
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

Ralph Turner

Pool B Wesley wins in the first round over Hobart, 35-28.

smedindy

That was a closer result than many thought.

Upstate

Quote from: smedindy on November 19, 2011, 07:07:01 PM
That was a closer result than many thought.

Especially since Hobart was w/o their #1 QB and WR...

Great game from them today...

The views expressed in the above post do not represent the views of St. John Fisher College, their athletic department, their coaching staff or their players. I am an over zealous antagonist that does not have any current connection to the institution I attended.