World Cup and European leagues

Started by Jim Matson, June 11, 2006, 12:00:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Browneagle64

What a game for FC Copenhagen. ;D Congrats to this team that never gave up

That was a late thriller by the way.
THey went ahead and ended Manchester United's perfect Champions League record thanks to a late goal from Marcus Allback. What a stunning and yet unexpected victory against the great Man. U... :)
"Statistics are used much like a drunk uses a lamppost: for support, not illumination."--Vin Scully

"I don't really care," he said with an impish smile. "It's all about the Dodgers. I don't think anyone really watches hockey anymore.".....Tiger Woods

Greek Tragedy

Details are being worked out for Freddy Adu to have a 2-month tryout with Manchester United and if things go well, they'll try to sign him during the January transfer window.  I don't think he's good enough. 
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Mr. Ypsi

OS,

You forgot to finish with a very important word - "YET". ;D

They may sign him just to keep anyone else from signing him.

Browneagle64

It sounds and Looks like Man U. will take a chance on this young grass hoper and train him to be good. Many hope that with such experience Young freddy's skills can mirror what Pele used to do on the field. IMHO, I think that he will gain more knowlegde and preparation even if he doesn't have a starting spot. As long as he is picking up tips, skills and masterful techniques during practice, he will end up being better than he is.
"Statistics are used much like a drunk uses a lamppost: for support, not illumination."--Vin Scully

"I don't really care," he said with an impish smile. "It's all about the Dodgers. I don't think anyone really watches hockey anymore.".....Tiger Woods

Stinger

Adu had the chance to sign with Man U and many other  European clubs before he chose DC United at age 15.  It'll be interesting to see what Sir Alex and the Queroz  think of him after  spending a few years in the MLS. I think he has the potential to be a great player in the EPL. However, I do think his attitude is crap, kind of like how a teenager making $1mil might act: spoiled rotten.
There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.

Nigel Powers - Goldmember

Mr. Ypsi

I have a vague recollection of recently reading about an American 13 or 14 year old who is supposedly BETTER than Freddy was at that age, but I can't recall any details.  Ring a bell with anyone?  (The only thing I recall was that his parents were Argentine [or possibly Brazillian], and strongly considering moving him back there.)

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

There's very little chance anyone is better than Adu was at 13-14.  It was one of the main reasons why everyone thought (thinks) he's lied about his age.  He literally kicked the world's butt in the big junior tournament that year.  I mean he made everyone including the great Lionel Messi look slow and foolish.  AC Milan offered him 4 million right there, but his mom didn't want him leaving home so young.

Now he's still good, but not nearly the world beater he was.  I think he'll do great with ManU because they have a strong youth program that plays a lot of matches and actually has a budget.  It's a good move for him.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Browneagle64

Having a young sqaud facing with the Older guys will indeed make Adu better. And you guys are right, if ADU is not humble about having the opportunity to play with a club that is giving him millions, his ego will get the last of him, to the point where we will be hearing about him starting the left bench position.

Browneagle64

Fellas, I am so siked about the possible arrival of Juergen Klinsmann as the U.S. National team's H.C..(Eventhough he already lives here in the states.)

It's interesting to have read his resume and to discover what he does in order to do the best possible job as a H.C.
what's even funnier is that Klinsmann uses a plan that makes people think that he is crazy. His number one goal to improve any squad is just plan odd to some critics. But he does a fine job in knowing how to scout youth and use them in his master plan.

He did this to a german national team that was not that good for the past twp world cups and his result was awesome. The L.A. times pointed out that his german starters for the world cup team consisted of players that were no older than 23. This just points out that he mold young fast men into fast and mature guys that want to win at all means for their country.

THis plan would be crazy for the u.s., but he is willing to have the young and fast kids challenge even the big names on the US team in order to do well.
It would be awesome and yet interesting to see if Klinsmann helps our team reach its highest. 

WLCALUM83

Had Germany lost to Argentina in the World Cup, do you think Klinsmann would still be getting his current level of credit? (That match went to a penalty kick shootout which Germany won--however, Argentina was going with its'second string goal-keeper for the end of the second half, OT's and shoot-out).

As it was the few fellow German fans I talked to said they were very happy with Germany's fourth-place finish.  ;)

Stinger

Quote from: WLCALUM83 on November 27, 2006, 05:07:45 PM
Had Germany lost to Argentina in the World Cup, do you think Klinsmann would still be getting his current level of credit? (That match went to a penalty kick shootout which Germany won--however, Argentina was going with its'second string goal-keeper for the end of the second half, OT's and shoot-out).

As it was the few fellow German fans I talked to said they were very happy with Germany's fourth-place finish.  ;)

He's not the one that substituted Riquelme for some god awful reason.
There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.

Browneagle64

Interesting that you brought that up WLC---

Yet so true. I remember watching that game and seeing that towards the end of time, Argentinas back-up goalie had to be put in. What a way to put pressure on the back-up heading into OT on the worlds biggest stage.

THe point though is that Klinsmann did better than his successor with the German national team. He made sure to go with guys that were young, fast and urgent to win more games. He convinced the youngsters to do above than what was expected. In in the end we all say that as they crushed their opponents before they made it to the last leg of the tourney. The germany team wanted to proved that being young and having home field advantage across the tourney was a way be placed on the map of the world in terms of soccer

Stinger

Regarding Adu's tryout:

"Freddy has done all right," Ferguson confirmed. "He is a good talented young boy but there is nothing we can do about him. What we did was to bring him here to give him an idea of what United was like, so he could see the place and see how comfortable he was with it.

"He is a very confident and talented boy but nothing can be done just yet. He will go back to the United States and we will keep a check on him. Then, when he is 18, we will have to assess what we can do next."

Browneagle64

Good Ol' Man U. should be praised for thinking about the present and not yet on the future. apparently, Man. U really wants to stay on top of being billed as the Club that will take it all with a team of the highest quality
In fact,The shock arrival of Henrik Larsson will mark the end of Manchester United's extensive striker search until next summer. Moves like this just point out that The U. is doing everything possible to be the best.

However, its sad to hear and read that Freddy Adu was only invited by the U. to first be assessed and report that he should be ready by the time he is 18. What a lame excuse. If they really want the present to be better, the least they can do is have this fresh talent on the practice squad fighting for a chance to be an awesome player.

Browneagle64

Fellas,

It will be interesting to see what Coach Bradley does as he steps in for the HC job for the National Team. It would have been great to learn and see what Klinsmann would have done had he used his strategy in employing at ton of youth in his starting line-up. For a min. I was so siked about his game plan. Yet, I am still happy to see that Bradley will now get a chance to show off his coaching skills at the highest level. It will indeed be interesting to see what he does come june as the Defending Concaf.......(sp) cup champs gear up for the World Cup trials.