FB: Liberty League

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGrove

Let's just say it gets a little .... risque... at the end.

ITH radio

Quote from: TheGrove on February 15, 2013, 11:36:41 PM

Was wondering what your thoughts were Grove.  On one hand could say coach over reacted, but on the other I am sure the Crusaders' program has higher expectations for their players' off field behavior than what went on there at the end of the video.
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

mattvsmith

If they claimed their video was part of a gender studies capstone project in which they explored subversion of the male gender-typing in order to show how such biology-based constructs are a form of phallo-centric oppression of women and the transgendered (a critique in one act) then they would have been declared campus heroes, given academic scholarships, and they'd be Rhodes Scholars next year.

As it is... Meh.

HSCTiger74

Quote from: Rt Rev J.H. Hobart on February 16, 2013, 07:57:49 AM
If they claimed their video was part of a gender studies capstone project in which they explored subversion of the male gender-typing in order to show how such biology-based constructs are a form of phallo-centric oppression of women and the transgendered (a critique in one act) then they would have been declared campus heroes, given academic scholarships, and they'd be Rhodes Scholars next year.

As it is... Meh.

+k for your mastery of ridiculous academic jargon.   
TANSTAAFL

TheGrove

Quote from: ITH radio on February 16, 2013, 07:33:41 AM
Quote from: TheGrove on February 15, 2013, 11:36:41 PM

Was wondering what your thoughts were Grove.  On one hand could say coach over reacted, but on the other I am sure the Crusaders' program has higher expectations for their players' off field behavior than what went on there at the end of the video.

I'm going to hazard an educated guess that this was not (wholly) Briggs' decision. The statement given by the school cites the student-athlete handbook and student-athletes being held to a higher standard of behavior.

What I heard from another coach (whose team was not involved) is that this was something of a last straw in a pattern of behavior the department has been trying to curb since the fall. Personally, I wish SU would be more proactive instead of reactive, but I could delve into a long rant that y'all probably aren't interested in.  ;D

There's also the communications geek side of me that thinks this would have gotten far less publicity without the dismissals. That's what made the stupid thing go viral.

Knightstalker

It may just be the grumpy old man in me but when you do stupid dlip and keep a record of said stupid dlip, you shouldn't be surprised when the dlip hits the fan.  These kids got kicked off a football team, if they were a little older they could get kicked out of a job.  Hopefully they learn their lesson and hopefully they take responsibility for their actions and don't blame others.

"In the end we will survive rather than perish not because we accumulate comfort and luxury but because we accumulate wisdom"  Colonel Jack Jacobs US Army (Ret).

Frank Rossi

Quote from: Knightstalker on February 16, 2013, 09:52:27 PM
It may just be the grumpy old man in me but when you do stupid dlip and keep a record of said stupid dlip, you shouldn't be surprised when the dlip hits the fan.  These kids got kicked off a football team, if they were a little older they could get kicked out of a job.  Hopefully they learn their lesson and hopefully they take responsibility for their actions and don't blame others.

I'm going to side with KS on this one -- this is probably the lawyer in me.  It never ceases to amaze me the shock and awe that develops if you copy and paste a Facebook conversation or status/comment -- which is a public or semi-public forum that does not allow for the expectation of privacy at a legal level -- because people think you're somehow going out of bounds at a legal and moral level.  The person they should be mad with if they're embarrassed at what was publicized is themselves because the "New York Times Rule" has been around for a long time -- say or write things only if you'd be okay with them appearing on the front page of the NYT.  When you go and publish on YouTube, even in an unlisted video, you've gone another step in the whole public debate world. 

My feeling is that college is as much a lesson in social life as it is in academic life -- and is the place where you learn your mistakes in a closed environment with limited penalties in learning those lessons.  As such, KS is right that the penalties in the grand scheme of life here seem to be minimal and will send the right ultimate message to those involved.  I'm guessing that by Fall, all will be forgiven as long as nothing further occurs.

Mr. Ypsi

The REAL penalty is that internet postings (youtube, facebook, twitter, whatever) are potentially eternal.  No matter what you try to erase, if anyone, anywhere already copied it, YOU can't erase it.  (And if forensics gets ahold of your computer, you can't erase it even if no one copied it.)

Potential employers DO routinely check facebook.

I always tried to instill the 'Grandma Rule' with my kids (if you wouldn't want this to be seen by your grandmother, don't post it); might have been more effective if one grandmother wasn't already in a nursing home with Alzheimers, while the other has probably never been on the internet in her life! ;)  My 24-year-old has always been very straight-laced and probably has no worries; my 21-year-old has things he now wishes he could expunge.  He can't. :(

Remembering how I was at that age, I'm sure glad there was no internet! :-[

mattvsmith

Quote from: HSCTiger74 on February 16, 2013, 02:16:21 PM

+k for your mastery of ridiculous academic jargon.

Thank you. I really got my money's worth at Hobart. My mind would probably be less damaged if I had spent four years and $100,000 sniffing glue. Seriously, that's how nearly every professor I had talked.
If it hadn't been for football and lacrosse, I would never have survived.

mattvsmith

Very good words of wisdom, Mr Ypsi.
I've deeply damaged myself by things I've written (on boards similar to this) that came back to bite me in the buttocks a year or two later. I hope I've learned my lesson.

Jonny Utah

Is this the YouTube video that appears to be in the weight room? 

lewdogg11

Quote from: Jonny "Utes" Utah on February 17, 2013, 09:29:17 AM
Is this the YouTube video that appears to be in the weight room?

Yeah that was it.  I watched it.  Gimme a friggin break.  It was no big deal and is one of thousands of the exact same thing.  You can even see the kids' faces, not to mention, no one looks at their faces in these videos.  While I don't have a problem with it at all, maybe some type of reprimanding was needed, but to be kicked off the team is flat out reeee-dickulous.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/d-iii-players-kicked-off-team-following-harlem-174844769--ncaaf.html

AUPepBand

Sometimes it takes a real friend to stand up and just say "No!" to Harlem Shake Videos!

On Saxon Warriors! On to Victory!
...Fight, fight for Alfred, A-L-F, R-E-D!

TheGrove

At least two local TV stations, the Sunbury paper and the Harrisburg paper have all reported on this, and the administration refuses to speak to the media (they just keep pointing back to the statement). It's a bit embarrassing.

mattvsmith

If I were one of those kids, I'd be searching for a school to transfer to. I'd just explain to the coach, "Look, we were just fooling around and acting stupid. It's not a crime. Will I act stupid at your school? No. So take me because I can perform on the field and won't embarrass you off field."

I'd just walk away from Susquehanna and never look back.