BB: SAA: Southern Athletic Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, April 29, 2012, 07:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LynxCat39

Rhodes and BSC both split their double headers today. Rhodes at Berry and BSC at home against Centre.

sportsfan

good matchup this weekend with Rhodes and B Southern to wrap up the SAA regular season

LynxCat39

After squandering an early lead in both games yesterday, Rhodes takes the 3rd game from BSC 7-1. Looks like if Rhodes wants to make a push for a pool B bid, they're going to, at the least, make it to the SAA championship.

LynxCat39

Crazy end to the Oglethorpe v. Berry game yesterday. Oglethorpe, down 4 in the top of the 9th, scores three runs to make it a one run game. With bases loaded and one out, Oglethorpe hits what should have been a sac fly to tie the game. Berry's left fielder catches the ball, runners take off, but BEFORE the tying run scores at the plate, Berry throws out the Oglethorpe runner trying to take third for the game-ending out. Berry squeaks out a victory by one run in one of the most bizarre endings to a game I've seen.

Berry v. Rhodes play in the matchup of winners from yesterday, as well as  BSC/Hendrix.

Millsaps, Sewanee, Oglethorpe, and Centre all play this afternoon to keep their season alive.

108 Stitches

That same exact play happened vs the Yankees last week.

LynxCat39

BSC defeats Millsaps to advance in the SAA tournament, and will host the winner of the Rhodes/Berry game currently playing.

After Rhodes took the first game, the second game was delayed by about 4 hours, and is finally starting back up. Rhodes leads 6-1 in the top of the 5th at a soaked Berry College field.

LynxCat39

Rhodes wins 12-2 after mashing 17 hits, and getting a stellar performance by senior Pat Kilkenny who came in after the lengthy rain delay and finished the game, giving up only one run in the process.

looks like i'll be at the SAA championships at BSC next weekend! ROLL LYNX

Bob_Lotts

SAA all conference team announced and no surprises in the major award winners. Radack is a dynamite player and was clearly the best player in the conference. Stevens also was the best pitcher in the conference..even though teammate Miles Nordgren and Rhodes' Glauben were close behind.

However, after looking at the list more closely how in the world is Patrick Kulick from Oglethorpe not on the first team? And for that matter how is Patrick Kilkenny not on the 2nd team? Andrew Rafferty is a good player for Millsaps and he had a fine year, and nothing against him...but I don't see how he is 1st team over Kulick or even Kilkenny?

Kulick - .364 BA (5th), 1.041 OPS... 56 hits, 16 doubles, 7 HR's, 37 Runs, 33 RBI's, 95 total bases
Kilkenny - .336 BA (15th), .902 OPS...51 Hits, 17 doubles, 3 HRs, 29 Runs, 25 RBI's, 77 total bases
Rafferty - .373 BA (3rd), .850 OPS...  50 hits, 5 doubles, 0 HRs, 17 runs, 17 RBI's, 55 total bases

Is there something I'm missing here?

34sidewinder

Good point there Bob.  I'm not seeing it either.  Kulick got shorted pretty bad - didn't realize he had those numbers.  7 bombs is no joke in the BBCOR era. 

Kilkenny is a friend, so not to be biased, but yeah he can mash too.  I think second team would have been a solid spot. 

Excited for this SAA championship series!  Wish Birmingham wasn't so far away so I could attend.  Two really solid teams squaring off.  Does anyone know if a live stream will be set up like Berry had?  That was enjoyable coverage.

sportsfan

should be a great one tonight with B Southern and Rhodes with NCAA on the line....

LynxCat39

BSC defeats Rhodes 6-1 tonight.

Looks like it's do or die for the Lynx for the second weekend in a row!

LynxCat39

Rhodes and BSC both get regional bids and will be playing at Piedmont! Good luck to both teams!

Bob_Lotts

Really tough loss for BSC today...The rain in Demorest last night forced them to use both Stevens and Nordgren for 4+ innings. Now they face the #1 seed Shenandoah with probably their #3 going vs SU's #2. BSC has the pitching talent to work their way back from the loser's bracket but it wont be easy. The schedule for Friday will be interesting. Will they play 3 or 4 games Friday and if BSC wins will they have to play again Friday or get an extra day and bring back Stevens Saturday? I don't think they will bring him back on 1 day rest after throwing about 70 pitches.

Rhodes needs to score some runs vs Covenant if they want to stay alive, they've had trouble all year scoring consistently vs good pitching.

LynxCat39

Rhodes takes advantage of a lead off hit by pitch, Covenant error, two bases loaded walks, and a bases loaded wild pitch to score 5 runs in the bottom of the 8th to come from behind and win 5-3, surviving another day.

Ralph Turner

And the finally tally for BSC versus Rhodes in 2015 is, BSC 3 wins, Rhodes 3 wins.

But BSC won the last game they played.