FB: North Coast Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohiofan1954

That was the best game I have ever seen Denison play. Great game from start to finish.

aueagle

Just saw the score of the LG/Big Red game..
A little surprised, but, Denison has been rebooting
the past few years....LG hiccup last year (OWU), and
yesterday..now, Bash has to win out, and convincingly

deeds

Went to Piper Stadium hoping to see great NCAC action for a 2nd week in a row. It was not to be. Denison dominated on both sides of the ball. I was unimpressed with Wabash OB. He missed several open receivers. His 2 long completions were in "non stress" situations;
the last play of the 1st half and with less than a minute to play against Denison defensive reserves. Wabash did live up to their motto and fight to the end... all their points came in the last couple of minutes of the game.

Li'l Giant

I've been following Wabash football since 1995 and I can't remember a beating that bad that didn't come from a team wearing purple and ranked in the top 5. What a thorough win by Denison.
"I believe in God and I believe I'm gonna go to Heaven, but if something goes wrong and I end up in Hell, I know it's gonna be me and a bunch of D3 officials."---Erik Raeburn

Quote from: sigma one on October 11, 2015, 10:46:46 AMI don't drink with the enemy, and I don't drink lattes at all, with anyone.

sigma one

Yesterday was the biggest margin of loss for Wabash (24 points) in the regular season since 2001 when Wheaton beat them 58-33 (25 points).  They've never lost to Wittenberg in the NCAC by more than 17 points (35-17 in 2013).
     Several observations:  Denison definitely came ready to play.  They controlled the ball for 40+ minutes, reversing the tread of the LGs to dominate time of possession.  Wabash appeared flat to me, not generating any emotion.  The last few years, even when they have been in big games, the emotional edge appears not to be there.  Could be the coaches want them more business-like, but for years Wabash really came into games obviously fired up.  Denison won the psychological as well as the physical battles.  They were highly efficient on both sides of the ball.
     Reid was sub-par for Wabash, missing open receivers several times.  Wabash turned the ball over 4 times, a rarity for them.  On one, Reid was under center, and he either dropped the snap or the center didn't get him the ball. 
     The score, bad as it is, doesn't reflect  Denison's dominance.  Both Wabash scores came in the waning minutes.
     I am curious about one thing, and so tell me if I am overly sensitive.  With under 4 minutes remaining, Dension was still throwing passes into the end zone.  They were up 34-0 at the time.  Now 34 isn't 44 or 54 or more, but I though this a bit much.  My thinking is that Gebele was close to an all-time record and maybe the Denison coaches wanted him to get it at home and in this memorable game.  After so many defeats at the hands of Wabash maybe they just thought they wanted the margin to be as large as possible.  It's likely that throwing and not completing those passes kept Denison from completing a shut out.  They gave the ball back and Wabash broke a few runs to get a field goal.  Then got the ball again and completed a long TD pass.   
     I'm not complaining (exactly), just observing that having Gebele in late in the game throwing they were exposing him to a tired but probably emotionally revengeful Wabash defense. 
     Wabash is on the road again next week vs. Ohio Wesleyan, who beat them last year in Crawfordsville.  Now we will see how they recover.  They are better than they showed against Denison, I hope.  I  thought they might lose yesterday, but not by so much.  The coming week will tell how resilient the LGs are:  how well coached and how talented.   

smedindy

Denison probably played their most complete game on both sides of the ball against Wabash Saturday.

The shame is that they played a Southwestern team that played their most complete game in a long time to begin the year.

wally_wabash

I can't disagree with anything sigma one has posted here about Wabash's game on Saturday.  I definitely sensed that they were not really into the game and lethargic from the start.  I said earlier in the season that I think Reid has to be a high completion percentage guy for Wabash to be successful, particularly in big games.  I think 65% was my target for him.  He was 11-29 on Saturday and Wabash isn't beating any team in the conference let alone any team left on the schedule if the QB is completing 38%.  Wabash just doesn't have that margin for (massive) error at the moment. 

Echoing LG, I don't recall a single game where Wabash was completely dictated to by an opponent that wasn't a national semifinal level team.   

I do think Wabash has been flirting with this kind of result for a couple of years.  Wabash has squeaked by some teams that shouldn't require squeaking by (Albion, Hiram, Wooster, Allegheny, OWU- didn't quite squeak by that one!) on days when Wabash wasn't at their best.  I think it was inevitable that Wabash was going to have one of those days against a good team and get squashed.  Now it's happened, and now we have to see how the team picks themselves up after getting embarrassed a bit.  I think it's ok for the team's pride to be challenged this week and for the rest of the season after that game.  I think they'll respond starting with a solid game at Selby on Saturday. 

Quote from: sigma one on October 07, 2018, 06:30:27 PM
     I am curious about one thing, and so tell me if I am overly sensitive.  With under 4 minutes remaining, Dension was still throwing passes into the end zone.  They were up 34-0 at the time.  Now 34 isn't 44 or 54 or more, but I though this a bit much.  My thinking is that Gebele was close to an all-time record and maybe the Denison coaches wanted him to get it at home and in this memorable game.  After so many defeats at the hands of Wabash maybe they just thought they wanted the margin to be as large as possible.  It's likely that throwing and not completing those passes kept Denison from completing a shut out.  They gave the ball back and Wabash broke a few runs to get a field goal.  Then got the ball again and completed a long TD pass.   
     I'm not complaining (exactly), just observing that having Gebele in late in the game throwing they were exposing him to a tired but probably emotionally revengeful Wabash defense.

Gebele was in fact on the cusp of setting Denison's all time TD pass record at that point in the game.  Earlier in the game he had become Denison's all time passing yardage leader.  Coach Hatem is a class guy, Gebele is their GOAT so I didn't have a problem with them working to get him that record at home (their next game is at DePauw so this was the best chance for him to do it in front of his own crowd).  Certainly, Coach Hatem had to weigh the risk of having Gebele in there beyond the point he needed to be to win the game against having that great moment, but I didn't see this as Denison rubbing Wabash's nose in it as much as Denison taking the opportunity to celebrate their best player on what was an absolutely perfect day for them. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

cave2bens

Agree fully regarding Gebele in the 4th stanza.  Home crowd, all-time yards and tds' through the air, and against a stalwart defensive unit (which now remains to be seen as season progresses).  Had Denison played an entire game like this last week against Witt, there wouldn't have been a need for any overtime, Period.  The Big Red has become a solid contender in the NCAC and were downright impressive.  Kudos to Coach Hatem and his charges.

As to Wabash, it seemed players were just going through the motions with no enthusiasm or emotion.  Several times, both receivers and QB had near misses and just walked back to the line with "devil may care," ho-hum attitudes with one notable exception in Jones - no quit on either receptions or kick returns.  Thomas didn't even crack a stat sheet other than participation page.  It was good to see Penola back lugging the ball a few times and hope that continues beyond the predictable third and short, vanilla calls.  LGs best get their daubers up and heads on straight as there are five left and .500 isn't beyond the pale if last Saturday's performance becomes a norm rather than hiccough.
"Forever more as in days of yore Their deeds be noble and grand"

old wabash

Does anybody remember the last time Wabash received NO votes in the d3 poll? especially since joining NCAC?  :( :o

smedindy

BashDad

BashDad

At the very very very very very very (very very) least, can someone please spend 15 minutes and remove the years-old ridiculousness that is our head football coach hollering "Wabash Always Fight" in the sizzle intro of his weekly propaganda video?  It's too much to bear.

And give Brent Harris a raise while you're at it.

83 Little Giant

Below is the link to Wabash's game notes for tomorrow's game with Ohio Wesleyan in Delaware, OH.  Last week's game was a woeful display of football on Wabash's behalf.  Here's hoping that pack their "A" game for this weekend's trip.

https://sports.wabash.edu/documents/2018/10/11//2018WabashFootballGamenotesVsOWU.pdf

old wabash

Quote from: smedindy on October 11, 2018, 11:25:40 PM
Last year's final poll.

thanks, smed indy!! halfway through this season and we are are where we finished last year!! :'(
I hope the team is NOT as frustrated and disappointed as I am!
Did I (as a fan since 1972) just get spoiled?

smedindy

Quote from: old wabash on October 12, 2018, 07:05:12 PM
Quote from: smedindy on October 11, 2018, 11:25:40 PM
Last year's final poll.

thanks, smed indy!! halfway through this season and we are are where we finished last year!! :'(
I hope the team is NOT as frustrated and disappointed as I am!
Did I (as a fan since 1972) just get spoiled?

Denison is better. The whole NCAC is better, in fact. But losing like that to any team before December isn't something that should be just brushed off. It's definitely a shock to the system.