FB: North Coast Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aueagle

Dare I say, "Parity", in the NCAC...

CollegeGolf18

I am disgusted by the number of blocked kicks Wabash allows. There is absolutely NO REASON the coaching staff can't fix this at this point in the year.
Former Collegiate Golfer
Current Sports Nut

sigma one

I know this: I know less now about football than at any point in my life.  When the Wabash offensive coordinator left after last season, I thought things would change.  They have not.  No emotion.  Predictable.  Poor special teams.  Sluggish offense.  Give credit to both the OWU and Wabash defenses.  The OWU offense looked pathetic, so did the Wabash offense.  The performance today shows Wabash football taking another step backward. 
     One mark of a good football team is how the special teams operate.  All year (actually going back to last year), the Wabash ST have been deeply flawed.  It starts at the top.
     Only one good thing:  the LGs are 5-1 and still hold their fate in their slippery hands.

Li'l Giant

17 points over two games is just awful. Wabash should just go for it on 4th down because it can't be any worse than punting.

There is nothing I've seen in the last two weeks that leads me to believe that Wabash can beat Witt  Or Depauw if we're being real.
"I believe in God and I believe I'm gonna go to Heaven, but if something goes wrong and I end up in Hell, I know it's gonna be me and a bunch of D3 officials."---Erik Raeburn

Quote from: sigma one on October 11, 2015, 10:46:46 AMI don't drink with the enemy, and I don't drink lattes at all, with anyone.

Dr. Acula

Quote from: sigma one on October 13, 2018, 03:38:43 PM
I know this: I know less now about football than at any point in my life.  When the Wabash offensive coordinator left after last season, I thought things would change.  They have not.  No emotion.  Predictable.  Poor special teams.  Sluggish offense.  Give credit to both the OWU and Wabash defenses.  The OWU offense looked pathetic, so did the Wabash offense.  The performance today shows Wabash football taking another step backward. 
     One mark of a good football team is how the special teams operate.  All year (actually going back to last year), the Wabash ST have been deeply flawed.  It starts at the top.
     Only one good thing:  the LGs are 5-1 and still hold their fate in their slippery hands.

How much of a difference would Ike James make in 2018?  I know the backups are good, but James is a stud.  He has the ability to make up for weaknesses elsewhere.  I thought some of you guys said basically that last year.  That James carries the offense in spite of play calling and other issues. 

sigma one

Ike James would make a major difference.  Avant and Hoover are good backs, but James is a cut above.  His presence would not, however, make up for Wabash's obvious weaknesses on special teams and in the passing game.  We fans are used to 15 years of steady success, reflected both in the season records and in the way Wabash has played football.  No arguing that 5-1 is a fine start, but there's a long way
to go this year against the likes of Witt, All, and DPU.  Oberlin is the other remaining game. 
     All good runs must come to an end (excluding Mt. Union), but it's disappointing to see a lack of emotion, poor special teams effort, mental mistakes, lack of imagination, and poor execution against even marginally good teams.  I'm eternally optimistic and hope that Wabash can win at least 3 of the last 4.  I just don't think their getting the most out of their talent. 

sigma one

For you Wabash football history buffs--and any others who are even mildly interested--the 7-0 Wabash win yesterday was the first time Wabash won by that exact score since the famous "MUD BOWL" victory over DePauw in 1967.  That game was celebrated in a way this year's game is not.  If you tell me you were there at Blackstock Stadium in Greencastle in 1967, I want to talk with you.  I was there with no more than a large handful of fans at the end of the game, which was played in a cold, heavy rain.  And I was still there at the end only because my roommate at the time, Dave Knott (father of Jake Knott, who still holds almost every Wabash passing record) was played QB for the Little Giants. 
     So, at least the win yesterday brings back some good memories from more than 50 years ago.

1837Tigers

Quote from: sigma one on October 14, 2018, 10:38:41 AM
For you Wabash football history buffs--and any others who are even mildly interested--the 7-0 Wabash win yesterday was the first time Wabash won by that exact score since the famous "MUD BOWL" victory over DePauw in 1967.  That game was celebrated in a way this year's game is not.  If you tell me you were there at Blackstock Stadium in Greencastle in 1967, I want to talk with you.  I was there with no more than a large handful of fans at the end of the game, which was played in a cold, heavy rain.  And I was still there at the end only because my roommate at the time, Dave Knott (father of Jake Knott, who still holds almost every Wabash passing record) was played QB for the Little Giants. 
     So, at least the win yesterday brings back some good memories from more than 50 years ago.

Here is the '67 game for those seeking Sunday morning history:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha9GJWJzg7o

Ike James is a stud and his loss is big.  DePauw losing Matt Labus to a second ACL ($#%%#!!) was also critical -- his QB play at the beginning of last season was as sharp as I've seen from our side.  We're both struggling mightily on offense and figuring out the conference right now is damn near impossible.  See you all in 4 weeks!

sigma one

Thanks, 1837Tigers.  Fantastic footage.

Li'l Giant

1837Tigers that is an excellent version of Monon Memories. Great stuff.
"I believe in God and I believe I'm gonna go to Heaven, but if something goes wrong and I end up in Hell, I know it's gonna be me and a bunch of D3 officials."---Erik Raeburn

Quote from: sigma one on October 11, 2015, 10:46:46 AMI don't drink with the enemy, and I don't drink lattes at all, with anyone.

old wabash

Quote from: aueagle on October 13, 2018, 06:09:33 AM
Dare I say, "Parity", in the NCAC...

I wish parity meant all boats in the harbor rising...but it looks like the NCAC is sinking! Only one team getting poll votes is not a good sign for any team in the NCAC!

old wabash

Quote from: CollegeGolf18 on October 13, 2018, 02:01:36 PM
I am disgusted by the number of blocked kicks Wabash allows. There is absolutely NO REASON the coaching staff can't fix this at this point in the year.

I agree...after a couple of blocked kicks in first few games, I said to my grandson "We don't get blocked...we are Wabash, we BLOCK kicks. oh, how times have changed.

sigma one

Parity is probably the right word, but is it because this year the tide is coming in or going out?  Wittenberg is its usual self and keeps producing good teams.  They've been a bust in the playoffs recently though.  Wabash is not what it was for many years.  With Ike James gone, name one player on the Wabash team who really stands out.  It used to be that you could name several on both sides of the ball who were play makers.  And speaking of play makers, DePauw is this year without them as well.   Defensively, they are very good, particularly against the run.  Offensively, they are struggling.  Both Denison and Allegheny can help make the argument that a few teams in the conference are up a level.  Denison has been consistently coming on for several years; they are now playing well, have talent on both sides of the ball.  After a clunker v. Southwestern to open the season, they've shown strength.  Allegheny is better than they have been in half a decade or more, and they are still pretty young.   Wooster is down slightly from last year, but they have been consistently in the middle of the conference for several years and appear likely to remain there.  Ohio Wesleyan has an anemic offense and a competitive defense.  Like Wooster, they seem to be almost always in the middle of the league.  Neither Wooster nor Ohio Wesleyan  has shown recently that they will soon be better than they are now--but one or two good classes could move them up a notch.  Oberlin's roster is just too thin.  They have some really good players, but as usual not enough of them.  Hiram is, well, the Hiram of the last few years:  better than they were three or fours years ago; stalled near the bottom of the conference.  Finally, Kenyon can throw the ball, and does about 60 times a game this year.  But they don't have anything that resembles a defense. 
     This is a short synopsis that indicates that the NCAC is stuck just below the middle of the way DIIIFB ranks conferences.  Wittenberg is reliable.  Wabash, Denison, and DePauw are capable but uninspiring.  Denison seems to be the best of the bunch this year.  Wooster and OWU are about where they usually are vs. the league.  Their getting better would benefit everyone.  Allegheny is rising and probably will continue to do so.  Oberlin, Hiram, and Kenyon remain near the bottom consistently.
     There is the occasional upset, like OWU over Wabash last year and Wooster over DePauw this year.  Denison's big win over Wabash cannot be called an upset, even though it was the first time they have beaten the LGs since Wabash entered the conference in 2000.
     So, parity or closer to it, yes.  I'd argue on the whole that the increased balance comes as a consequence of a squeezing toward the middle, a few teams worse, another few a bit better.   

wally_wabash

Quote from: sigma one on October 16, 2018, 10:51:15 AM
Parity is probably the right word, but is it because this year the tide is coming in or going ou?  Wittenberg is its usual self and keeps producing good teams.  They've been a bust in the playoffs recently though.  Wabash is not what it was for many years.  With Ike James gone, name one player on the Wabash team who really stands out.  It used to be that you could name several on both sides of the ball who were play makers. 

I think Ra'Shawn Jones is a stud that *should* absolutely demand a front and back doubling, however in the last two weeks Jones has 3 catches for 7 yards vs. Denison (I'm ignoring the meaningless 74 yard TD in the last minute there against a cover zero defense) and 3 catches for 9 yards vs. OWU.  After so much early success with Jones down the field, I'm not sure why Wabash is trying so hard to get him into the quick screen game.  And if they want to get him the ball at or behind the LOS, why abandon the jet sweeps with Jones that were working in the first month of the season?  I'm really confused about how they're using Jones.  Maybe they're throwing in a midseason changeup with him and setting things up with Jones for Witt and DePauw, but I'm not sure Wabash is good enough to win without using their best pitch most of the time.  It would be great if Wabash could keep their "A" material in the back pocket for certain games, but they just don't have that margin for error right now. 

On defense I think Heffron and Yeagy have been good.  I really like Jose Franco on the corner.  He plays with a level of swagger and confidence that I wish we saw more of across the board, if I'm being honest.  Franco has given up some plays, but he's also consistently drawing the top target- often in single coverage- and I think he's doing a good job more than he's not.

The special teams are an absolute disaster and Wabash is very clearly missing David Denham who left shortly before the season started.  The circus that ensues every time Wabash gets into a long snap formation is clear and convincing evidence that not having a special teams coordinator is an unacceptable situation going forward.  Not much you can do about it for 2018, but staffing that position has got to be among the first priorities this offseason. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

sigma one

I'm not saying Wabash lacks good players.  Yeagy, Heffron, Franco, Jones--they are all good, as are some others:  Avant,  McAtee come to mind.  Perhaps another offensive lineman.  But I'm thinking of the All-Region, All-American types of  previous  years.  Not going back too far think Akinrabade, Gum, Scola, the brothers Buresh, Austin and Wes Brown, McCullen, Stucker, Kitley, Isaacs, MacDougall, Sobleski, Neymeiyer,  Tutsie, Holmes, Zurek all come easily to mind.  And back a few more years throw in receivers like LaMond, Chamblee, Russell, and others like Frederick, Kennon, Lange, Clegg, and the QBs:  Hudson, Harbaugh,  Huff.
     Wabash had dynamic offenses and defenses more often than not.  I just don't see them executing the way they used to.  Whether it's lack of the major talent of the past or coaches not getting the most out of similar talent now--hard to say.  Maybe a combination of both. 
     With four games remaining, we'll see if Wabash can work its way out of the funk of the last two games.  As has been noted, we will watch to see if special teams improve; they are killing the LGs so far this year.