Division III Players to Watch list?

Started by Bulldog16, February 11, 2008, 09:04:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

miacbaseballfan

Oshdude,

I think it's pretty clear that Kaczrowski belongs at 2B, considering he started there every game but one for the Danville Dans of the CICL last summer. Obviously his selection as POY is a nod to his summer performance. Although his numbers for the college season were outstanding, there are definitely a few other Division III guys who threw up stats that are arguably as good. For publications like Baseball America, performance in top summer wood bat leagues factors into pre-season honors heavily, and no Division III player even came close to putting up the numbers Kaczrowski did last summer.

OshDude

Quote from: miacbaseballfan on January 29, 2009, 11:21:05 PM
Oshdude,

I think it's pretty clear that Kaczrowski belongs at 2B, considering he started there every game but one for the Danville Dans of the CICL last summer. Obviously his selection as POY is a nod to his summer performance. Although his numbers for the college season were outstanding, there are definitely a few other Division III guys who threw up stats that are arguably as good. For publications like Baseball America, performance in top summer wood bat leagues factors into pre-season honors heavily, and no Division III player even came close to putting up the numbers Kaczrowski did last summer.
Fair enough. If you're projecting his pro position, 2B would make sense. But for me, if he's going to be on a D3 All-America team, I'd rather see him at his D3 position. I just thought it a bit convenient to place him as the best 2B when he played seven games at 2B last year. No big deal.

miacbaseballfan

You make an interesting point. The decision would have been much easier had Kolb not hit .527 with an OPS of 1.367 and 25/25 bags with only 2 errors.

DIIIBASEBALLFAN

John Semel Chapman University 2009
GAMES 8
AVG. .543
RUNS  12
HITS 19
2B    4
HR    5
RBI  13
SLG% 1.086
OB%   .571
SB    5

Jim Dixon

Quote from: DIIIBASEBALLFAN on February 13, 2009, 04:48:33 PM
John Semel Chapman University 2009
GAMES 8
AVG. .543
RUNS  12
HITS 19
2B    4
HR    5
RBI  13
SLG% 1.086
OB%   .571
SB    5

Good numbers against good competition.  Not to take anything away from Whittier but Semel has kept up his production with teams that are thought to factor in the playoff picture.

We will see where Chapman ends up on the 24th when the first regular season poll is released.