World Cup and European leagues

Started by Jim Matson, June 11, 2006, 12:00:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Kaka scores again, going three on one with the makeshift ManU defense and winning.  He's playing really well today.  Oh and the ManU defense better get healthy quick, Evra's yellow knocks him out of the second leg.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Rooney put home the equalizer shortly after Carrick missed an open net from 5 yards out.

ManU still needs one more goal.  I can't imagine them scoring more than 2 in Milan; they need to come out of this one ahead.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

ManU 3:2 AC Milan

Rooney put in a  goal from outside the box just as the assistant referee was putting up the sign for two ET minutes.

The Red Devils escaped with one here; Milan was not on its game offensively.

ScotsFan

I  watched the ManU/AC Milan match last night and what a match it was!  Rooney has really found his scoring touch in Champions League matches.  After going scoreless in 17 straight Champions League matches he has now found the back of the net in 3 straight!

Quote from: Hoops Fan on April 24, 2007, 04:42:11 PM
The Red Devils escaped with one here; Milan was not on its game offensively.
I thought that Milan blew a golden opportunity.  After Kaka scored his second to put Milan up 2-1, you could really see a deflated ManU side and Milan tried to jump on them then, but failed to get that curcial 3rd goal.  Then in the 2nd Kaka had a couple of golden opportunities to get Milan's 3rd goal, but couldn't find the net.  Once ManU scored the equalizer, it was all Reds from that point on and all Milan could do was seemingly hold on for dear life until Rooney got free for the winner just into ST!

Personally, I don't think it was a case of Milan not being on their game offensively.  Yes, they very easily could have put 4-5 goals in last night, but on the same token, ManU missed several golden opportunites as well.  Carrick's miss from point blank range off of a corner was one and Dida made some fantastic saves off of a couple of really good strikes from Fletcher. 

Really, I think the difference in the match were a couple of key injuries for Milan and the fact that ManU really tired out the veteran Itialian side.  Losing Maldini at the half and Gattuso early in the 2nd really hurt Milan.

As for next week's game at San Siro, Evra's card will deplete ManU's decimated lineup even more.  Although, Evra's booking was questionable at best.  But that's another story.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

AC just hasn't seemed to have it together offensively in their last four or five champs league matches.  They seem to be out of sorts.  Of course, they go back home one down with two away goals.  San Siro is a huge advantage for them; ManU will be lucky to score more than 1 goal.  It will have to be a defensive effort for them.

Evra might not have deserved the card when he got it, but about thirty seconds later he totally earned it with a hard tackle.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Chelsea and Liverpool are well under way.  Joe Cole scored in the 29th minute on a feed from Drogba to put the home side up.

sac

I hope next weeks Chelsea/Liverpool game has more action, ...........and less Zenden.  Liverpool were strange today.........it took me 90 minutes to realize Riise was even in the game and that was during handshakes, and it took almost as long for Liverpool to realize that they have Steven Gerrard and he's kind of good.  Bellamy was invisible........guess you credit Chelsea's defense but Liverpool were almost no threat offensively today. 

Also hope Drogba recovers from all those injuries.  ::) :D

But at any rate, both games are set up for a tense 90 minutes next week.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Yeah, it was odd.  It was almost as if Liverpool was playing for a draw from the beginning and didn't know what to do when Chelsea scored.  I know they have a tremendous home pitch advantage, but the tactics seemed off.

Oh well, it will certainly be exciting next week, although I'll be at the dentist when it's on.

Hoosier Titan

I have the match on Tivo but haven't watched it yet.  The starting lineup was not what I would have expected--I would have started either Pennant or Gonzales on a wing, especially with Bellamy up front as those two are faster.  Zenden was a surprise and, although he seems a solid player, he hasn't produced much for the Reds yet.  But then that's why Rafa is there and I'm not.   :D

As a Liverpool supporter I'm disappointed but not terribly discouraged.  The Reds have already beaten Chelsea 2-0 at Anfield once this season.  I think the fact that Chelsea is still contending for the PL title may force them to go all out this weekend--more so than Liverpool will have to.

Both matches next week look to be very interesting and tight.
You'll never walk alone.

sac

Given the fact, yesterday was the first goal Chelsea has scored vs Liverpool in 5 Euro matches you can't really fault the tactics.  The goal was really two great all out hustle and muscle plays by Drogba and Cole.

I just thought it was weird that Zenden seemed to have the ball so much, I've never thought he was all that great.

.....and yeah, Chelsea get Arsenal Saturday.  Not exactly a pushover game where you can rest people.  Liverpool have Portsmouth, but have no incentive to field a strong team.  They can't finish 2nd and can do no worse than 4th, garunteed a Champions League spot.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I heard rumor than Zenden and other unexpected starters were getting minutes and possession because a number of Chelsea players were sitting on yellows and Liverpool was looking to thin the ranks for next week.  It didn't really work out that way, but it makes a little more sense tactically.

sac

My bad.......Chelsea get Bolton this weekend, still no pushover and Bolton's playing for a UEFA Cup spot.

ScotsFan

I don't think Chelsea has any choice but to field a strong team for their EPL matches if they want any conceivable shot at catching ManU for the title.  Especially given the fact that ManU is pretty much ravaged by injuries.  This is now or never time for Chelsea as far as catching and overtaking ManU for the EPL title.  If I were Mourinho, I would make my priority getting 3 points on Saturday and then letting the chips fall where they may vs. Liverpool next week at Anfield.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

There's a lot more money in a Champs League victory than in an EPL first place though.  I'd have to think with the money that goes into these clubs these days that pounds would have to be the first thing on their minds.

As far as fans go, what do think the fans like more?  Especially from these super-clubs who are always competing in Europe, sure the EPL title is great, but being European Champion has to be high on the list.  I haven't had much exposure to UK fans, but it seems like they are far more into cup competitions (FA Cup, Champs League) than they are the EPL.  Again, an "it's nice to win, but so long as we get a top place we're ok" sort of mentality.  What do you all think?

Northern_Explorer

Quote from: Hoops Fan on April 27, 2007, 12:07:32 PM

There's a lot more money in a Champs League victory than in an EPL first place though.  I'd have to think with the money that goes into these clubs these days that pounds would have to be the first thing on their minds.
Generally, I think the league is the top priority for domestic fans.  Champions League is huge as well - lots of teams field weakened FA Cup sides (and League Cup as well), but I think it's a situation where you're going for it on both ends.  Neither Chelsea nor ManUtd are going to be able to rest anyone down the stretch and obviously injuries and "man management" are critical.  Basically, if United can get Ferdinand or Vidic back, they're probably home and dry - it's coming down to whether United can hold it together without Ferdinand better than Chelsea did while Terry was out.