WBB: North Coast Athletic Conference

Started by David Collinge, November 23, 2004, 04:59:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jscwittfan

How about those Witt women?  It wasn't pretty, but a solid, come from behind 57-54 win over OWU.  Keeps them in first over Allegheny.

Still would like to see a little more consistency out of them, but they still have time to solidify everything before tournament time.
"When my time here on Earth is done I want to be buried upside down, so my critics can kiss my ass."
-Bobby Knight

witt4ever

Wittenberg wins regular season title outright with a 59-46 win over Wooster

;D

jscwittfan

Sadly, I think we may be the only two on these boards who care...
"When my time here on Earth is done I want to be buried upside down, so my critics can kiss my ass."
-Bobby Knight

witt4ever

Both semifinal games will be broadcast by Wittenberg.

Denison v Allegheny @ 5:30pm

Wittenberg  v Kenyon @ 7:45pm

Link to the broadcast:

http://www4.wittenberg.edu/news/athletics/broadcast/

------------------------
Denison 59
Allegheny 42

David Collinge

Both the coaches and media agree that the NCAC is a two-team race this season, with Denison expected to edge out Wittenberg for top honors.  Both groups see a clear second tier, consisting of Allegheny, Kenyon, and OWU. 

Coaches poll:
1. Denison (7)...79
2. Wittenberg (2)..77
3. Allegheny...54
4. Kenyon...53
5. Ohio Wesleyan...50
6. Wooster...35
7. Oberlin...26
8. Earlham...19
9. Hiram...17

Media poll:
1. Denison (14)...182
2. Wittenberg (6)...177
3. Allegheny...133
4. Kenyon (2)...128
5. Ohio Wesleyan...120
6. Wooster...91
7. Earlham...64
8. Oberlin...56
9. Hiram...33

Good luck to all nine squads!

David Collinge

Tipoff weekend is here, and at Wooster that means the Nan Nichols Classic.  Not exactly a stellar field, Olivet takes on Thiel on Saturday at 1pm, followed by Lake Erie vs. Wooster at 3.  That game figures to be a real "friends and relatives" game, and I'll wager that even those friends and relatives in attendance will probably have personal radios tuned to the other major Ohio-based sporting event that afternoon.  Of course I mean the D3 cross country championships in West Chester!  :)

David Collinge

Congratulations to two senior standouts on reaching the 1,000 point milestone here in the first week of the season:

* Wooster's Carly Loehrke scored her thousandth point as part of a 34-point, 16-rebound barrage as Wooster topped Thiel 78-65 to win the Nan Nichols Classic on Sunday.  For her efforts, Loehrke was named the first NCAC Player of the Week for this season.
* Denison's Kristen Sheffield drained a three pointer early in the second half tonight to reach 1,000 for her career.  Sheffield finished with 13 as the defending NCAC champs easily disposed of Bethany 66-49, moving to 2-1 on the young season.

Congratulations to Carly and Kristen!  :)

gowoo

Jessie Oram of Oberlin just went over the 1,000 point mark as well for her career.
Congrats as well to her!!!! :D
Should be a fun year this year in the NCAC: lots of great seniors and lots of outstanding freshmen too!!!

David Collinge

Thanks for that addition, gowoo.  I'm sorry I overlooked Jessie, and I add my congratulations as well.  :)

Here's a link to the Oberlin press release.  Oram scored 24 points, grabbed 7 rebounds, and added 4 steals and two blocks as Oberlin defeated Bluffton 76-68.  Oberlin is now 2-1 on the season, suffering only a one-point loss to Mitchell at Vassar's tournament.  Oram did not play in that game, and has not started the two games since, despite starting all 23 games she played in last season while leading the Yeowomen in scoring, rebounds, and blocked shots, and being named to the all-NCAC second team.  Do you know why she's not (yet) starting?

gowoo

Don't know why Jessie is sitting.  ???
She's a great kid, hope she's OK!!!!!
Conference play starts next week: can't wait to see how the field shakes out.
Good luck to all of the teams (and especially to Wooster!!!)  ;)

David Collinge

Jessie's feat may have escaped my notice, but it didn't escape the notice of the league office, which today named her the NCAC Player of the Week:
QuoteNovember 27, 2006

Oberlin's Jessie Oram (New York, NY/Beqcon), a 6-0, senior center, led
the Yeowomen to a 76-68 win over Bluffton, scoring a game-high 24 points
and tying for the team lead with seven rebounds, two blocks and four
assists. She was 10-of-18 (.556) from the floor and a perfect 4-for-4
from the free throw line. Oram contributed 22 of her 24 points in the
second half to hand Oberlin the come-from-behind win. She became the
fifth player in Yeowomen history to reach the 1,000-point plateau
(1,018).

Once again, congratulations! 

So far this season, you've had to reach the 1000-point milestone to be named Player of the Week, and in the case of Kristen Sheffield, even that wasn't good enough.  That's a tough sorority to break into!  :D

David Collinge

This week's conference player of the week is junior guard Hilary Gowins.  Ms. Gowins poured in 38 points in two games, including 9/16 shooting from the arc, as Kenyon split games with Muskingum and Allegheny.  Congratulations! Link

David Collinge

Congratulations to Katie Kestler of Allegheny, the NCAC Player of the Week for the week ending 12/10.  She scored 23 in a win over Westminster, then contributed 13 points and 8 rebounds as the Gators completed a bi-gender sweep of Ohio Wesleyan.  Allegheny is in an early first-place tie for the conference lead with pre-season co-favorites Denison and Wittenberg (each 2-0). 

It was a good week to be a Gator hoopster; not only did both teams beat OWU, but both provided the NCAC Player of the Week (Ryan Hollihan for the men).

Witt4ever

Good win tonight by the Tigers, defeating previous unbeaten #12 Wilmington
77-68. Wilmington goes to 8-1, while the Tigers are 5-4.

The Tigers led 38-30 at the half but trailed by 3 with 15:00 to go.
Tigers finally were able to keep their turnovers down, compared with Wilmington committing 25.

4 Tigers were in double figures:
Rachel Clark-Haggy led with 17
Kristin Donawerth with 15
Katie Gregorevich and Gina Carney with 12

Kathy Hittle grabbed 10 rebounds with her 9pts.

http://www4.wittenberg.edu/news/athletics/wbasketball/statistics/06-07statistics/witw1220.htm

coachscore

Witt has a nice win over #12 ranked Wilmington last week..Now prepares for a possible BW matchup on Saturday in the finals of their holiday tourney....