WBB: American Southwest Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, March 17, 2005, 02:27:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

inthepaint

It's been a great evening, friends!  Heading to bed to get ready for a big day tomorrow!  It will be a llloooooonnnnnngggggg week waiting for the last tournament of the season!

Ralph Turner

Who knocked ETBU out of the Tourney?  McMurry, 75-67!

Quote from: inthepaint on March 11, 2006, 11:47:25 PM
HSU has been blessed with tremendous leadership in their head coaches.  Coach Briggs has surpassed her mentor, Coach Goodenough!  What a legacy!

And the ASC-West in 2006 is much harder than anything that Coach Goodenough had to deal with.

The only real challenge that the Goodenough teams faced was the 2000 McMurry team!

Ralph Turner

Final Four Poll on the Women's Multi-region message board!

Vote early!  Vote often!  ;)

inthepaint

Quote from: Ralph Turner on March 11, 2006, 11:54:25 PM
Who knocked ETBU out of the Tourney?  McMurry, 75-67!

The only real challenge that the Goodenough teams faced was the 2000 McMurry team!

I knew that, Ralph!  My point was that the conference is about as level this season as it ever has been and may be ever!  At least among three teams in the ASC West!

True about Coach Goodenough!  She had an amazing career at HSU and she was and is a tremendous individual as well as a terrific coach.  However, Coach Briggs has passed her by with this 100th victory in 4 seasons and the school's first ever trip to the Final Four!  

calhsu

I have gone all day doing a basketball tournament for 5th and 6th grade kids.  As soon as I cam home I checked!!!!!!!!I am complete amazement.   I have a feeling so is the rest of the country.   The other teams that came to Tacoma I think were counting chickens before they got on the court.  This reminds me so much of when  Trinity won their championship.  They came to the regional and no one was paying attention to them.   They too beat a Josten winner.  They had also lost several games but peaked at the tournament.

It is not just that they won,  but they did it so convincingly.

etbualum

congrats to hsu

Part of the reason for etbu being so up and down is youth.  Most of the players are freshman and sophs.  Look out in the coming years. 

HSU good luck...man that is hard for me to say

Ralph Turner

Quote from: etbualum on March 12, 2006, 01:07:22 AM

HSU good luck...man that is hard for me to say

and me, and probably jungle, finnman, fanstand and dballa! :-\
Maybe millie and srslobos, too.
McMfan is a gentleman and a scholar, so he can intellectualize any angst.

Hey, it's ASC, tho'!

Travel safely, Cowgirl fans!  Carry the ASC banner proudly! ;)

dsc

Yes,  it IS difficult to understand, but...

If anyone has the time, there is some interesting reading on the ODAC board...starting with the postings BEFORE the game...then during and after.  Ralph, thanks for keeping them "calm."  Appreciate that!

Love those Cowgirls.  They only lose Sonya West for next year...so we should have another exciting year in the ASC.

HARDIN-SIMMONS UNIVERSITY: AN EDUCATION ENLIGHTENED BY FAITH.

jmnaseum

Way to go Coach Briggs and HSU!!

What does that say about the ASC West!!!!!  What a conference

Take the top 4 West teams next year and put them in the National tournament, (in different areas) and let them battle it out in the final 4 ;D

GAVA

Quote from: dsc on March 11, 2006, 11:47:18 PM

The games were so different.  Not the emotion in tonight's game like last night!  The crowd (or lack thereof) really makes a difference!

Attendance was 147 ??? >:(
Guess not much draw in Washington for a Texas-Virginia game.
Couldn't sectional inclusion criteria be improved?

GAVA

Quote from: calhsu on March 12, 2006, 12:16:38 AM

It is not just that they won,  but they did it so convincingly.

I think HSU caught RMU on a very flat night where they couldn't hit the proverbial broad side of a barn. RMC shot 32% from the floor vs. their 47 % average, and only 10% on their 3s !!!
And the big girl sitting on the bench for 20 minutes was a
huge factor.
Must have cast a Hardened Sinners  prayer mist over the arena. ;D

GAVA

Quote from: GAVA on March 12, 2006, 11:36:56 AM

We draw more at our girls' middle school games.  ;D

GAVA

"Silva must have had all her points in the first half; saw her make, possibly, 3 in the second. Couldn't hit the basket with a funnel. H-S looked like Friday night's R-M and R-M looked like Friday night's Stout. Of course, that was second half. Didn't see the first.

I see the sun; it's hazy, but I'm sure that's what it is.  "

----

Above post from a Wis-Stout fan who stayed around to watch last night's game ( some of the 147 were just hanging out ). Loved the comment at the end about the Tacoma weather. ;D

Ralph Turner

Quote from: dsc on March 12, 2006, 07:45:42 AM
... Cowgirls...only lose Sonya West for next year...so we should have another exciting year in the ASC.

McMurry only loses 4-yr letter winners Carli Engelke and Jennifer Finstad.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: GAVA on March 12, 2006, 11:50:47 AM
Quote from: GAVA on March 12, 2006, 11:36:56 AM

We draw more at our girls' middle school games.  ;D

The "neutral court" aspect does give a "level playing field".  I don't mind the paltry attendance figures.  RMC would not have wanted to face Stout or HSU in their own gyms.

Women's Basketball in West Texas is serious business.  Coach Bobby Knight's Texas Tech Red Raider Basketball men average 6700 fans per game; Coach Marsha Sharp's Lady Raiders average 12,000 fans per game.

On the RMC web site, I see that the Jackets played to one crowd of 1000.

Life in the ASC-West is much different.  Hardin-Simmons, McMurry and Howard Payne play before thousands of fans several times in the season.  HSU played before thousands of fans 4 times in the regular season, and then the playoff crowds are noted.  (The HPU board sites the attendance at the HSU-HPU game in Brownwood as 1371.)

http://hsuathletics.collegesports.com/sports/w-baskbl/stats/2005-2006/teamcume.html

You can say that D3 attendance estimates are bogus.  Pat Coleman saw the January 2005 McMurry-HSU game.   Here is the photo gallery that shows 2000 screaming fans at a McMUrry-HSU game.

http://www.d3hoops.com/gallery.php?gallery=36835

West Texas is truly one of the hotbeds of Women's Basketball.

RMC is probably fortunate that they caught HSU in Tacoma!