NESCAC

Started by LaPaz, September 11, 2011, 05:54:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blooter442

Quote from: Bobcat1 on November 05, 2018, 02:54:17 PM
Blooter, are you at all surprised Tufts got the bye?  I thought for sure Messiah would get it: no losses, conference champ, and defending national champ... Also, interesting to have the NESCAC teams grouped so tightly in the brackets. Travel clearly plays a significant role.

I'm not surprised that Tufts got a bye, but I kind of assumed Messiah would have a bye themselves (in a different quadrant). Then again, I guess Chicago was always going to get one as the top seed on the other side of the bracket, as I feel like — in my own observations — there's usually one bye on either side of the bracket rather than two on the same.

Bobcat1

Quote from: blooter442 on November 05, 2018, 02:57:38 PM
Quote from: Bobcat1 on November 05, 2018, 02:54:17 PM
Blooter, are you at all surprised Tufts got the bye?  I thought for sure Messiah would get it: no losses, conference champ, and defending national champ... Also, interesting to have the NESCAC teams grouped so tightly in the brackets. Travel clearly plays a significant role.

I'm not surprised that Tufts got a bye, but I kind of assumed Messiah would have a bye themselves (in a different quadrant). Then again, I guess Chicago was always going to get one as the top seed on the other side of the bracket, as I feel like — in my own observations — there's usually one bye on either side of the bracket rather than two on the same.

Messiah could have had a bye in its quadrant. They could have easily put Western Conn in the New England quadrant and had Tufts play someone like Thomas College in the first round and send Western Conn to the Conn College pod.  Perhaps it was the difference in SOS between Tufts and Messiah that gave Tufts the bye. Doesn't really matter at this point.  I'm just curious as to the rationale.

1970s NESCAC Player

Quote from: NEsoccerfan on November 05, 2018, 11:19:38 AM
Quote from: 1970s NESCAC Player on November 04, 2018, 07:50:03 PM
Quote from: deutschfan on November 04, 2018, 06:52:17 PM
Not to commit sacrilege, but do any of you on the NESCAC board really believe the league deserves 5 bids or that Williams that lost to the 6th place LL team should get in over Ithaca?  I only watched a few NESCAC games this year and that flip throw that Amherst used to win its quarter final match says a lot about overall league quality this year.  Joe Clarke has also drank the UAA Kool-Aid indicating his .500 team will be awaiting Monday's selection show.

Not sure about how many bids the NESCAC deserves, but someone needs to work on his grammar: "has drank"?

Unsolicited grammar lessons on a D3 soccer board. Come on now...

Good call.  My bad!  I apologize to deutschfan, who is an excellent poster!

nescac1

Wow, go NESCAC!  With five NESCAC teams, including two top seeds and two recent national champs, in that top right bracket it would at this point be a pretty big upset for NESCAC NOT to have a team in the Final Four.  Hopefully the Ephs can win a game or two on the road (with Messiah looming I don't hold out any hope of more than that) and earn Coach Sullivan his first NCAA win as an Eph coach. 

Mr.Right

I should preview these games in more detail later this week but a few notes......

St.Joe's got NO favors from the committee as that is a very difficult draw. They will be playing Midd and probably Amherst so if they get out of that pod they will have earned it. Both Amherst and Midd have flaws that St.Joe's can take advantage of but first they need to focus on Midd. Most people will pick St.Joe's to advance and I might be in that camp as well BUT they will be playing Midd on Amherst very narrow field. Midd has a significant size advantage over St,Joe's and will most certainly be bombing long throws and set pieces into the box where St.Joe's monster GK Blake Mullen is going to have to sacrifice his body and really play aggressive in his box and go get the ball. He is very capable of doing that but I am unsure of how quick he actually is. He is a monster but is he quick? He will be called upon to be making instant decisions on whether to come or stay home and it will only get much worse against Amherst. I opined to Tufts last season to shoot as much as they could against Mullen and keep the ball LOW. Make Mullen move and get him down on the ground. They must do that to get one by him. On the flip, St.Joe's has a great advantage going at Midd's shaky GK Hyer. He almost coughed up their season to Williams with a horrific mistake on a harmless long ball. St.Joe's and Mattos must shoot as much as they can and force Hyer to make decisions. Mattos will be going at Midd's Frosh McFarlane on defense who is a quick and confident player BUT Mattos is a veteran Senior with 50 Career Goals so he could be the difference maker in this game. This game will be an interesting contrast as if St.Joe's sits deep like they did against Tufts last season than I could see Midd trying to play a little futbol as they tend to do at times if teams give them the space. I think St.Joe's is just as good as Midd so there is no need to sit deep and compact against Midd and wait for a counter. Play them straight up and put Midd on the defensive. St.Joe's is plenty capable BUT if they play extremely conservative I think it would be a mistake as you would be giving Midd to much respect and they tend to grow into games and will get confidence as the game goes. I do not think St.Joe's can get thru both Midd and Amherst this weekend if they sit and absorb pressure. They must take advantage of each teams weaknesses and put them on the back pedal.

OldNed

Quote from: Mr.Right on November 05, 2018, 08:28:36 PM
I should preview these games in more detail later this week but a few notes......

St.Joe's got NO favors from the committee as that is a very difficult draw. They will be playing Midd and probably Amherst so if they get out of that pod they will have earned it. Both Amherst and Midd have flaws that St.Joe's can take advantage of but first they need to focus on Midd. Most people will pick St.Joe's to advance and I might be in that camp as well BUT they will be playing Midd on Amherst very narrow field. Midd has a significant size advantage over St,Joe's and will most certainly be bombing long throws and set pieces into the box where St.Joe's monster GK Blake Mullen is going to have to sacrifice his body and really play aggressive in his box and go get the ball. He is very capable of doing that but I am unsure of how quick he actually is. He is a monster but is he quick? He will be called upon to be making instant decisions on whether to come or stay home and it will only get much worse against Amherst. I opined to Tufts last season to shoot as much as they could against Mullen and keep the ball LOW. Make Mullen move and get him down on the ground. They must do that to get one by him. On the flip, St.Joe's has a great advantage going at Midd's shaky GK Hyer. He almost coughed up their season to Williams with a horrific mistake on a harmless long ball. St.Joe's and Mattos must shoot as much as they can and force Hyer to make decisions. Mattos will be going at Midd's Frosh McFarlane on defense who is a quick and confident player BUT Mattos is a veteran Senior with 50 Career Goals so he could be the difference maker in this game. This game will be an interesting contrast as if St.Joe's sits deep like they did against Tufts last season than I could see Midd trying to play a little futbol as they tend to do at times if teams give them the space. I think St.Joe's is just as good as Midd so there is no need to sit deep and compact against Midd and wait for a counter. Play them straight up and put Midd on the defensive. St.Joe's is plenty capable BUT if they play extremely conservative I think it would be a mistake as you would be giving Midd to much respect and they tend to grow into games and will get confidence as the game goes. I do not think St.Joe's can get thru both Midd and Amherst this weekend if they sit and absorb pressure. They must take advantage of each teams weaknesses and put them on the back pedal.

I'm good with the committee's decision to match St. Joe's with Middlebury, although I acknowledge that Middlebury is going to give St. Joe's trouble with their size. If I want St. Joe's to make any noise, they're going to have to beat some of the better teams from great conferences like the NESCAC, so now's their chance to show what they can do. 

I'm with you, Mr Right - I don't want to see St. Joe's play conservatively, and I think they will be able to generate some offense.  Players to look out for having big games offensively are Brett Mattos, Noah Robinson (if he can turn the corner on Middlebury's outside back, look out) and Cody Elliott.  Give the size advantage that Middlebury enjoys, I think St. Joe's should avoid playing direct and try to use their passing game to keep the ball on the ground.  I'm thinking one goal could win the game.

truenorth

There's no question St. Joe's deserves all the love they get in these discussions.  Their run over these past two seasons has been truly amazing. 

That said, I saw them play Bowdoin early in the season, which is obviously a small sample size.  I was impressed with their organization, their consistent effort and their teamwork.  I did not think they were overly impressive from a talent or a technical skill standpoint.  My sense is that they have been able to play at close to their optimal level throughout much of the season, but I'm not sure there's a lot of upside.  Whereas the NESCAC teams have an absurdly short preseason and a very compact and demanding regular season...and those NESCAC teams that make the NCAA tourney are usually on the improvement curve.

In short I would be surprised (but pleasantly so) if St. Joe's advances beyond one or two rounds of the tournament...

blooter442

All-NESCAC Selections

PoY: Marcucci
RoY: Giamattei
CoY: Murphy

https://www.nescac.com/sports/msoc/2018-19/honors/allconference

It does say a lot about the current state of the League as far as the perceived lack of goals that a goalkeeper won PoY. FWIW, Braun leads the NESCAC with 8 goals total. Someone I spoke with last week predicted it would be between Niang and Braun — as well as Braun has played this year he did not scream NESCAC Player of the Year to me, and a Niang selection after the whole Odulate over NPL hubbub three years ago would have been interesting — but I certainly didn't see a goalkeeper winning. That being said, Marcucci is a legit talent, and has been a big part of Conn.'s rise.

Bobcat1

Quote from: blooter442 on November 08, 2018, 04:07:57 PM
All-NESCAC Selections

PoY: Marcucci
RoY: Giamattei
CoY: Murphy

https://www.nescac.com/sports/msoc/2018-19/honors/allconference

It does say a lot about the current state of the League as far as the perceived lack of goals that a goalkeeper won PoY. FWIW, Braun leads the NESCAC with 8 goals total. Someone I spoke with last week predicted it would be between Niang and Braun — as well as Braun has played this year he did not scream NESCAC Player of the Year to me, and a Niang selection after the whole Odulate over NPL hubbub three years ago would have been interesting — but I certainly didn't see a goalkeeper winning. That being said, Marcucci is a legit talent, and has been a big part of Conn.'s rise.

IMO, Niang should have been POY. He stabilized the Bowdoin D by moving to CB , and still put up the second most goals with 7.  He did that on just 19 shots! He's an absolute force on the field, unselfish, and exudes class. He would have been a great choice. Marcucci did have a dominant year in net and should certainly be in the conversation, I just would have gone with Niang.

Mr.Right

Amherst with an interesting lineup to start the match v Bridgewater....Luke Nguyen is still out and Jimmy McMillian is not starting either. Serpone keeps fitzgerald at CB who absolutely killed them against Colby with his lack of pace...Let's see what Bridgewater State has today. If history is a guide the MASCAC Champions usually bow out rather quietly but I have not seen them play this year.

Conn College has no changes as they have been relatively injury free this season. MT I am guessing will be coming off the bench. Thomas usually plays somewhat dirty but finds ways to stay in games. I do not expect Conn to blow them out but they should have plenty of looks to score. Like last season they will have had 2 weeks of rest before the NCAA's so let's see if they can come out guns a blazin or do they come out looking a bit sloppy?

Mr.Right

Amherst is again playing on Gooding Field / turf as their grass field probably got soaked last night.

Mr.Right

Nescac ROY German Giammattei had a GOLDEN opportunity to give Amherst an early lead but hit a nice ball from Lind just wide...Gotta finish that one Rook

Mr.Right

Conn College takes an early 1-0 lead off a long throw---header flick----poor defending by Thomas that allowed a Conn player to slip the ball to his left foot and rip it to the far post and it clanged right in off the post...Nice hit but poor defending by Thomas....

Mr.Right

Amherst gets a goal late in the Half with about 10 minutes left off a cross by Giammattei and a failed clearance by Bridgewater as the kid knocked the ball into his own net for an own goal...Bad defending there but Bridgewater has been better than I expected. 1-0 Amherst almost Halftime...

Interesting Note:  Nescac COY Kenny Murphy is not on the sideline today as his 2 Assistant Coaches are leading the way so no idea what happened to Murphy today. Maybe a personal issue but who knows...I do not remember a Red Card or anything like that against Hamilton.

BendIt007

I think I heard announcer at Conn game say Ken Murphy not there as his daughter is getting married today.