FB: Liberty League

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattvsmith

I'd be stoked to get $100, especially if it was more than the guest could really afford.

pg04

Quote from: Rt Rev J.H. Hobart on July 03, 2013, 07:42:51 PM
I'd be stoked to get $100, especially if it was more than the guest could really afford.

I was listening to a show where someone else was offended by "just" $100. I mean, really?? I'd love $100! Especially if you were getting it multiple times. Weddings shouldn't be about what gifts you get.

Jonny Utah

Quote from: pg04 on July 05, 2013, 12:13:23 PM

I was listening to a show where someone else was offended by "just" $100. I mean, really?? I'd love $100! Especially if you were getting it multiple times. Weddings shouldn't be about what gifts you get.

You can never be offended by a gift, but I can imagine that it might be upsetting if someone close to you stiffs you on a gift when you know they could afford more.  But you can't ever say anything about it.

If I go to a wedding that I know is going to cost $100 a plate, I usually give $200 (me and my wife).  Now I'm not poor or anything either, and if I was just getting out of college, I might give $50 per person, but I do usually chauk it up to a night out that someone else is paying for.

AUPepBand

Quote from: Jonny "Utes" Utah on July 05, 2013, 12:56:21 PM
Quote from: pg04 on July 05, 2013, 12:13:23 PM

You can never be offended by a gift, but I can imagine that it might be upsetting if someone close to you stiffs you on a gift when you know they could afford more.  But you can't ever say anything about it.

If I go to a wedding that I know is going to cost $100 a plate, I usually give $200 (me and my wife).  Now I'm not poor or anything either, and if I was just getting out of college, I might give $50 per person, but I do usually chauk it up to a night out that someone else is paying for.

Maybe Pep is living in another world here in Mayberry, where perhaps we do things a bit differently, but Pep is thinking it presumptuous on the part of the bride/groom to expect that the "gifts" they receive will pay for the costs incurred for the event. It would be a good exercise for the couple to set a wedding budget and work together to keep the cost within that budget.  Working within a budget spurs all sorts of creativity. One can net the same result...a classy, fun, memorable wedding reception...and spend far less than one might.

On Saxon Warriors! On to Victory!
...Fight, fight for Alfred, A-L-F, R-E-D!

mattvsmith

My Fellow Liberty Leaguers,

I (The Rev) will be interviewed on BBC Radio 5, Monday night at 11:10, NY time.
You can hear me live on a streaming broadcast at http://www.bbc.co.uk/5live/on-air

I'll talk about the Asiana Airlines crash in San Francisco on Saturday.

HSCTiger74

Quote from: Rt Rev J.H. Hobart on July 08, 2013, 08:23:02 AM

You can hear me live on a streaming broadcast at http://www.bbc.co.uk/5live/on-air

Bravo Rev ... well done. I was especially impressed that (unlike many expert commentators) when you didn't know or weren't sure you said so.
TANSTAAFL

mattvsmith

Quote from: HSCTiger74 on July 08, 2013, 11:27:54 PM
Quote from: Rt Rev J.H. Hobart on July 08, 2013, 08:23:02 AM

Bravo Rev ... well done. I was especially impressed that (unlike many expert commentators) when you didn't know or weren't sure you said so.

Thanks, Tiger. I was nervous as Hades, and I was surprised how quickly the interview flew by. No time to BS or anything.

USCG taught me never to make up an answer, because the media WILL find out and that will destroy credibility. Better to admit you don't know, get the number of the journalist, and get back to him or her with the answer. I won't have the chance to get back to him, but at least I was truthful.

mattvsmith

Here is the link to the show on which I was interviewed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b036kz83

The segment starts at 3:16:28. I was introduced at 3:17:35, ending at 3:23:00-ish.

ITH radio

Looking forward to checking it out.  Guessing Rossi will be offering you a job as co-host in Season VI after this stellar radio performance....
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

ITH radio

Quote from: Rt Rev J.H. Hobart on July 09, 2013, 02:11:18 AM
Here is the link to the show on which I was interviewed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b036kz83

The segment starts at 3:16:28. I was introduced at 3:17:35, ending at 3:23:00-ish.
\

Great work.  I think you should change your handle to "Torturous Circumlocution". 

ITH radio

Frank Rossi

lewdogg11

Pretty shocked to see Hobart at 7, but not as shocked as I was to see Framingham State receiving 2 votes.  I mean come on!  Is there a voter just wanting a pre-season throwaway ballot to see an NEFC team somewhere on the list?  Might as well just put Castleton State on the ballot too.

ITH radio

Yeah, as a fan it's great exposure for the school and the LL.  On the flip side, however it kind of adds undue pressure to the team.  A ranking that high suggests (paraphasing here) that Hobart should go untested in their regular season schedule, which at least two LL teams are likely to suggest otherwise.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: LewDogg11 on July 18, 2013, 12:20:54 PM
Pretty shocked to see Hobart at 7, but not as shocked as I was to see Framingham State receiving 2 votes.  I mean come on!  Is there a voter just wanting a pre-season throwaway ballot to see an NEFC team somewhere on the list?  Might as well just put Castleton State on the ballot too.

Framingham more than held its own against Cortland last year in the playoffs. I didn't see someone throwing them a No. 24 spot as being an issue.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.