WBB: American Southwest Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, March 17, 2005, 02:27:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dballa

Yeah inthepaint that is something that i want to know as well.  I won't be able to make the Friday games due to work but i'm hoping after an HPU victory on Friday i'll be able to make the game on Saturday.  Definitely need to know if tickets need to be bought ahead of time or if they can be bought at the game.

inthepaint

I believe I will be in West Texas Friday and driving through Abilene around tipoff.  Would love to drop in to Indian country and buy a ticket!

dballa

FYI according to the news and the McMurry website the HPU/TU game starts at 5pm not 5:30pm as stated earlier by another person.  And the HSU/McM game does start at 8pm.

The Saturday 2nd round game starts at 6pm.

d3fan4life

Quote from: dballa on February 27, 2006, 09:35:12 PM
Yeah inthepaint that is something that i want to know as well.  I won't be able to make the Friday games due to work but i'm hoping after an HPU victory on Friday i'll be able to make the game on Saturday.  Definitely need to know if tickets need to be bought ahead of time or if they can be bought at the game.

each team has a limited amount of reserved tickets.

the rest will be for the general public.

if you dont get there early, you wont get a seat.

dballa

Thanks for the information on the tickets.

mcmfan

daballa mentioned earlier splitting the conference in two to get more outside games.  What about leaving the NCAA altogether?  There are still schools around here like Lubbock Christian or Wayland Baptist who play NAIA; we don't have to belong to the NCAA.  It seems to me the whole thing about saving transport costs is bogus; presumably, we member schools are paying for them with our membership fees, and one of the things our players expect -- and deserve -- is to play outside the conference when they get to the playoff level.  Why should we pay for other schools to play regional institutions while we end up playing each other at home?
Alacumba!

thejungle

Here's my perspective on that as a member of the media:

At work the other day I made the statement that no Abilene team of a MAJOR sport has EVER won a national championship...Sure McM has some track and golf championships, and ACU has some DII championships in track...But none in a major sport.  Someone piped up, "What about ACU's two Football Championships?"  Another man said, "Doesn't count, NAIA."

Ralph Turner

As I understand it, the individual instittuions must bear the expense of playoff transportation in the NAIA.

We, McMurry, have had quite a bit of national playoff expense in the last 6 years.

Baseball to Illinois in 2004
The  golfers twice.
National indoor and outdoor T&F.
Men's basketball in 2000 and 2001.
Women's basketball in 2000, but they were home games!

As for the issue of peer institutions, the Red River Athletic Conference will have these members playing basketball in 2006-07:

Texas Wesleyan, Texas College, Paul Quinn College, Jarvis Christian College, Huston-Tillotson College, Wylie College, Southwestern Assemblies of God, Houston Baptist College, and Bacone University OK.

Wayland Baptist and Lubbock Christian College are the 2 Texas members in the 10-team Sooner AC.

D3 makes sense to me.  Even Trinity complains about always having to travel.

millie

jungle you are right and if you go NAIA your recruiting just ended...D3 is a great place for your kids who are not big enough, strong enough, and may be don't have quite the talent that D1 or 2 have but still love the game with all of their heart, and the competition is still there and thats what they love.  D3 is also NCAA which is a draw...a D3 championship is still a NCAA championship...a trip to the tourney is still a trip to a NCAA tournament. does NAIA even have a national championship...i've never heard of it but i am sure it does...my daughter played D2 and then D3 and now works in D1...there is just a magic about NCAA even though they do a lot of things wrong.

Ralph Turner

ACU has won more Championships than anyone in D2.

We all know the type...if he ain't won a national championship in one of the two official sports, football or spring football, it don't count! ;D :D ;) ::)

http://www.ncaa.org/champadmin/champs_listing2.html

dballa

We were in the NAIA Div II at one time and yes there is a national tournament.  It's played all at the same spot.  The guys were in Nampa, Idaho for a while, not sure if it still is.  I don't remember where the women's tourney was.  The bad thing about that is we were all non-scholarship schools trying to play with teams that had scholarships.  I would rather stay in a Division where all schools are equal in that aspect.  

Ralph Turner

I want to someone, AmyCarlson ASC Media Relations or Kyle Robarts McM SID or someone at MissColl or whomever for the great picture of Tarra Richardson on the front page.

oldmcmalum

Yes, we do appreciate the photo of Tarra.  She is a shining star!

I have a question: Does anyone know why Tarra did not get the top honor for the ASC?  I have not found any discussion about this, and I was just wondering...

fanstand

Oldmcmalum, I wondered that also. I felt Tarra or even Symbri should have had that honor, or at least shared it together. Looking at the ASC web site maybe because both of them were "pitted" against each other in voting it took votes away from them. I'm just guessing, because I don't know how that works. I also know that the votes are cast before the conference tourney, so maybe that had an impact also. I was also a little distressed that only three of our starters were on the list for all conference and felt like Carli and Kaycee had played very solid this year.  But like I said I don't really know how the all-conference voting works. As a team, they are all MVPs to me.

moseshightower

Anyone ready to make any predictions for this weekend?  I got TU over Howard Payne and McMurry over HSU on Friday.  This will set up the first TU @ McMurry game since the Lady Indians shocked the world and knocked off #1 TU a couple of seasons ago.  I think Trinity has enough posts to at least annoy Tarra Richardson (no one can stop her) and the key will be if Trinity's guards can slow the effectiveness of Tuttle.  Can I pick TU to lose when they've never lost to the ASC in the NCAAs?  That's like picking the Colts to beat the Pats in the playoffs, Indy looks like the have the tools but somehow they can't do it.  So, I'll take the Tigers to move on.