MBB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by steelyglen, February 15, 2005, 09:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rmc6thman

Quote from: baselinejam on February 25, 2008, 01:20:44 PM
Quote from: Billy Jack on February 25, 2008, 12:36:40 PM
For all of you memory-challenged," astute" observers of the game:  the system has beaten the beloved "real" basketball teams of every ODAC conference member with the exception of Guilford . The system beat Greensboro twice this year (yes, the same Greensboro team that beat Guilford ).  E&H deviated from the system as the year progressed and abandoned it entirely during the latter part of the year.  It is difficult to value the opinion of those who do not (or are unable to) pay attention.

Let me get this straight. The system was so effective that your team abandoned it during the later part of the year. You obviously love your team; which is great. However, you need to develop some perspective. W&L beat Guilford a couple of years ago - that ain't helping them too much today. I think the W&L players love playing you. This year we were deeper and had better athletes and got to put up some ridiculous numbers against E&H. If the system is so great; how come the more more talented teams aren't adopting it? The AASAA offense seems to be getting many schools to use it, from high school to the pros. The 'system' seems to be used only when a team does have a lot of size or athleticism. So, as I said before when E&H could run 3 or 4 lines at us and had better athletes it seemed to work. Now it doesn't. What will they run next year?

Let's move past this...I agree with Steely, E&H was more relevant before the system...if they did abandon it towards the end of the year, it may be a good thing for them.  I think Paul Russo will be a good coach, and maybe this is his first move toward putting his stamp on that program.  Let's move on to teams that ARE in the tournament...

hasanova

Quote from: sludge on February 25, 2008, 11:00:26 AM
Quote from: steelyglen on February 25, 2008, 08:30:24 AMcan anybody derail a Guilford v. Va. Wesleyan final?
Yes.  Anyone on either side of the bracket could do that. 
For instance, if you think Guilford is going to overlook EMU, you're dreaming.  :P
sludge, you are so right!  There was a lesson for Guilford in the #2 vs #7 first-round game with BC last season!  Conversations I've had with folks close to the team tell me that lesson was learned.  When I saw EMU at GC on February 17, I was impressed with how well the Royals shot.  I'm not surprised they won some games this year.  To be more precise, I'm surprised they didn't win more!  It may be #1 vs #8, but the Quakers will need to bring their A-game.  With last year's first-round loss, this season's current 13-game winning streak, all the graduating seniors and having never won the ODAC tournament, I think the players and coaches have all the motivation they need to make sure they're ready to play!

Besides, in a ten team league where eight teams make the tournament, the #8 seed is generally a much stronger team than the #8 seed in an 8 team league.   

oldfish

Clearly Billy Jack is not serious.  You people take things too seriously sometim...wait...he was serious???? 

yj2505

Another first time poster but long time reader....seems to be that time of year.  Looking at RMC's numbers right now they appear on the outside looking in for a Pool C bid.  However, I'm a little perplexed when looking at their regional record, listed at 15-5 both on the regional rankings and on the OWP index.  They have 4 ODAC losses and a loss to John Carroll.  Seems to me the loss to John Carroll would be out of region and RMC would be 15-4 which makes a big difference in their current situation.  What am I missing? 

Anyways, all this will be a moot point if the Jackets run through Salem this weekend.     

rmc6thman

I would have to agree the RMC is on the outside right now...not even sure two wins this weekend will get them a Pool C, although they have a very good SOS.  It is never fun having to wait and see what the committee decides, always better to take care of business.  I would have to think that 22-6 would get them in, although I would much rather see 23-5 and perfect weekend and another banner in Crenshaw!  Here's to getting hot at the right time!

ODACfan4life

Billy Jack always stirred up trouble when he rode into town, always misunderstood.  He was always just looking after the less fortunate kids.....

tigerfan

Pat Coleman

Quote from: yj2505 on February 25, 2008, 03:21:18 PM
Another first time poster but long time reader....seems to be that time of year.  Looking at RMC's numbers right now they appear on the outside looking in for a Pool C bid.  However, I'm a little perplexed when looking at their regional record, listed at 15-5 both on the regional rankings and on the OWP index.  They have 4 ODAC losses and a loss to John Carroll.  Seems to me the loss to John Carroll would be out of region and RMC would be 15-4 which makes a big difference in their current situation.  What am I missing? 

Anyways, all this will be a moot point if the Jackets run through Salem this weekend.     

This is the definition of a regional game:

http://www.d3hoops.com/faq.php?question=44
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

ODACfan4life

I could have been mistaken, but I think I saw the letters "E&H" on Billy's hat in that video.......

3sdown

Quote from: tigerfan on February 25, 2008, 07:12:47 PM
This is what happens to people who don't respect the 3 point record: http://youtube.com/watch?v=v325wdgoFH4&feature=related

Tigerfan--

You deserve "Post of the Year" Honors for the above post!

yj2505

Quote from: Pat Coleman on February 25, 2008, 07:28:57 PM
Quote from: yj2505 on February 25, 2008, 03:21:18 PM

This is the definition of a regional game:

http://www.d3hoops.com/faq.php?question=44

Thanks...so it would have been better for Macon to beat John Carroll and lose to one of the PA teams they played.  NCAA rules in d3 are hard to follow.  

Pat Coleman

Well, this is the time of year to learn them. We lay them out for you all over the site -- check out the front page story, for example.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

DenbowsRoomie

W&L vs ROANOKE

Seems like a waste for these teams to play eachother in the first-round, since both would've had potential to upset one of this year's ODAC higher powers.  That being said, it should be a great match-up.

Traditionally (the past 20 years), the Maroons have owned the Gennies, but W&L got a huge monkey off their back with their first win in the Bast Center in umpteen-million years.  An overtime win at that.

Can the Gennies dump the Maroons again in a (cough) neutral Salem Civic Center?

I REALLY REALLY like the Gennies draw, to be honest.  As I said previously, I feel W&L matches up with Guilford better than the likes of VaWes or RMC.  I just hope W&L can put first things first and win their first ODAC tourney game in a long time.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I wonder if anyone told HSC they had no chance of pulling off the upset in the 2nd round last season?

They proceeded to beat Guilford and then Roanoke to win the ODAC title and AQ.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

sludge

Quote from: Dave "d-mac" McHugh on February 25, 2008, 10:20:59 PM
I wonder if anyone told HSC they had no chance of pulling off the upset in the 2nd round last season?

They proceeded to beat Guilford and then Roanoke to win the ODAC title and AQ.

Nah Dave, you give too much credit, Guilford was gone by the second round due to good work by Bridgewater.