WBB: American Southwest Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, March 17, 2005, 02:27:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fanstand

Her only 4 points in the HSU game were from free throws, so they either contained her or she wasn't having a good night. She is your leading scorer Millie so I would think some focus would need to be keeping her from scoring. Last year MC would have liked to of had her, am I right? She isn't the whole team, but she is a good player. As for officials, I've been to the golden dome a few times, its sort of like playing at Sul Ross, things happen...its an aura thing, we have our share of stuff in texas from officials. Look at my note from the McM/HSU game, its just an opinion, no body is perfect.

millie

I actually think Lacey is a better player than she was 2 years ago.  I see more maturity and court awareness.  And don't get me wrong, MC is a much better team with her on the court.  What I saw in Lacey the other night was being a leader and being high scorer are not necessarily the same thing.

golfnut

I have been reading, but I have not said anything.  I have seen everyone in the west division with the exception of McM and HSU.  It sounds like from the results we are seeing and the margins of victories, the game tonight might very well be a preview of the ASC championship game.  I am a little surprised that UT Tyler has had some troubles in the east, but I am not surprised that MC seems to have turned things around.  I hate to tell you HPU fans this but I think you and HSU will probably be fighting for the two seed in the west.  I know it is early and a lot of things can happen but I was not that impressed with your team this year.  I am still wondering why Mia Daniels is not playing at a higher level.  She is impressive to me. 
Just a note on the polls.  I really don't know who is voting in these polls, I am sure Ralph can answer that, but they need to get out and watch some of these teams they are voting for.  I saw that last years D3 champ, Millikin, got beat by Illinois College.  IC played in the AC tournament at the start of the year and AC beat them pretty easily.  I do not think we are going to see AC ranked in the top 25 this year and IC was not very strong at all.  Millikin was ranked number seven at the time.  I talked to some of the IC parents when they were here and they said IC girls were not used to such physical play which kind of surprised me. 
Well I am signing off for now.  I will be listening to the game tonight.  Merry Christmas to all of you.

dballa

In the past 5 games Meia Daniels is averaging 22.6 pts 10.8 rebs. and 3.5 steals per game.  What more do you want her to do???

Your ladies caught HPU on the back end of a long road trip after Thanksgiving.  Don't think one game at the first part of the season means you have things well in hand.  McM still has to play HSU at home and has to play HPU two times.  So don't think the conference is decided just yet.

Ralph Turner

golfnut, Good to see you back again this year.  It is very hard to measure the women's hoops, even harder than the men.

There is lots of fans' interest in polls and I personally think that it takes the Christmas Holidays to sort the teams out.  Millikin plays in the CCIW which is a respectable conference.  They will probably be gauged very accurately by mid-January.  Defending champs get cut some slack.

QuoteThe D3hoops.com Top 25 is voted on by a panel of 25 coaches, Sports Information Directors and media members from across the country, and is published weekly.

Pat does a very good job of sending extensive lists to the pollsters about the best teams!  By February, the polls are very reliable.

golfnut

As usual my first post causes controversy.  Deballa I think you misunderstood what I meant when I said higher level.  I meant she could be playing D2 maybe even D1.  I also think I said in my earlier post, " I know it is early" when I was refering to my evaluation of not just HPU but all of the teams.  I will say that HPU played AC at home, road trip or not, and we had 30 turnovers and shot the ball terrible and you only beat us by 11 or so.  That is not what I have seen in past HPU teams.   

dballa

Well then I definitely did read your message wrong, for that I apologize.  She is a very good player but there are very good players all over this conference and the country.  A lot that could easily be going to school with a full ride. 

As an HPU fan I'm very happy she didn't choose that route :)

dballa

Pat Coleman,

If you read this anytime soon I was looking at the standings and the schedules.  It looks like one of the HPU women's wins isn't being picked up in the conference standings.  I thinking it's that LeTourneau game because it doesn't have the conference notation by it.  Plus their game against UT-Dallas on January 5th is not showing up on the schedule. 

Ralph Turner

14:20. 

McM  17,  Miss Coll  13.

Carli Engelke has 2 fouls, Richardson has 1 foul.

Jordan for MC has 6-6 on FT's off fouls by McM post players.

Ralph Turner

Media Timeout; just under 10 minutes left

McM 20,  Miss Coll 19. McM ball.

Ralph Turner

MC 28, McMurry 20, with about 8 minutes left in the half.

Ralph Turner

MC has put on a 21-6 run.  Miss Coll leads 34-23.   5:12 left in the 1st half.

Ralph Turner

Richardson gets her 2nd foul with 1:23 left.

Lady Chocs' Baham has had 10 points off the bench.

MC leads by 10.

Ralph Turner

Halftime

Miss Coll  35 , McM 27.

McM has only scored 7 points in the last 10 minutes.  They went very cold!

Ralph Turner

McM stats:  FG 9-25; 3FG 2-9; FT 7-12.  Rebs 6 off + 11 def = 17 tot.

Lady Chocs 45% on FG.  11-24 on FG.  FT's made- 11. Rebs 19.