Women's OAC 2013

Started by woacfan, June 26, 2013, 07:40:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrusaderNation

Quick Thoughts......

MU is more dangerous than Otterbein but the Otterbein field and confidence will probably win out.  Shannon Evans is probably the most dangerous player in the conference, but, her case can not keep pace.  Otterbein 1-0 prediction

BW may be physical, but, you can't hit what you can't catch.  On the turf at ONU I think the Polar Bears will turn their recent slide around.  Again, ONU has the more dangerous players but in this one I think the better players will win.  ONU 2-0 prediction.

Either way bot JCU and Cap will have tough contests on Thursday because playing any team a second time in a season and coming out with a win is a tough task.  Only time will tell!

woacfan

Well CN, you and I were summoning our psychic powers. You correctly called the Otterbein victory over Mount Union, 1 to 0.  I correctly picked ONU over BW on PKs. So my Blue Streaks will have a rematch of last year's OAC Championship game while the Crusaders get a replay of last Saturday's matchup. 

I'm done with the predictions. Best wishes to all!
"We talk about it for 20 minutes and then we decide I was right" - Brian Clough

CrusaderNation

Just some interesting tidbits as the semi-final games take place today.

1)  Did you know the four teams in the semi-finals had the toughest schedules this year in the OAC?  Capital was ranked #40, ONU was ranked #45, Otterbein was ranked #48 and JCU was ranked #62.  Not sure if there is a correlation, but, maybe the tough schedule prepared them for conference success?

2)  Did you know this is the same semi-final bracket as in 2011, however it is reversed.  This time around the teams on the road in 2011 are at home today with ONU at JCU and OTT at CAP!  We know how that one ended up and hopefully CAP can do their part to repeat!

This has no bearing on the results for today, but, thought it was an interesting piece of useless knowledge!

woacfan

JCU makes it through in the second overtime. I felt sorry for both teams as they played through parts of the game in an ice storm.  ONU showed a lot off class tonight. They played hard and clean. Their coach seems to be a first rate guy. They can be proud of the way they conducted themselves tonight and in my experiences with them.

JCU moved the ball too patiently at times. However, it was a good effort and the better team won.

How close was the match with Otterbein?  My sense from the stats is that the Crusaders scored their early goal and then felt okay to defend. Is that accurate?

Looks like a 2011 rematch is set up for Sunday at 2!!!!!!

CrusaderNation

The Crusaders did score early and then actually scored again before half but on the way into the net (after it beat the GK) the ball touched an off sides player so they waived the goal off.  Otterbein never really made any sort of threat in the first half.

In the second half they came out very hard and the Crusaders wilted a bit.  They have been struggling with the stomach flu all week and two important starters played very few minutes.  So, the defending was pretty good but the level of play dropped.

Should be an interesting game on Sunday.  Both teams have changed since the first meeting, so, we will see how it plays out.

woacfan

I think your earlier point about strength of schedule is well taken. Both of these teams have had challenges to overcome this year which makes the championship game gratifying regardless of the outcome. 

Hopefully, the weather cooperates. No more ice storms!

Looking forward to a fun contest.

CrusaderNation

Congratulations to the Blue Streaks and Coach Marich... they were worthy opponents and a class team.  Following their rough start to the season their comeback to be OAC co-regular season champions was  terrific and they should be proud of a great season!

woacfan

Congratulations to Capital on the win. Those two First half goals were amazing!  The Streaks seemed to right the ship in the second half, but playing catch up cost them two more.  Hope the Crusaders get a good draw and run deep in the tourney.

This is my swan song. My Blue Streak finished her career tonight! Great, great memories.  It is so funny looking back, she could have gone D1, but ended up at a great school and had a better college sports experience than any of her friends and club teammates. Many of them ride the pine at the D1 level and mine got to participate in three conference championships. It's been a great run and I hope she cherishes the great memories she has made and the friendships she has. Go Blue Streaks!!!!!

woacfan

Capital v. Chicago --that should be a great match up. 

I couldn't find the venue....however, this is where that rigorous schedule might pay its benefits.

CrusaderNation

It is going to be a war at Wisconsin-Whitewater! 

The grass field will play to Chicago's favor, and they are going to be more physical than the Crusaders, but if Capital can keep the ball and get them to chase as often as they did in the OAC final then that would be an equalizer.  Tough bracket for sure.  Not like 2011 when Wheaton was looming for whoever won the first game, but, four very good teams make it a difficult draw.

On a side note I am glad to hear that your daughter had such a great experience at JCU.  Wonderful thing to get the opportunity to play for championships... only a few get to do it.  Hope she carries that with her forever.

woacfan

The OAC Awards were just announced!
Congratulations to the recipients!!!!

http://www.oac.org/sports/wsoc/WS_AOAC/W_Soc_All-OAC_2013.pdf

If the PDF file doesn't appear when you open the page, click on "View full page" and it should open on a new page.

woacfan

Congrats to Capital on their win versus Chicago. Can't wait to hear the details CN! Sounds like there were some heroics!

woacfan

Congratulations Capital. 1-0 winner over Wisconsin-Whitewater. Looks like the Crusaders well be in a rematch against Thomas More, who they beat earlier this year. Crusaders making the OAC proud!

CrusaderNation

Thanks WOAC!  Very challenging weekend with the weather conditions and a really difficult bracket!  We were fortunate to score in the first half and then play very well organized defending for the second half when we were against the 30 mph wind!  We keep finding ways to win and keep finding ways to work as a team to make history.  Hopefully the good things will continue to come to us next weekend in St. Louis!

woacfan

Congrats CN....Capital is in the quarterfinals! Way to represent the OAC and your excellent soccer program. Taking on the number one school will be a challenge, but the Crusaders have been resilient. It looks to be another exciting game!