MBB: State University of New York Athletic Conference

Started by bamm, March 12, 2005, 09:24:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magicman

New Paltz State 79  Fredonia 59

The Blue Devils got on the board first and led 6-2 when the Hawks went on a 15-0 run and never trailed. Fredonia cut the lead to single digits and got as close as 5 points at 27-22 with 6:39 left in the half but New Paltz went on another run near the end of the period and went into the break up by a dozen at 43-31.

The Hawks never let the Blue Devils back in the game as the lead continued to grow. The closest the Blue Devils got was 11 points, and the lead was as much as 21 points.

Scott Reisert captured scoring honors as he led New Paltz with 19 points and 7 rebounds.
Tristan Wisseman had 17 points and 6 assists.
Jake Passaretti also had 17 points with 3 assists.
Paddy Parr captured rebounding honors with 10 boards, 4 points, 4 assists and 2 steals.

Tyler Roberts was the high man for the Blue Devils with 12 points 2 rebounds and 2 steals.
Kadeem Riddick had 11 points and a team high 5 rebounds.
Isaiah Ice had 10 points, 3 steals and 2 assists.

New Paltz improves to 8-7 overall and 3-5 in the YAC. They will travel up tp Buffalo State today for a 2:00 PM start that was moved up because of the snow storm.

Fredonia drops to 2-12 and 1-6 in the conference. They will host Oneonta later today also at 2:00 PM instead of 4:00 PM. 

magicman

The Oswego State-Potsdam State game scheduled for 4:00 PM today has been postponed and rescheduled for Tuesday January 22nd at 7:30 PM. The women's game will precede the men's game at the usual 5:30 starting time.

It looks like the Brockport-Geneseo game has been rescheduled as well and is now on February 12th but the websites for both schools are not yet posting that fact.

Other Saturday games with the usual 2:00 PM women's game followed by the 4:00 PM men's game may have a different start time because of the approaching snow storm. Some now have the women's game at 12 noon and the men at 2:00 PM They are Fredonia-Oneonta game and the Buffalo State-New Paltz game.

Plattsburgh State at Cortland State is listed at 1:00 PM for the women's game and 3:00 PM for the men.

magicman

Jan. 19    The snowstorm has reduced play today to just 3 games. Also limited my time here so just some quick picks

Oneonta State  @  Fredonia State        2:00 PM

The Red Dragons are looking to get back into the conference race and a win today coupled with a loss by New Paltz could give them identical YAC records. Fredonia is looking to escape the basement and build on their recent wins. Oneonta is listed as a 13 point road favorite but the Blue Devils have not lost many by that margin at home. Oneonta wins, Fredonia covers. Red Dragons 81 Blue Devils 69.

New Paltz State  @  Buffalo State        2:00 PM

The Bengals need to catch a break. A loss here could leave them all alone in last place. The Hawks could open a little daylight between them and the rest of the contenders for that final playoff spot. The oddsmakers have Buffalo favored by 5 points. I think they finally do catch a break. Buffalo State 87 New Paltz 83.

Plattsburgh State  @  Cortland State        3:00 PM      Featured Game of the Day

Plattsburgh needs a win here to stay with the leaders. Cortland needs a win to stay with the leaders. PLattsburgh doesn't want a long bus ride home with an 0-2 weekend to mull over. These Red Dragons don't want to lose their 3rd game in a row at home. Bound to be another barnburner and the oddsmakers have made the Cardinals a 4 point road favorite. I'm sticking with my Cardinals (did you expect anything different?) and see them winning by an 87-84 final score. 

magicman

New Paltz defeats Buffalo State 66-64

Oneonta defeats Fredonia 106-63

magicman

Plattsburgh leads Cortland 42-2 at the half.

Jon Patron with 17 points and Brandon Johnson with 12 for the Cardinals.

Ryan Schmadel with 8 for the Red Dragons.

magicman

Cortland State 65  Plattsburgh State 63

Another barnburner in Cortland as the Red Dragons come from 14 points down and get a 3 pointer by Zach Lydon with 20 seconds left in the game to go up 65-63. Plattsburgh with a chance to win it or send it to overtime elects to go for the tie but the shot hits the rim and goes out of bounds as the horn sounds to end the game.

Two tough losses in two days for the Cardinals and shuffles them back in the pack. Two games they should have won. The season is only half over yet so their is still a race that can be won. Kudos to Cortland for the comeback.

Brendan Fitzpatrick led a balance Cortland effort with 16 points, 3 rebounds, 3 assists and 3 steals.
Nicky Bonura had 12 points. 6 rebounds and 5 assists.
Ryan Schmadel had 11 points and 3 rebounds.
Kenny Charles had 10 points, 4 rebounds, 2 steals, 2 blocks and 1 helper.
Zach Lydon had 9 points, 5 rebounds, and 4 blocks., along with that big game winning 3 pointer.
Justin Cooper had a team high 7 rebounds, 6 points, 1 assist and a steal.

Jon Patron captured scoring honors as he tossed in 29 points and completed another double-double with 14 rebounds. He added 4 assists a block and a steal.
Brandon Johnson had 16 points, 4 rebounds, 4 steals and 1 assist.
Chris Middleton had 11 points, 6 rebounds and a block.
Travis Cox had 7 rebounds and 4 points in 19 minutes off the bench.

Cortland outshot the Cardinals in all 3 categories and while neither team lit it up from long range Cortland did make 8x32 from downtown while Plattsburgh only went 3x17. It's a familiar story in the Cardinals' losses.

Plattsburgh did outrebound Cortland by a 44-34 margin, but the Red Dragons won the turnover battle with only 11 giveaways to 15 for the Cardinals.

Cortland improves to 12-4 overall and 6-3 in the YAc. They will host Buffalo State next Friday at 7:30 PM.

Plattsburgh drops to 12-4 overall and is tied with Cortland at 6-3 in the league. They will host Brockport next Friday at 7:30.

Bengalsrule

3.28 pts. That's the average margin of defeat for my BENGALS in 7 SUNYAC loses.  The worse of which was vs New Paltz Saturday. Can't remember the last time I saw a teAm, any team, with the ball, in a tie game with 1.3 seconds left in the game.....and lose.  Until today's game!

Give New Paltz credit.  They came up with an inbounds play, after my guys turned the ball over without it being touched in bounds, and the Hawks cashed it in.  This one hurts..really hurts. No time to feel sorry or lick wounds with a trip to Brockport Tuesday.

No magic wand is needed.  No amount of crying helps. Time for my boys to man the f- - k and play like I know that they can play. Fought back from 65-48 deficit Friday night vs Oneonta to get within 2 (72-70) and couldn't close the deal   Down 64-57 vs New Paltz with under 3:30 and tied the game up but couldn't close the deal   Every loss, except Oswego , we've been a basket away from winning or tie game!

Grand mama used to say " if it don't kill ya, it's gonna make you stronger". Well my BENGALS ain't dead so hopefully they will be mentally stronger than they've been all year long.  Love these guys. They deserve better but last I checked ain't no body giving a rats a-s about Buff State but Buff State. It's on us to get us better.  To finish what we start.  Hopefully my guys will realize that Tuesday.  If they do...then watch out.

Go BENGALS!

thebear

Hopefully Magic will post his spreads but 4 meaningful games on tap for tonight.

Bears and Oswego match up in the polar vortex at Laker Hall [ppd from Saturday].  Lakers are undefeated and tough at Laker Hall.

Oneonta Red Dragons move up in class to take on a 15-2 Williams team on a two game skid after winning 15 to start the season.

Freddy at Genny in the MacVittie cup [President at both schools], winner has a shot at the top 6, loser probably done.

Buff State and Brockport will tangle, and Bengals Rule
is hoping the Bengals can prevail in a physical and probably very athletic game.

"Just the Facts, Ma'am, Just the Facts"
- Sgt. Joe Friday

magicman

Jan. 22     7 teams back in action after  the big storm knocked out some games over the weekend.   

Oneonta State  @ #8 Williams        7:00 PM

The Red Dragons will have their work cut out for them as they take on the top ranked team in the NESCAC conference. Williams has been ranked #2 or #3 for the first 6 weeks of the poll but dropped to #8 yesterday after two losses last week. It doesn't make a difference where they are ranked they are one of the best teams in Division III. It could be a long night for Oneonta. The oddsmakers don 't give the Red Dragons much hope either as they list them as a 16 point dog. Williams beat Oneonta last year as a visitor by a 75-56 final score. Williams is a stronger team this year.  I'm hoping that Oneonta can keep it closer than the spread but see the Ephs winning this game 82- 65. Hope I'm wrong, though.     

Potsdam State  @  Oswego State        7:30 PM

The game that was supposed to be on Saturday was moved to this Tuesday date. The Bears are fresh off an upset of Cortland and would like to add another upset here. They beat Oswego last year when they invaded Laker Hall so they have that going for them. Oswego is coming off an emotional win against the reigning champs with that last second victory over Plattsburgh on Friday night.

The oddsmakers have made the Lakers a 12 point home favorite in this one. I think they win by a final score of 80-71.

Fredonia State  @  Geneseo State        7:30 PM

The Knights have revenge on their minds as they host the Blue Devils in a rematch of the double overtime loss that Fredonia laid on them 2 weeks ago. Both teams looking for a 2nd conference win and want to avoid the basement of the SUNYAC. The point spread favors the home team Knights by a dozen points. I think they get their revenge by a final score of 74-65. 

Buffalo State  @  Brockport State        7:30 PM

I'm not sure why the basketball gods have treated Buffalo State with such disdain. The Bengals can't catch a break no matter how hard they try. Watching them lose the New Paltz game on Saturday was a headshaker to say the least. Now they travel to Brockport and face a team that has dealt them so many disappointing losses recently that you have to feel for the Orange and Black. THe oddsmakers have made the Golden Eagles a 10 point home favorite and it's hard to argue with them. I have to think the Bengals will cover the spread since they have lost  2 conference games by 2 points, 3 conference games by 3 points, 1 conference game by 4 points and 1 conference  game by 6 points. In fact no one has beaten this team by 10 points all year long. Final score Brockport 90 Buffalo State 83.      

magicman

A new D3hoops Top 25 poll was released and Plattsburgh State has dropped out of the Top 25 and into the Others Receiving Votes category.  The Cardinals (12-4), were ranked #15 last week with 254 points, but after a pair of close last second losses over the weekend they are now #27 with only 42 points.

Oswego State (13-2), who defeated Plattsburgh in one of those close losses, has returned to the poll in the Others Receiving Votes category. The Lakers dropped out of the poll completely for several weeks but are back at #32 with 18 points.

Rochester is the only team in the East Region that remains in the Top 25, as the Yellowjackets (13-3), are #21 with 117 points. Last week they were #22 with 111 points.   

magicman

The SUNYAC Player of the Week for the week ending January 20th was Oswego State's Liam Sanborn. He had 19 points, 6 rebounds and 4 assists against Oneonta on Tuesday and then had 11 points, 9 assists , 2 rebounds and 2 steals against Plattsburgh on Friday night, including the game winner with just a couple of tick left on the clock. I was praying for overtime at that point but Liam would have none of that.

Here's the post from the SUNYAC website:  Congratulations to Liam The shot against Plattsburgh was a heck of a shot. I rewound it 5 times hoping it would lip out! :(

"CORTLAND. N.Y. - The State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) has selected Oswego sophomore Liam Sanborn (Staten Island, N.Y.) as the Men's Basketball Athlete of the Week.

Sanborn posted 30 points, 12 assists, eight rebounds and three steals last weekend. The sophomore was instrumental in the Lakers' 86-84 upset of nationally-ranked Plattsburgh, recording the game-winning basket with just seconds remaining in the contest. Plattsburgh came into the contest ranked 15th in the country and led by as many as 12 in the early going before the Lakers stormed back for the victory. The Staten Island, N.Y. native ran the clock to less than 10 seconds and beat his primary defender to the lane. With a Cardinal post player stepping up to take away the layup, the sophomore floated a shot off the backboard and in with 3.9 seconds showing on the clock. A 40-foot desperation heave for Plattsburgh missed to the right at the final buzzer. Sanborn had 11 points and nine assists, playing all 40 minutes of the contest, the only Laker to do so."
[/quote]

magicman

Buffalo State 88 Brockport State 80

The Bengals must have sacrificed one of their assistant coaches to the basketball gods as they finally broke their unlucky streak with a victory over the Golden Eagles. Oswego, Plattsburgh and Cortland are certainly happy with the Bengals' coaching staff right now.

In a back and forth game that saw 4 ties and 12 lead changes Buffalo State saved their best for last. Tied at 70 with 5:44 left to play the Bengals got a steal and a layup from Christopher Jordan. That was followed with another steal by Buff State's Yosh Bernardez on Brockport's next possession. The Bengals called timeout and shortly after play resumed got a jumper from Dom Grayer to increase  the lead to 4 points with 3:27 left. Brockport scored inside, the Bengals answered with a pair from the stripe and after Brockport came up empty, Grayer hit what may have been the biggest shot of the night, when he buried a 3 pointer to put the Bengals up by 7 with 2:14 to play. Another Port turnover and a score by Buff State gave the Orange and Black a 9 point lead. Never say die Brockport, managed to cut the lead to 5 points with a minute left, but when Jordan scored inside for the Bengals with 56 seconds left the Golden Eagles had to foul down the stretch and Buffalo State went 5 of 6 from the line to post the 8 point win.

I'm sure the bus ride back to Buffalo was the best ride home the Bengals have had all year long!!! ;D       

The Bengals were led by freshman Kemron Frederick who came outta nowhere, in his first ever start, to grab scoring honors with 18 points in 19 minutes of court time.
Sheldon Adams added 16 points, 4 rebounds, 4 assists and 3 steals.
Kay Grant has a double-double with 11 points and a game high 10 rebounds.
Christopher Jordan had 10 points. 4 rebounds, 2 blocks and a steal.
Yosh Bernardez had 7 points, 6 assists. 6 steals and 5 rebounds.
Kareem Homes had 9 points, 3 assists, 2 rebounds and a steal.
Dom Grayer usually among the leading scorers only had 7 points but 5 of them came in crunch time and were huge. He added 2 rebounds, 2 assists and 2 steals.

It looked to be a total team effort that got the win for the Bengals as 10 different players broke into the scoring column and 11 players had rebounds.

Brockport's leading scorers were Brandon Kennedy-Gay and Jahidi Wallace who both tallied 14 points, both coming off the bench to do so. Kennedy-Gay added a pair of assists in 16 minutes of court time. Wallace also had 4 rebounds and a block in 18 minute on the floor.
Danny Ashley had 11 points, 8 assists, 2 rebounds and a steal in 24 minutes off the bench. 
Montgomery Stromen had 10 points, 3 rebounds, 2 steals and 1 assist in 20 minutes off the bench.
Justin Summers had 9 points, 8 rebounds,4 blocks and a steal.
Devante Hagins just missed a double-double as he had 9 points and grabbed 9 boards.

Brockport got 52 of 80 points scored from their bench.

Buffalo State outshot Brockport from the field and from long range by a small amount and they both made 17 free throws. The Bengals owned a 39-38 edge in rebounds. Both teams were turnover prone due to the pressure defense both teams use. Brockport lost the battle as they had 23 turnovers to 18 for the Bengals. It was the turnovers in the last 7:40 of the game that proved to be the turning point as Brockport gave up the ball 5 times that led to 8 Bengal points which just happens to be the exact margin of victory. The Bengals had 4 turnovers in that span but Brockport was only able to capitalize for a total of 2 points.

Buffalo State improves to 4-11 overall and 2-7 in the SUNYAC. They will return to action on Friday night when they travel to Cortland for a 7:30 PM tip off.

Brockport falls to 10-5 overall and 6-2 in the YAC. They make the long trip to the North Country this weekend and their first stop is Memorial Hall for a rematch with Plattsburgh State on Friday at 7t:30 PM I'm hoping for a contest similar to the one that took place back on December 7th when the Golden Eagles defeated Plattsburgh by a single point. I just want a different winner.   

magicman

Other scores from Tuesday night.

Oswego State 72  Potsdam State 70

Geneseo State 71 Fredonia State 62

Williams 73  Oneonta State 54.

All-Time

So Happy for the Buffalo State Bengals.
Quality win last night against Brockport.
I know one guy that is walking on water today. ;D
Hopefully this gets them going.

After Magicman's Cardinals losing 2 straight last weekend.
The SUNYAC is open for the taking.

Excited to see what teams will show up down the stretch.

Let's GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO