MBB: NESCAC

Started by cameltime, April 27, 2005, 02:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

P'bearfan

Very happy for DR.  It's just terrific to see him making the most of this opportunity.  Also part of me feels just a little bit better about the fact that he killed Bowdoin back in 2014.

toad22

Quote from: P'bearfan on July 06, 2018, 06:25:44 AM
Very happy for DR.  It's just terrific to see him making the most of this opportunity.  Also part of me feels just a little bit better about the fact that he killed Bowdoin back in 2014.

Williams coach Mike Maker, in the Summer before Duncan did his pg year at Exeter, told me that he thought Duncan had a chance to play in the NBA. Duncan was only about 6'6', and skinny as a rail. That analysis has proved quite prescient.

nescac1

Welcome to the league, Duncan Robinson!!! 

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article214627265.html

Wow, unbelievable.  I gotta admit I didn't think this would happen anytime soon, certainly not right out of college, for Duncan.  I was dead wrong.  Now every member of the 2014 Williams squad can say they were teammates with an NBA player, and every opposing player who tried to check him can say they matched up with the best. 

(To be clear, this doesn't guarantee that he will appear on the Heat roster this year.  But it's a legit NBA contract, and teams are limited to two of these two-way deals per season). 

D3HforLyfe

An awesome day for the NESCAC! And just the beginning for Duncan

toad22

Quote from: Smitty Oom on July 11, 2018, 07:44:51 PM
https://deadspin.com/summer-league-is-only-good-for-getting-unreasonably-exc-1827516001?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow&__twitter_impression=true&__twitter_impression=true&__twitter_impression=true&__twitter_impression=true
The clown writing that article is way too cynical. I know of nobody here in Williamstown who is too excited about Duncan. Everybody who has watched his story unfold has a right to be pleased and excited for him. I just hope he can make it into an NBA game this year, and play well. That would be the first Williams player ever to do so. At this point, any hopes beyond a smallish role for Duncan in the NBA are clearly very speculative. Most everybody roots for the underdog. Duncan has been an underdog since taking a big chance and transferring from Williams to Michigan. Good for him. I'm excited, but not overly so. Gosh, you wouldn't want to get overly excited about a great guy who chased his dream, worked his tail off, did everything the right way, and is achieving a bit of success.

Smitty Oom

https://twitter.com/clubtrillion/status/1016904202365255680

I love this podcast put on by the ringer on D1 college hoops. the hosts loved Duncan Robinson all year and he makes a guest host appearance! Its in my queue and haven't listened yet but I have a nice drive tomorrow :)

BTW toad, its deadspin. They have that kind of tone in all of their articles. It probably isn't for you, but they are noting his good summer league appearances. They made fun of Keita Bates-Diop, Ukraine Sensation Svi and others.

nyhoopstalk

Quote from: nescac1 on May 21, 2018, 11:32:38 AM
With a bunch more recruits added in recent weeks, I thought I'd finalize the list of known NESCAC recruits coming in next year (with the caveat that there are surely plenty more):

2018 NESCAC Recruits

Amherst: Devonn Allen, PG, Wilbraham & Monson; Will Phelan, Wing, St. Sebastians; Michael Schretter, C, Ridgewood (NJ)

Bates: Cole Phaire, SG, Dunbar H.S. (D.C.); Kehine Aruwajoye, C, Avon Old Farms; Andrew Snoddy, F, Rivers School; Joe Collins, W, Groton School

Bowdoin: Caleb Cost, SG, Willison Northampton; Morgan Edwards, G, Mountain Ridge (MD)

Colby: Noah Tyson, Wing, Rutland (VT); Walter Lum, PG, Lick-Wilmerding (CA); Sam Onche, F, Contra Costa Christian (CA)

Conn: Ryan Omslaer, C, Woodstock Academy (CT); Matt Carlin, F, Worcester Academy

Hamilton: Nick Osarenren, Wing, Deerfield Academy

Middlebury: Alex Sobel, C, Melville (NY); Nash Goldman, G, Scarsdale (NY)

Trinity: Max Brigham, F, Westminster; Jared Whitt, C, South Kent School; Mason Roberts, C, Tivy (TX)

Tufts: Tyler Aronson, G, Rivers School; Carson Cohen, PG, Fox Chappell (PA)

Wesleyan: Shackylle Dezonie, Wing, Hudson Catholic (NJ); Sam Peek, Wing, Trinity Pauling (NY); Jens Ulrich-Verderber, F, BFA St. Albans (VT)

Williams: Jovan Jones, Wing, Belmont Hill; Ryan Moon, PG, Bishop McGuiness (NC); Spencer Spivy, SG, University (CA); Tyler Spiezio, F, Morris (IL) (football recruit / possible walk-on)

Is it safe to say Williams and Hamilton will be the class of the NESCAC this winter? I will be following the NESCAC pretty intently this year with a couple former players sprinkled amongst a few of the teams in the conference.

amh63

nyhoopstalk.....hard to say wrt the upcoming season.  Each season brings some surprises. It is often after the early season games prior to the start of the conference battles that a clearer picture of the conference starts to develop.  Much too early to say based on my recollection of past seasons.

nescac1

nyhoopstalk, here is my educated guess for where NESCAC and other New England teams will rank in the pre-season top 25 next year.  I think next year is going to be absolutely LOADED in Division 3.  The likely top ten is beyond stacked with very experienced, very talented teams. 

Williams: 4-10
Hamilton: 8-15
Middlebury and Wesleyan: 20-30
Amherst: also receiving votes

MIT, like Williams, will likely be in the 4-10 range to start the year.  Springfield will be somewhere in the top 25.  That's likely it for New England, although Nichols, Keene, Eastern Conn, and Endicott may also get a little bit of consideration.  Hamilton, MIT and Williams all look absolutely loaded with proven upperclass talent next year, but so do many other teams across the country -- Whitman, Whitworth, Nebraska Wesleyan, Augustana, Illinois Wesleyan, seemingly half of the WIAC teams, just off the top of my head ...

D3HforLyfe

Hope everyone is well and enjoying summer!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlWqXRMgyaV/?hl=en&taken-by=djsackmann

Thought you guys would like this clip! Unfortunately not a NESCAC guy, but regardless one of my favorite D3 players of all time, John Dibartolomeo, working out with prominent NBA trainer DJ Sackmann. JD still crushing it (and making more overseas than any other d3 player I am aware of).

Cheers!

grabtherim

Couldn't happen to a nicer kid.  John has had a heck of a run playing ball overseas,  first in Spain and now in Israel. In what I think was his only game versus a NESCAC school, Midd used a swarming team D to hold him down from his normal numbers, which led to a victory over Rochester in a 2011 NCAA Sweet 16 game.

Mr. Ypsi