FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wildcat11

sfury

On the field (during the 60-minute game), Tommies deserve kudos for this: Just taking quick look at SJU records vs. all opponents, and looks like they're first MIAC team since Concordia in 1959 to win 3 in a row at St. John's. Someone might correct that; but great accomplishment. And probably first team since St. Paul Phalen Luther College beat Johnnies 7-6 in 1929 to take pic on field.

OzJohnnie

Quote from: sfury on September 26, 2015, 09:49:42 PM
And the family portrait. Say Cheeeeeeeeeeese(y)

https://twitter.com/1500ESPNJudd/status/647894159827714048

If I hadn't typed it at the time (the pause with 3 seconds to go) you wouldn't believe it.  VOJ is psychic.

Quote from: OzJohnnie on September 26, 2015, 04:49:37 PM
VOJ called me back:

"Caruso is calling all his players over to discuss the formation for the picture after the game or something like that."

"I know he doesn't care but there isn't a team that doesn't celebrate after they beat them.  They are the evil empire."

Gotta love VOJ.
[  

hazzben

^^ Seriously...I jumped over to the Tommie/Johnnie for the final 7 minutes or so. When I heard VOJ say that, in the context of some other typical debbie downer comments at the end of a tough loss, I thought, "that might be a little overly critical, even for VOJ."

And then it ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! Holy prophetic VOJ...should have asked him what the winning Powerball Numbers were gonna be  :o

hazzben

BU looked good today, about what you'd expect against Carleton right now. So you can't get overly excited.

Having said that, they are gelling and improving. Most importantly, Trey Anderson and the offense seem to be finding their groove. He was throwing some dimes today. The more comfortable he gets, the more dangerous this offense is gonna be. They've got tons of weapons at the skill positions, just need to be able to get them the ball in space.

Having said that, games against SJU, UST and Cobbers will be won in the trenches. As we saw today in Caruso-ville  ;) :-X (just couldn't resist)

RoyalsFan

I was at the Bethel/Carlton game today and saw something that I've never seen before. It was right at the end of the first half, Bethel had the ball about mid field with about 20 seconds left. They ran a draw play to Tusler who reversed field a couple of times and got down inside the 30 when a Carlton player grabbed his face mask and pulled him down (quite violently I might add). Flags were thrown for the face mask and Tusler was obviously upset and retaliated, so he also received an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.

Now for the strange part. Both penalties are 15 yard penalties, so I just figured they would offset. Then I see the ref walk off the Carlton penalty and then turn around and walk off the Bethel penalty and I'm thinking - what is he doing, getting some extra exercise in? But then I see he marks the ball at the 29, but the play was down around the 27. Then it dawned on me - since it was inside the 30 the penalty against Carlton was only half the distance to the goal while the penalty against Bethel was the full 15 yards. Like I said, I've never seen that happen before, I just thought the penalties would offset but evidently not in this case so Bethel lost some yards because of it. I guess I learned something new today (if the refs applied the rule correctly). 

Not that it made a difference in the game at all, but just thought it was strange. Let's say a team is behind by a td with only a few seconds left and they get the ball to the 1 yard line. After the play a defender takes a swing at one of the other team's players and the other guy retaliates so they both are called for unsportsmanlike penalties. So would they mark off the half yard against the defense and then mark off 15 yards against the offense (which is basically happened today)? Doesn't seem right/fair to me. Are there any former refs who know what the correct rule is in this situation?

RoyalsFan

Quote from: hazzben on September 26, 2015, 10:21:18 PM
BU looked good today, about what you'd expect against Carleton right now. So you can't get overly excited.

Having said that, they are gelling and improving. Most importantly, Trey Anderson and the offense seem to be finding their groove. He was throwing some dimes today. The more comfortable he gets, the more dangerous this offense is gonna be. They've got tons of weapons at the skill positions, just need to be able to get them the ball in space.

Having said that, games against SJU, UST and Cobbers will be won in the trenches. As we saw today in Caruso-ville  ;) :-X (just couldn't resist)

It was also good to see Landin Mathis play today. I was surprised to see him suit up as I heard he was done for the year and then in the second quarter he got in the game for a few series. It's huge for the defense if he can play at his pre-injury level and also for the team in general as he is one of their leaders.

OzJohnnie

[  

MadRedFan

Quote from: sjusection105 on September 26, 2015, 07:44:30 PM
We have a BINGO Oz. UST clearly controlled both sides of the ball.

Also, someone mentioned after the first game vs. Dubuque that SJU has a "work in progress" at QB in a 4 yr. starter. Alex Kofed was the last "play maker" QB at SJU. SJU needs to recruit and develop QBs that are bigger than life and can back it up on the field like Ramler and Linneman of years gone by.

Well, now the Johnnies need to win out and hope they can sneak into the playoffs through the back door.

I'm pretty sure that was my comment, 105, on the "work in progress" at QB you're talking about.   Hard to "blame" Martin for the loss when he passed for 252 yards, yet I left with the feeling that there needs to be more there.  It's pretty clear nothing much is gonna change this year.  He's our guy, for better or worse.  If he comes out for one reason or the other, it's Johnny Benson going in, and I don't see all that much difference in result there.

But you know, Sura is held to 74 net yards on 25 carries.  And the Tommies rush for 338 yards.  So, that's probably the place to look for the result.

I'm beating my dead horse here, but our 230-240 lb D line, and 190-200 lb. LB's  aren't going to be too successful squaring off against the beef UST was bringing on the O line, and our hardest hitter, Carter Hansen, isn't going to win too many battles with DI transfer Jordan Roberts, at 222 lbs.  I understand the philosophy of Gagliardi and Fasching with the quickness and so forth, but in most of these games the big boys can move you out and/or knock you down.

SJU had no answer - they don't have anyone on the D line, starters or reserves, with any bulk, well, not the bulk required today.  Our boys just got beat up and worn down today.  By the middle of the 3rd quarter, we were spent.

I also kept thinking we somehow needed to get Sura outside, and get the ball in Bungum's hands more.  Bungum had 9 receptions, maybe he got it enough, just couldn't make anything happen.  Sura got hosed between the tackles, and there just weren't any holes to be found.  See above comment.  Gotta find a way to spread it out some and get him some running room.

But you know, I do believe they can win out, or even suffer a loss to Bethel and win the rest, and while that might kill the play-off chances an 8-2 finish is nothing to be ashamed about.  There are some really great players on this team, but they need to regroup at this point and pull together.

DoubleO

Quote from: sfury on September 26, 2015, 09:49:42 PM
And the family portrait. Say Cheeeeeeeeeeese(y)

https://twitter.com/1500ESPNJudd/status/647894159827714048

It's SO easy...you guys are unreal. You take exception to a post game team photo being taken on your field, really?! Unbelievable-get over yourselves. Wildcat 11, thanks for stirring the rats nest! They're an arrogant bunch-just makes beating them all the more sweet. Roll Toms!

Unfortunately, missed the entire webcast due to coaching grade school game at the same time, but I did sport a UST football shirt to show some support and you would not believe how many comments I fielded from fellow Chicagoans with no association to either UST or SJboo who saw the Sportscenter broadcast this am. Regardless of your feelings on the game outcome, it is outstanding exposure for both institutions, all involved and the entire, extended D3 F.A.M.I.L.Y!

sfury

I don't take exception to it. I think it's dumb but I'm hardly offended by it. It's like complaints about running up the score, whether SJU vs Bethel in 1993 or St. Thomas and SJU in 2011. Don't like it, stop them. Same thing here. Don't like it, don't let them beat you. But that doesn't mean it doesn't look ridiculous and/or just weird.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: MadRedFan on September 26, 2015, 10:40:12 PM
Quote from: sjusection105 on September 26, 2015, 07:44:30 PM
We have a BINGO Oz. UST clearly controlled both sides of the ball.

Also, someone mentioned after the first game vs. Dubuque that SJU has a "work in progress" at QB in a 4 yr. starter. Alex Kofed was the last "play maker" QB at SJU. SJU needs to recruit and develop QBs that are bigger than life and can back it up on the field like Ramler and Linneman of years gone by.

Well, now the Johnnies need to win out and hope they can sneak into the playoffs through the back door.

I'm pretty sure that was my comment, 105, on the "work in progress" at QB you're talking about.   Hard to "blame" Martin for the loss when he passed for 252 yards, yet I left with the feeling that there needs to be more there. 

This might be because 66 of those yards were on the final drive, when the game was already over. Would you feel differently if the total were 186 yards?
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

SUMMIT!!!!!

After the game, the king and pawn go into the same box.

Italian proverb

Pat Coleman

Quote from: miacmaniac on September 27, 2015, 01:22:39 AM
Reusse weighs in (no pun intended) ...

Of the three of us -- you, me, Reusse -- I'd say Reusse is in the best shape. He looks good, especially for a guy about to turn 70.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.