World Cup and European leagues

Started by Jim Matson, June 11, 2006, 12:00:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Browneagle64

wow, i can't wait until the M.N.T (team u.s.a) plays china in 10 days. I hope that coach bradley and co. have been getting the guys ready in order to show case better results this time around.
"Statistics are used much like a drunk uses a lamppost: for support, not illumination."--Vin Scully

"I don't really care," he said with an impish smile. "It's all about the Dodgers. I don't think anyone really watches hockey anymore.".....Tiger Woods

Gotberg

Quote from: Hoosier Titan on May 23, 2007, 04:58:03 PM
Wow...the high points for Liverpool are few and far between.  Jermaine Pennant had a breakout game, and the defense on Kaka was outstanding.  He was a non-factor. 

The foul on Kaka outside the box led to the first goal.  The pass from Kaka to Inzaghi led to the second goal.  He was a definite factor.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best

Hoosier Titan

Quote from: Gotberg on May 24, 2007, 03:24:47 PM
Quote from: Hoosier Titan on May 23, 2007, 04:58:03 PM
Wow...the high points for Liverpool are few and far between.  Jermaine Pennant had a breakout game, and the defense on Kaka was outstanding.  He was a non-factor. 

The foul on Kaka outside the box led to the first goal.  The pass from Kaka to Inzaghi led to the second goal.  He was a definite factor.

Ouch.  Sure, he helped set that up.  My point was that the Liverpool defense did not let him go on those long solo runs the way he did against Man U.   Look at my first sentence again--I was trying, as a Liverpool supporter, to see some bright spots.  That goal was indeed the difference, so in that regard, Kaka was a factor.

You'll never walk alone.

Stinger

There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.

Nigel Powers - Goldmember

sac

Quote from: Stinger on May 24, 2007, 05:37:25 PM
hand-ball?

That was my initial thought the first time I saw it.  Not sure after seeing countless replays.

Interesting that if the Italian federation had kept their original points docking penalties on AC Milan last season, Milan wouldn't have been in the competition this season.  Seems like all those teams basically ended up with a slap on the wrist, compared to what they originally were given.

Nice to see 3 English teams in the Semi's but AC were clearly the best of the four.

Stinger

How about Becks? The guy is on a hot streak right now and leading Real Madrid to the top of the table in La Liga.   He's called up to play for England in tomorrow's friendly against Brazil.   His crosses are pin point.  Great time for him to be joining the MLS.

There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.

Nigel Powers - Goldmember

WLCALUM83

6/02/07 Finals:

USA 4, China 1.

Germany 6, San Marino 0

Mexico 4, Iran 0. (Borgettti and Lozano scored 2 of the goals, the former on a header that ended a series of richochets between the goal mouth and the penalty area and the latter on a cross-feed that worked to perfection). One of Iran's players was ejected late in the match for a rough tackle.

France and Italy also won their matches.

sac

From what I saw vs Brazil, Beckham looks in great shape, and he creates things England can't create without him.  His first free kick looked for sure like it was going in.

The new Wembley is very impressive

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Beckham may be getting a career second wind.  And he's now locked into the US.  I think that deal was a win-win all around.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Browneagle64

Congrats to team USA on their recent win v.s. china. I am sure glad that Coach B. and co. got the team ready this time around. The Germany match againt San Marino wasn't that good because Germany was expected to beat them by a lot; which they did.

As for the Mexico game, great to see that Coach Sanchez has a lot of confidence in putting older and more experienced guys on the starting roster. However, i am not to sure if this strategy will work well once heavy international play comes around.
"Statistics are used much like a drunk uses a lamppost: for support, not illumination."--Vin Scully

"I don't really care," he said with an impish smile. "It's all about the Dodgers. I don't think anyone really watches hockey anymore.".....Tiger Woods

Hoosier Titan

The question is:  is McClaren brilliant for bringing Becks back, or was he stupid to sack him in the first place?  Maybe both.

The statement I saw from Alexi Lalas sounded supportive in the short term, but a little less so if Beckham is to be back on the England side indefinitely.

England looked at least as good as in the World Cup against Brazil, and much better than they did in any other match under McClaren.

Against Estonia, I'd like to see Peter Crouch up front with Owen--Alan Smith didn't impress.  And Stephen Gerrard should be closer to the front, although he played the holding midfielder position well.

I wish there weren't so many injuries on the defensive line--Jamie Carragher is out of position at right back.  Hopefully Estonia won't have the footspeed of Ronaldinho and company. ;)
You'll never walk alone.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

It will be a big deal for LA if Beckham misses any matches this summer.  The way they're jacking up prices and making all sorts of extra accommodations for his matches around the league, they need him to be there for all of them.

sac

I'm kind of wondering if Beckham wasn't hurt more in Germany last year than he let on.  Maybe his conditioning fell off because of it, but he looks better physically than he has in more than a couple years.  Could also be he's worked very hard because he wants the move to LA to be successfull.  I think he has a pretty large stake in it all.

McClaren seemed to maybe keep Beckham off the England team to make a statement, like "I'm not above removing the captain, so you better perform."  Unfortunately it kind of backfired on him.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

It worked well all around.  Beckham might be a very public figure, but he's a very private guy and the one things he wants more than anything else it to break the record for caps for the England squad.  Removing him from the team was more motivation than anyone could give to him.  He's got more money than God.  The money from LA wasn't motivation.  All of those players love the English national team more than we can ever understand.

He got off his horse, won his spot back on the Real squad and now got back with England.  I'm glad McClaren found a way to get the most gifted footballer of this generation back into a professional training regimen, whether he did it on purpose or not.

Browneagle64

Whatever is in his water I hope that he uses it all summer long in Carson, C.A.
As of 3 months ago, i bought a mini-summer Galaxy season plan that cost me an arm and leg just to go see the new circus coming to town. And believe me, the hype is just about to heat up even more in so.cal.