BB: WIAC: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by BDB, December 30, 2005, 09:19:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

badgerwarhawk

The WARHAWKS finished the weekend sweep of Stout winning 6-0 and 11-4 on Sunday.  Kaska went 8 innings allowing just 3 hits and striking out 6 to get his third win of the season in game one.  Aldridge and Szubert homered and Krause added a pair of RBI.  Heilenbach got his third win of the season in game two allowing 1 run on 6 hits with 4 Ks in 6 innings of work.  Bryden homered and tripled.  Szubert and Dodd each had a pair of RBI.

Point goes 4-0 against Platteville.  La Crosse drops one of four against Illinois Tech.  Oshkosh opens conference play Wednesday in WHITEWATER.   

"Just think twice is my only advice."

BigPoppa

Quote from: badgerwarhawk on April 09, 2018, 10:15:44 AM
The WARHAWKS finished the weekend sweep of Stout winning 6-0 and 11-4 on Sunday.  Kaska went 8 innings allowing just 3 hits and striking out 6 to get his third win of the season in game one.  Aldridge and Szubert homered and Krause added a pair of RBI.  Heilenbach got his third win of the season in game two allowing 1 run on 6 hits with 4 Ks in 6 innings of work.  Bryden homered and tripled.  Szubert and Dodd each had a pair of RBI.

Point goes 4-0 against Platteville.  La Crosse drops one of four against Illinois Tech.  Oshkosh opens conference play Wednesday in WHITEWATER.

I didn't see Illinois Tech taking a game from UWW, UWO, UWSP or LAX... That could be a costly loss for LaCrosse.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

badgerwarhawk

Out of conference:

Illinois Tech (8-7):  Beloit (W 4-3), Mass. College of Liberal Arts (L 4-5, W 7-5),  Olivet (L 1-6), Cazenovia (W 5-2). Fitchburg State (W 4-0, W 1-0), Keene State (L 6-14),  Milwaukee School of Engineering (W 7-0, L 1-5), Wisconsin Lutheran (w 11-7, W 9-3), Carthage (L 3-13, L 0-15), Chicago (L 13-18)

La Crosse: (8-5):  St Thomas (W 2-0), Southern Maine (W 12-11), Spalding (L 2-4), College of New Jersey (L 2-3), SUNY Brockport (W 9-7), RIT (W 5-0), lllinois Wesleyan (W 18-5), Benedictine (L 4-5), Webster (W 4-2), Concordia - Chicago (L 3-8, L 8-14), St Scholastica (W 6-4, W 14-11)

Oshkosh (13-2): Wabash (L 4-5), Transylvania (W 9-1, L 10-14), St Thomas (W 4-3, W 6-3), Ripon (W 7-1), St Scholastica (W 4-2), Lawrence (W 15-1), Washington & Jefferson (W 11-1), Grinnell (W 8-0,), Benedictine (W 13-3), Thomas (W 20-0), Wis Lutheran (W 11-2), Milwaukee School of Engineering (W 12-2, W 10-7)

Platteville (6-10): Aurora (L 1-3), Olivet (L 6-7), Spalding (L 1-11), Anderson (L 5-9), Spalding (L 2-12), DePauw (W 15-13), Fonbonne (L 3-13, L 3-5), Rose Hulman (L 3-20), Chicago (L 6-7), Rose Hulman (W 8-6), Belhaven (L 5-10, W 10-8, W 15-12), Millsaps (W 8-7), Edgewood (W 6-4)

Stevens Point (7-3): St Olaf (W 3-1, W 9-6), Western New England (L 1-2), Washington & Jefferson (L 4-5, W 6-0), Keuka (W 20-0), St Thomas (L 1-6, W 5-2), Colby (W 4-2), Colby (W 10-5)

Stout (3-8): Augsburg (L 0-3, L 5-8), Hamline (L 2-9, W 6-2), Edgewood (W 15-9), St Michael's (L 2-3, L 2-4), North Park (L 7-16), Lakeland (W 9-5), Augustana (L 3-5), SUNY-Plattsburg (L 7-10)

WARHAWKS (8-2): Babson (W 5-3), Hope (W 11-1), Washington & Jefferson (W 8-1), Lawrence (W 9-4), Grinnell (W 16-4), St Olaf (L 3-6), St Thomas (L 0-3), Ripon (W 15-3, W 11-5)

Through 4/11
Overall: 53-37 .590

Baseball Geek

I had to leave after game one of the UWO/UWW matchup on Wednesday. They clearly were pitching around Bryden, which isn't a big surprise. He did go 0-6 for the day with two BBs, but he's a smart and talented player and I suspect he'll adapt to hitting/fouling off bad pitches and develop a little more patience. Give UWO credit for a successful strategy.

To me, there was very little energy from the Warhawks, which was the exact opposite of the Titans. We know this is an intense rivalry, but my impression was the Warhawks appeared a little flat-footed. The combination of costly errors and absence of hitting (or timely hitting) made a big difference in game two, and game one was no walk in the park. I was surprised to see Kaska in relief in game one after throwing on Sunday and a probable for this weekend. The pitching depth seems to be a bit of a concern. I'm curious to hear BADGERWARHAWK's take.

With the wintry forecast for LAX this weekend, I'm wondering if that series will somehow be pushed.

cubs

Quote from: Baseball Geek on April 12, 2018, 08:46:14 AM
I had to leave after game one of the UWO/UWW matchup on Wednesday. They clearly were pitching around Bryden, which isn't a big surprise. He did go 0-6 for the day with two BBs, but he's a smart and talented player and I suspect he'll adapt to hitting/fouling off bad pitches and develop a little more patience. Give UWO credit for a successful strategy.

To me, there was very little energy from the Warhawks, which was the exact opposite of the Titans. We know this is an intense rivalry, but my impression was the Warhawks appeared a little flat-footed. The combination of costly errors and absence of hitting (or timely hitting) made a big difference in game two, and game one was no walk in the park. I was surprised to see Kaska in relief in game one after throwing on Sunday and a probable for this weekend. The pitching depth seems to be a bit of a concern. I'm curious to hear BADGERWARHAWK's take.

With the wintry forecast for LAX this weekend, I'm wondering if that series will somehow be pushed.
That's an understatement....  If UWO had a Gruetzmacher-type relief pitcher at their disposal, I'm not so sure Treml gets pulled earlier with UWO up 6-1 in the sixth inning. 

With that said, I thought it was just another example of an elite team like Whitewater showing that "never say die" attitude to fight back and tie in in the 6th inning and tie it again and then take the lead in the 8th inning.
2008-09 and 2012-13 WIAC Fantasy League Champion

2008-09 WIAC Pick'Em Tri-Champion

badgerwarhawk

Our defense was pretty bad in both games. 

In game one it seemed it wasn't so much that we weren't hitting the ball as much as where we were hitting it.  Every deep fly ball was run down and caught and every line drive or hot grounder was directly at someone.  The Titan defense made several really outstanding plays.  I have to give them credit for that.  It was only late in the game that some of those balls started finding holes or clearing the fence and we got a couple of breaks when the Titan defense made a couple costly mistakes. 

In the second game there was some of the same.  Hard hit balls that the Titan defense, to their credit, made plays on.  But for the most part we struggled against their pitching.  Some of our defensive mistakes were hard to take.  I had to leave after the sixth inning so I didn't see what was happening when we were finally able to get on the board. 

It would have been nice to win both but I'll take a split.   Losing both would have really hurt.  The Titans are good and they're going to be much more of a factor in the conference race than in the recent past.  We can't keep playing defense like we did yesterday and expect good things to happen.  Almost half of the Titan's runs were unearned. 

In other conference action Point took two from Stout and La Crosse swept Platteville.

cubs

UWSP stays perfect in WIAC play today with a 5-3 victory over UWO in Oshkosh. Erickson with the victory over Sustachek.

cubs

All games scheduled for this weekend have been postponed and rescheduled for the weekend of May 11th and 12th, which was when the WIAC Tournament was scheduled to be played.

Thanks to the wonderful weather this year AND since there isn't a Pool A bid attached to the WIAC Tournament this year, the WIAC has decided to cancel the tournament for this year.

http://www.wiacsports.com/news/2018/4/13/wiac-announces-cancellation-of-baseball-postseason-tournament.aspx

Baseball Geek

Quote from: cubs on April 13, 2018, 01:41:08 PM
All games scheduled for this weekend have been postponed and rescheduled for the weekend of May 11th and 12th, which was when the WIAC Tournament was scheduled to be played.

Thanks to the wonderful weather this year AND since there isn't a Pool A bid attached to the WIAC Tournament this year, the WIAC has decided to cancel the tournament for this year.

http://www.wiacsports.com/news/2018/4/13/wiac-announces-cancellation-of-baseball-postseason-tournament.aspx

WOW. The last two weekend series will be UWO at UWLC, UWSP at UWW and UWW at UWLC (assuming winter weather ever ends). We all knew losing the AQ this year was going to have an impact...we just didn't realize to what degree.

cubs

Quote from: Baseball Geek on April 13, 2018, 02:50:29 PM

WOW. The last two weekend series will be UWO at UWLC, UWSP at UWW and UWW at UWLC (assuming winter weather ever ends). We all knew losing the AQ this year was going to have an impact...we just didn't realize to what degree.
I have been of the opinion that the losing the AQ would have little to no impact in most seasons... 

Why?  I figured that in most years where the WIAC champion goes 17-3/18-2/18-6/19-4/21-2 like the past five regular season champions have gone, the Pool A bid would just be replaced by the Pool B spot. 

With no WIAC Tournament now this year, that is two less losses three of the four tournament qualifiers will finish with which should also help in terms of their Pool C resume, although they may lose the chance to improve their SOS.

Baseball Geek

Quote from: cubs on April 13, 2018, 03:05:35 PM

I have been of the opinion that the losing the AQ would have little to no impact in most seasons... 

Why?  I figured that in most years where the WIAC champion goes 17-3/18-2/18-6/19-4/21-2 like the past five regular season champions have gone, the Pool A bid would just be replaced by the Pool B spot. 

With no WIAC Tournament now this year, that is two less losses three of the four tournament qualifiers will finish with which should also help in terms of their Pool C resume, although they may lose the chance to improve their SOS.

I do think losing the chance to improve SOS may be a problem, and a smaller body of work overall. If the conference standings remain the same, the top four teams' current records are 15-4, 15-3, 13-6, 14-4. There will be additional losses for some, of not all.

cubs

Quote from: Baseball Geek on April 13, 2018, 03:27:59 PM

I do think losing the chance to improve SOS may be a problem, and a smaller body of work overall. If the conference standings remain the same, the top four teams' current records are 15-4, 15-3, 13-6, 14-4. There will be additional losses for some, of not all.
I used the WIAC record above, not overall....

Anyway, I still don't think the loss of a Pool A  will have a huge impact except possibly when it comes to earning multiple bids.  I think the WIAC Champion is going to get in the majority of the time regardless of not having a Pool A bid attached to the Conference Tournament champion.

Could I be wrong?  Sure, so it will be interesting to follow as the season goes on.

Baseball Geek

Quote from: cubs on April 13, 2018, 03:40:05 PM
Quote from: Baseball Geek on April 13, 2018, 03:27:59 PM

I used the WIAC record above, not overall....

Anyway, I still don't think the loss of a Pool A  will have a huge impact except possibly when it comes to earning multiple bids.  I think the WIAC Champion is going to get in the majority of the time regardless of not having a Pool A bid attached to the Conference Tournament champion.

Could I be wrong?  Sure, so it will be interesting to follow as the season goes on.

It sure will be interesting to follow. Once again it appears so much will be decided at the end of the season.

BigPoppa

The WIAC having no AQ will not affect the WIAC in any way, but it will have long reaching results across the nation as those team that traditional are in the running for a Pool B spot are no facing a top-heavy Pool B with the WIAC schools in there... could the WIAC take multiple Pool B bids? Not out of the question at all.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Jim Dixon

Quote from: BigPoppa on April 14, 2018, 10:56:47 AM

The WIAC having no AQ will not affect the WIAC in any way, but it will have long reaching results across the nation as those team that traditional are in the running for a Pool B spot are no facing a top-heavy Pool B with the WIAC schools in there... could the WIAC take multiple Pool B bids? Not out of the question at all.

No tournament helps.  the teams that go and do not win are now no longer guaranteed to get two in region losses.  I see two WIAC teams getting in with the third WIAC team getting a pretty good boost in their chance for a pool c bid.