Future of Division III

Started by Ralph Turner, October 10, 2005, 07:27:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gray Fox

Quote from: Ralph Turner on March 20, 2013, 09:08:56 AM
Quote from: Captain_Joe08 on March 20, 2013, 12:11:41 AM
Quote from: FCGrizzliesGrad on March 20, 2013, 12:02:40 AM
Maybe Chicago could rejoin it's former conference-mates... and we'd have someone who might be able to beat Mount Union at football ;D

The bigger question is will Wisconsin bolt the B1G and join the WIAC with their fellow UW schools? ;D
+1 to both! :)
Ditto
Fierce When Roused

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I tried to come up with some sort of rationale to justify the statement, but I couldn't do it.

Even if they went to a non-scholarship model, a lot of these schools would still be making money on the likenesses of players and be subject to the ruling.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Gregory Sager

Alfred State is now in the provisional pipeline. Pretty soon,  Albany, Binghamton, and Stony Brook will be the only three campuses out of all 72,258 branches of the State University of New York that aren't in D3. ;)

Meanwhile, Presentation has moved on from D3 to the NAIA. It was a move that made sense for the Saints, particularly from a geographic standpoint. They've even found a new Dakotas-based league to join, right off the bat.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Gregory Sager on April 25, 2013, 04:08:20 PM
Alfred State is now in the provisional pipeline.

QuoteAlfred State is also in the process of joining several other athletic associations including the Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference and the United States Collegiate Athletic Association which will provide postseason and national accolades immediately for Pioneer athletes. 

Schedules for the 2013-14 school year are being made now with a majority of the contests versus four year competition.  The college is in the process of exploring conference membership options with hopes to joining a conference in the near future.

Alfred State currently offers 18 intercollegiate athletic teams (baseball, men's and women's basketball, men's and women's cross country, football, men's lacrosse, men's and women's soccer, softball, men's and women's swimming, men's and women's indoor and outdoor track & field, volleyball, and wrestling).

Who wants Alfred State?  SUNYAC?  NEAC?  Is there enough interest to adding Alfred State to set up a "bidding war" between those two conferences to give Alfred State a favorable welcoming where they land?

Football?  SUNYAC...
No ice hockey, tho'...

Warren Thompson

Alfred State is now in the provisional pipeline. Pretty soon,  Albany, Binghamton, and Stony Brook will be the only three campuses out of all 72,258 branches of the State University of New York that aren't in D3. ;)

And that's just slightly more than the number of Concordias in the free world. :)

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Meanwhile, Presentation has moved on from D3 to the NAIA. It was a move that made sense for the Saints, particularly from a geographic standpoint. They've even found a new Dakotas-based league to join, right off the bat.

That number might be low.  They had a SUNY display at the rest stops on the NY State Thruway and it was like 20 feet tall with very tiny print.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Just Bill

That was one of the branches. You didn't realize it, but you were visiting SUNY-Rest Stop Exit 186. They're the Fightin' Map Readers!
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

mattvsmith

+K to you, JustBill. SUNY-Rest Stop Exit 186. Truly classic.

Ralph Turner

The Education Bubble Has Burst

Quote"...college enrollment rates for students have declined 2.3% in 2013 compared to 2012."

Most of the very well endowed "D-IV's" will survive; my guess is that includes the NESCAC, the UAA, most of the NCAC's, MIAC's, Landmarks, Centennials, NEWMAC's, CCIW's, WIAC's and Liberty League.

Some of the OAC, MAC, SUNYAC, MASCAC, LEC, NJAC, SAA, MIAA, SCAC and NWC will survive.

From there, I think that you have to make a case-by-case determination of the prospects for survival.

One of the links provides this news.

http://theweek.com/article/index/240205/why-your-college-could-go-bankrupt

QuoteMinnesota's St. Olaf College and Carleton College, for example, have begun discussing combining libraries, technology infrastructure, human resources and payroll — and possibly even their academic programs.

ADL70

SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

mattvsmith

The state of higher education is so poor that one has put effort into not graduating. A pulse and a tuition payment usually do it.

WLCALUM83

Quote from: Hoops Fan on April 27, 2013, 08:18:22 PM

That number might be low.  They had a SUNY display at the rest stops on the NY State Thruway and it was like 20 feet tall with very tiny print.
Quote from: Just Bill on May 31, 2013, 01:15:01 AM
That was one of the branches. You didn't realize it, but you were visiting SUNY-Rest Stop Exit 186. They're the Fightin' Map Readers!
Quote from: Rt Rev J.H. Hobart on May 31, 2013, 11:15:56 AM
+K to you, JustBill. SUNY-Rest Stop Exit 186. Truly classic.

(Willie Nelson's "On the Road Again" and Johnny Cash's "I've Been Everywhere" playing back to back. . . )

The Fightin' Map Readers!  Wonder what they'd do whenever they came to a fork in the road. . . )

smedindy

sbparent

February 26, 2013

By Dave McHugh
D3sports.com

It looks like the much-talked about regional realignment is nearly here. For two years, there has been serious conversations and the exercise of realigning the regions in Division III

Full article at:

http://www.d3sports.com/notables/2013/02/regional-realignment-coming

Anyone heard the final outcome of this.  Article says that the NCAA management council would meet in April to finalize?  I cannot find any further updates on their meeting and the results.

pumkinattack

Ralph, I read that story about the college bubble bursting and had a suspicion by the way it was written that it was a biased approach.  When I read the language in the sentence of "a major bankruptcy at a college in Georgia" I have I question the value of the article.  Georgia Perimeter College is a two year school with an endowment that peaked at a level only about 15% higher than a house in Atlanta that I just went under contract on and my name ain't Goizeta, Candler or Cox. 

I have problems with the higher education system, think the language used by politicians is eerily similar to the "American dream" talk about home ownership that is the smoke and mirrors fraud that politicians have been playing with the public since the development of Levittown and think ultimately judge Smails advice to Danny Noonan will seem sage rather than a joke.  That being said, there's got to be a better piece supporting your thesis than the one posted above.