WBB: USA South Conference

Started by Mike Stanley, March 09, 2004, 07:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PrideSportBBallGuy

Hey just joined up here.  Well GO Pride!!!! Anyway so the preseason poll came out, and tell ya'll the truth i see some problems with it.

2005 USA South Women's Basketball Coaches Poll
Rank, Institution (1st place Votes), Pts.
1. Greensboro (3) 40
2. Christopher Newport (1) 39
3. Peace (2) 36
4. Methodist (1) 31
5. Shenandoah (1) 28
6. Averett 22
7. Ferrum 16
8. N.C. Wesleyan 11

I think that the top 3 are right, but 4-7 can be in any order.  Ferrum is underrated. yeah they lost Toland but they have just about everybody else.  Methodist is a bit overrated.  They are a good team, but there really isn't any super-stars, but they won't finish anywhere below 6.

I made my pre-season USASC First Team Predictions

Tia Saunders-Peace
Sirlena Moore-GC
Candace Bryant-CNU
Aline Alzine-FC
Staci Humprey-GC

Player of the Year-Tia Saunders
Anybody disagree?

2122rspc

I don't see how Greensboro will be #1...they lost a lot of their offense. 

As far as Tia Saunders, I definitely see her being POY...she's the most dominant player in the league.

PrideSportBBallGuy

True Greensboro did lose a lot of there offense, but they did get Staci Humprey...look at her stats from last year she played with the team early on.  GC...I think the offense will be there, the coach is a good coach...don't be surprised if one of the Fr step up.  the coach has one coach of the year 2 out of 3 years he was there.  No expected them to do as well has he did his first year there.

2122rspc

Agreed, no one expected him to do that well.  But, would he have done that well if all of those transfers hadn't come in a Christmas of that year??? 

Will Staci Humphrey make it through a season? ...first NC Wesleyan then GC...she's yet to prove that she can make it through a season.

insideoutside

Speculation about who's going to do what generates interesting conversation.  However...GC remains the team to beat in the conference !

bbald eagle

narch

Quote from: insideoutside on October 31, 2005, 07:24:27 PM
Speculation about who's going to do what generates interesting conversation.  However...GC remains the team to beat in the conference !
especially with all those returners, right  ;)...any comment on enoch and co. not being on the roster since it was you who said i was wrong?

narch

i think the monarchs could be better than predicted - they've installed a new offensive system to better suite the players and from what i'm hearing, it's looking pretty nice - time will tell, but i think that mc could really make some noise again this year...they did play some pretty good ball toward the end of the season with a very young team last year...who knows

narch

it looks as though "the system" has gained another convert, as the ehc women beat mc 114-94 last night, in regulation - ehc took 45 threes in that game - i wonder if the monarch coaching staff was ready for ehc to play that way, as it doesn't appear that the wasps were running "the system" last year  ???

insideoutside

Thought I'd wait until GC got a few games under their belts before posting again...well I'm back!  Congratulations USA SOUTH CHAMPS on your 'W' over E&H last night!!!

narch

insideoutside - nice win for gc last night - looks like the pride women are at least 25-30 point favorites against the monarch ladies based on comparative results :)

any word on the roster changes that we discussed in august...what happened to enoch and the others?  will there be some additions at mid-term (ie: anybody who played last year who will be back 2nd semester)?

2122rspc

I have a feeling Coach Tuggle will manage some roster additions over the break.  Every year he's been there he's found some people to add from somewhere.  Will Enoch be back or will Christina Daniels make another second semester appearance?  Will Staci Humphrey make it through a season or will she make a second semester disappearance again?  However, I do see Alison Blackmon coming on a little stronger soon.  She has a great shot and it will start falling for her I'm sure! 

Methodist looks to be much stronger than last year and looks to have a lot of offensive fire power.  They also seemed to control Meredith's Nicole Hall pretty well  last night considering she's been averaging well over 20 points per game and she only scored 14 last night.  Coach Jarman always manages to get the best out of her talent.

Meredith is not the same since Coach Hatchell left.  It's too bad that he's not still there to keep Meredith as the same dominant team that they were year in year out under his direction.

Peace...they have been fairly quiet so far in their 3 and 0 start.  They have beaten consistently strong teams (as of recent years) in Hood and Chowan college.  They have the best player in the league in Tia Saunders and one of the best coaches in Coach Johnson.

wow, isn't college basketball the best?

Hampton U SID

#1HOOPSFAN

I would like to hear some talk about the League.  We need more talk. There has been some good play.  Let's hear what people think about what is going to happen once league play starts.

2122rspc

Quote from: 2122rspc on December 01, 2005, 01:52:52 PM
I have a feeling Coach Tuggle will manage some roster additions over the break.  Every year he's been there he's found some people to add from somewhere.  Will Enoch be back or will Christina Daniels make another second semester appearance?  Will Staci Humphrey make it through a season or will she make a second semester disappearance again?  However, I do see Alison Blackmon coming on a little stronger soon.  She has a great shot and it will start falling for her I'm sure! 

Methodist looks to be much stronger than last year and looks to have a lot of offensive fire power.  They also seemed to control Meredith's Nicole Hall pretty well  last night considering she's been averaging well over 20 points per game and she only scored 14 last night.  Coach Jarman always manages to get the best out of her talent.

Meredith is not the same since Coach Hatchell left.  It's too bad that he's not still there to keep Meredith as the same dominant team that they were year in year out under his direction.

Peace...they have been fairly quiet so far in their 3 and 0 start.  They have beaten consistently strong teams (as of recent years) in Hood and Chowan college.  They have the best player in the league in Tia Saunders and one of the best coaches in Coach Johnson.

wow, isn't college basketball the best?

i started some talk...someone needs to respond...