Pool B

Started by Ralph Turner, October 01, 2005, 02:12:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Boerger

2015 for WashU and UC to the SAA, Ralph - you are correct.

K-Mack

They are immediately eligible (see Salisbury winning Empire 8, for example).

That's what made the SAA move so baffling in the context of football playoffs alone (obvi it was more complex than that). The SCAC had an AQ underneath its banner and couldn't get enough affiliates, even if the UAA were willing (short core members).

The SAA split cost those 7 teams a playoff bid this year. Likely would have shaken up the whole field, with LC going to the SAA/SCAC champ in round 1, BSU not getting in and someone else having to fly to UMHB (CLU maybe?).
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

smedindy

I think the SAA presidents were looking at the greater good for their schools rather than an "A" football bid. Alas...

Pat Coleman

Quote from: ExTartanPlayer on November 19, 2012, 06:41:49 PM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on November 19, 2012, 05:47:21 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 19, 2012, 04:47:07 PM
I believe the SAA would qualify for an AQ in 2014, pulling seven teams out of Pool B and potentially making it a one-bid pool.

My point is that in 2013, the MASCAC will add seven schools to Pool B but might not be a threat to take a bid. Also, in 2014 Case and Carnegie Mellon join the PAC as affiliate members. So Pool B in 2014 could be the MASCAC, Wesley, Macalester, Trinity/Texas Lutheran/Austin College/Southwestern, Wash U/Chicago. It's going to take about 18 or 19 schools to get two Pool B slots in the playoffs and 2014 is going to be short, I think.

Huntingdon joins the USA South next year.

Ralph may remember moves I'm blanking on.

Thanks, Pat - I knew I could count on you (and/or Ralph) to come through!

One further question - if a school joins an existing AQ conference are they immediately eligible for the AQ (conference rules permitting), or is there an NCAA waiting period?

I don't think there's an NCAA waiting period, but I do think most conferences have a year or two wait, as you alluded to.

If you join an existing AQ conference, you are eligible right away by NCAA standards. The conference may have a different standard but the only time I have seen that in football is what the SCIAC did to Chapman last year.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

K-Mack

Quote from: smedindy on November 19, 2012, 08:27:26 PM
I think the SAA presidents were looking at the greater good for their schools rather than an "A" football bid. Alas...

As I acknowledged in the original post.
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

smedindy

Quote from: K-Mack on November 19, 2012, 08:39:09 PM

As I acknowledged in the original post.

Of course!

ExTartanPlayer

There's a greater good for schools besides access to a Pool A bid?
I was small but made up for it by being slow...

http://athletics.cmu.edu/sports/fball/2011-12/releases/20120629a4jaxa

smedindy

Quote from: ExTartanPlayer on November 20, 2012, 10:32:15 AM

Well, at least on the D3 level. With the recent issues with Maryland and Rutgers, I don't think D-1A presidents can see the forest for the green.

hazzben

Quote from: smedindy on November 20, 2012, 10:51:39 AM
Quote from: ExTartanPlayer on November 20, 2012, 10:32:15 AM

Well, at least on the D3 level. With the recent issues with Maryland and Rutgers, I don't think D-1A presidents can see the forest for the green.

Eh, I get that this was a money grab. And as a B1G guy, I'm not sure how well MD and Rutgers fit. But for MD, who recently cut 7 teams due to budget shortages, being concerned about money has real implications for its student athletes. Most schools aren't like tOSU, Michigan, Texas, etc. Basically printing money off the proceeds they get through football. The B1G added them as a pure money grab. Absolutely agree with that. But for MD and Rutgers, these aren't two really football rich schools out to get even richer. They were two schools with athletic budgets operating in the red for many years. They saw a chance for stability and money. I can't fault them for that, even if I'm not sure I want them in my conference.

Sorry to get us sidetracked...  :o

K-Mack

That all makes sense.

The Big Ten is money-grabbing the D.C. and NYC TV markets too, let's keep it real here. That network is going to be in a lot more homes, and it's amazing that other conferences haven't successfully emulated the formula.
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

Ralph Turner

Quote from: K-Mack on November 26, 2012, 05:49:06 PM
That all makes sense.

The Big Ten is money-grabbing the D.C. and NYC TV markets too, let's keep it real here. That network is going to be in a lot more homes, and it's amazing that other conferences haven't successfully emulated the formula.
SMU in the Big East?  DFW market for that confernece
Missouri and Texas A&M in the SEC?  More markets for the SEC, plus recruiting in-roads into Texas!

Respectfully, I think that the only major conference that could have pulled that off was the Big Ten.

Do the Rutgers fans really want to see another game between Arkansas and/or Mississippi State?

Back to Pool B.  Wesley is still alive!

Ralph Turner

http://www.d3football.com/notables/2013/04/macalester-to-join-midwest-conference

Macalester joins the MWC as a football affiliate in 2014.

Three fewer Pool B schools (with CRWU and C-M going to the Pres AC)  in 2014.

I will update Pool B in 2014 later.

As I see it now (and corrections will be greatly appreciated!!!)
UAA         (2)  -- Wash U, Chicago.  (going to the SAA in 2015)
SCAC       (4)  -- Trinity, Texas Lutheran, Austin College, Southwestern
Indep        (1)  -- Wesley
MASCAC   (7)   -- 

Will CNU still affiliate with the USA South to keep access to a Pool A bid?

:-[   :D  Thanks for the Correction, FC!  +1!

FCGrizzliesGrad

Quote from: Ralph Turner on April 24, 2013, 08:25:51 PM
Macalester joins the NWC as a football affiliate in 2014.
I think you meant MWC not NWC... that'd be a lot of long flights out to Washington/Oregon
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

Gray Fox

Will that help schools like Austin complete a schedule where they don't have to double up on teams?
The MIAC now needs games.
Fierce When Roused

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Gray Fox on April 29, 2013, 05:48:37 PM
Will that help schools like Austin complete a schedule where they don't have to double up on teams?
The MIAC now needs games.

It doesn't really change MIAC schedules. Macalester has played two or three MIAC schools a year since they left the MIAC for football a decade ago and it looks like they could continue to play two (say, rival Carleton and area beatable opponent Hamline). That really only leaves one MIAC school with one game to fill.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.