MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory Sager

Quote from: John Gleich on July 14, 2020, 01:50:04 AM
Quote from: jamtod on July 13, 2020, 10:00:57 PM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on July 13, 2020, 06:02:16 PM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on July 13, 2020, 04:51:20 PM
This is a good day for the league, though, because a good guy got the job that he earned and deserves.

Congrats to you as well, Steve. And, just as was the case with your old man, I wish you all the luck in the world ... 363 days a year. ;)

What if NPU meets him in the conference tourney?  and in the post-season?  Or are you willing to forfeit the regular season games as long as you win when it REALLY counts? ;D

The college basketball gods will ensure that you can't meet a rival 4x in a year, as we saw with Tommie-Johnnie 4.0 this year. Although I'm certain we would have been victorious

It's happened at least twice to my knowledge... Both times in 2003-04, ironically. UWSP played UW Oshkosh twice in the regular season, once in the conference tournament, and once in Vegas at a Christmas tournament.
That same year, Williams and Amherst played once in the NESCAC, once in the "Little Three" matchup, once in the NESCAC tournament, and in Salem in the National Semi's.

In fact, it's probably on the likely(ish) end for teams that meet in the NCAA tournament from the same conference.
Ironically, Wheaton and Augie only met three times in 2018-19, as North Central prevented the meeting by dispatching the Thunder in the second round of the CCIW tournament, before they could meet the hosts for a (then third, to be followed by fourth)... Time.

It's happened more often than that. F'rinstance, I can remember back in '85, when Wittenberg was still in the OAC, Wittenberg and Otterbein faced each other four times -- twice in league play, then again in the OAC tourney championship, and a fourth time in the D3 tourney.

Calvin and Hope have met each other four times in a season on numerous occasions, particularly in the days when they were playing in their annual local tourney with Cornerstone and Aquinas before it went from championship format to classic format. In fact, they played each other five times in at least one campaign, 2006-07 -- once in the Grand Rapids tourney, twice in the MIAA, once again in the MIAA tourney championship game, and a fifth time in the second round of the D3 tourney. That fifth game was the first (and, thus far, only) Hope vs. Calvin game that I've been able to see live, since it was played in Thornton Gym at Aurora, where the Dutch and the Knights shared a pod with Chicago and the host Spartans. A whole bunch of us CCIW types sat in a section we dubbed "Switzerland" in between the Hope and Calvin sections. Funny thing is, several of the fans that were there from both sides of the Rivalry (sac being one of them) told me that they thought it was a little too much to be playing the other team for a fifth time. I guess that even contests against your archrival can reach a certain emotional saturation point.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

hickory_cornhusker

This is a good day for the league, though, because a good guy got the job that he earned and deserves.

Congrats to you as well, Steve. And, just as was the case with your old man, I wish you all the luck in the world ... 363 days a year. ;)

What if NPU meets him in the conference tourney?  and in the post-season?  Or are you willing to forfeit the regular season games as long as you win when it REALLY counts? ;D

The college basketball gods will ensure that you can't meet a rival 4x in a year, as we saw with Tommie-Johnnie 4.0 this year. Although I'm certain we would have been victorious

It's happened at least twice to my knowledge... Both times in 2003-04, ironically. UWSP played UW Oshkosh twice in the regular season, once in the conference tournament, and once in Vegas at a Christmas tournament.
That same year, Williams and Amherst played once in the NESCAC, once in the "Little Three" matchup, once in the NESCAC tournament, and in Salem in the National Semi's.

In fact, it's probably on the likely(ish) end for teams that meet in the NCAA tournament from the same conference.
Ironically, Wheaton and Augie only met three times in 2018-19, as North Central prevented the meeting by dispatching the Thunder in the second round of the CCIW tournament, before they could meet the hosts for a (then third, to be followed by fourth)... Time.

In 2006-07 Calvin and Hope faced each other 5 times. Hope won in an early season tourney, they split the regular season, Calvin won the conference tournament final and Hope won the NCAA 2nd Round game.

markerickson

I remember walking into the gym on game day with full confidence my Vikings would win every game though Wesleyan presented the greatest challenge.  I do not believe I missed a home game in four years except for an epic playoff game in 1985 during spring break when I was down in Florida with Paul Johnson, Rob Haley, Hairy Mary, Scary Mary, and others.  In this connection, I remember being in a bar when a fledgling cable channel called ESPN scrolled at the bottom of the screen that North Park had advanced to the Final Four.  That same day in the same bar Haley, PJ, me, and ? easily beat foursomes from Penn State and several other schools in a beer chugging contest.

I have pictures of Bosko's last game (2020) in the gym at Foster and Kedzie. Several pictures are classic as I sat behind the Carthage bench and captured Bosko on the court with the five championship banners in the background!
Once a metalhead, always a metalhead.  Matthew 5:13.

Greenguy

Sorry to see two of the great CCIW coaches of my generation leave.  Damn it's tough to get old.

sac

Quote from: Gregory Sager on July 14, 2020, 09:59:47 AM

It's happened more often than that. F'rinstance, I can remember back in '85, when Wittenberg was still in the OAC, Wittenberg and Otterbein faced each other four times -- twice in league play, then again in the OAC tourney championship, and a fourth time in the D3 tourney.

Calvin and Hope have met each other four times in a season on numerous occasions, particularly in the days when they were playing in their annual local tourney with Cornerstone and Aquinas before it went from championship format to classic format. In fact, they played each other five times in at least one campaign, 2006-07 -- once in the Grand Rapids tourney, twice in the MIAA, once again in the MIAA tourney championship game, and a fifth time in the second round of the D3 tourney. That fifth game was the first (and, thus far, only) Hope vs. Calvin game that I've been able to see live, since it was played in Thornton Gym at Aurora, where the Dutch and the Knights shared a pod with Chicago and the host Spartans. A whole bunch of us CCIW types sat in a section we dubbed "Switzerland" in between the Hope and Calvin sections. Funny thing is, several of the fans that were there from both sides of the Rivalry (sac being one of them) told me that they thought it was a little too much to be playing the other team for a fifth time. I guess that even contests against your archrival can reach a certain emotional saturation point.

5 times was too much.   Also a really odd thing about 2007 was neither team was able to win a home game against the other.

Including the previous season, Hope-Calvin met 9 times in a 14 month period.   In a 40 game stretch, nearly 1/4th of Hope's games were against Calvin.  Those two years were book-ended by the more common 3 times in one season match-ups in 05 and 08.  15 meetings in 4 years.  They did the 4 times thing again in 2010.

Gotberg

Since it's summer and less sports going on, interesting article in the Tribune today:  https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-illinois-wesleyan-university-liberal-arts-program-cuts-20200716-yo337lghgrdmnpdl4xhfarzqe4-story.html

I wouldn't be surprised if other CCIW schools have to consider similar options - perhaps this will be the end of Augustana's medical school?
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best

Titan Q

Quote from: Gotberg on July 16, 2020, 12:57:44 PM
Since it's summer and less sports going on, interesting article in the Tribune today:  https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-illinois-wesleyan-university-liberal-arts-program-cuts-20200716-yo337lghgrdmnpdl4xhfarzqe4-story.html

I wouldn't be surprised if other CCIW schools have to consider similar options - perhaps this will be the end of Augustana's medical school?
The study has been going on at IWU for over a year.  I'm interested to see where it finally lands.

Here is the e-mail IWU's President sent to alums 7/1...

TO:        Faculty, Staff, Students, and Alumni
RE:         Illinois Wesleyan, Liberal Arts, and the Future
DATE:    July 1, 2020

I'm writing to you today, because, as the year-long evaluation of our academic program nears a close, I'm hearing a number of concerns about the future of the liberal arts in Illinois Wesleyan's curriculum. These are largely based on incomplete or mistaken information about our commitment to the liberal arts and the review process. My purpose in writing is to clarify the process that has taken place and to dispel unfounded fears that Illinois Wesleyan, as a result of self-study, would diverge from the liberal arts heritage which is and will remain our core.

First, a personal word. As some of you know, I have been an advocate for the liberal arts, on a national level, for decades. An internet search will quickly bring up my writings, speeches, and actions on behalf of liberal arts education. Here, for example is an essay/ booklet I wrote, The Liberal Arts in Action. The last thing I would want to do is undermine the liberal arts at an institution I lead. 

Liberal arts values, across cultures and millennia, call us to self-examination, both as individuals and as institutions. The program evaluation process this year is an example of such examination. The objective is to ensure that Illinois Wesleyan continues to provide the students of today and tomorrow the best liberal arts education we possibly can. Thus, our study began with a survey of all students: 325 students provided 120 pages of responses to questions about their majors and minors, why they chose Wesleyan, and what courses of study they would like to see here.

The student responses were very clear. In addition to their love for the people of the IWU community, students value our university most for three things: the rigorous liberal arts core, top notch pre-professional programs, and successful athletics. This summer, students were asked to articulate why they were "all in for Wesleyan." Three hundred responded; their responses reflected exactly the same three factors. To serve our students best, we need to recognize the importance of each of these aspects of our university and, ideally, the ways in which they weave together to form the fabric of our students' lives here.

It's important to understand the many ways in which faculty members have been involved in the evaluation. First, the Program Evaluation Task Force (PETF), a committee of seven elected faculty members, began by considering eight-page narrative reports each department submitted, detailing the strengths and special attributes of their programs. The group also worked with a rich database of information about enrollments, financial information, outcomes, and national and state trends in students' interests. The PETF wrote a final report, with a recommendation for each department (invest, sustain, transform, or close). The PETF recommended nine majors for closure, including: American Culture Studies; Anthropology; International Business; Design, Technology and Entrepreneurship (DTE); Educational Studies; French; Greek and Roman studies; the School of Art and the School of Music. That report was then considered by two faculty committees, which brought recommendations to the full faculty for a vote. At that point, the administration also submitted to the Trustees a narrative response to the PETF report and provided data about majors and minors, 10-year enrollment trends, and costs and revenue.

All of the information went to the Board of Trustees for consideration at their May meeting. The trustees endorsed four of the recommendations for closure (American Culture Studies; Design, Technology, and Entrepreneurship [DTE]; Greek and Roman Studies; and International Business) and determined that further study was needed on others.  They formed a working group of trustees and faculty members to review data yet further for six programs: Anthropology, Philosophy, Religion, Sociology, the School of Music, and the WLLC programs in French and Italian. 

We do not know, at this time, what decisions the Board will make. There will not be changes in the coming academic year. Even if a program were slated for discontinuance, all students currently in the program will be able to complete their studies; courses in the fields of study will continue to be offered. We do know that, as alumni themselves (nearly 90%), who are passionate about their liberal arts education, the Board's objective is to carry forward the heritage of the liberal arts college into the 21stcentury.

It is possible that some cuts will be recommended. No one would deny that change of that kind is painful. And, as has often been said, we cannot cut our way to success; there must also be investment in positive change that will help the university continue to flourish. This kind of self-evaluation has been undertaken by many peers and resulted in stronger, more vibrant, more distinctive institutions, better able to serve today's students.

This transformative opportunity is before us now at Illinois Wesleyan. The evaluation process has been a part of it. But even before the Board concludes that process, some of the outlines of the opportunities before us are clearly visible. As a university, we are currently comprised of three official entities: the College of Liberal Arts, the College of Fine Arts, and the School of Nursing. Each of these has exciting prospects for the future.

In the College of Liberal Arts, as was recognized by the PETF--and has been vividly underscored by recent events--it is crucial to re-affirm the centrality to our enterprise of human values. There is an opportunity to re-found and re-vitalize the Center for Human Rights and Social Justice.  This center would enable faculty with expertise and experience in the areas of racial and ethnic studies, equity and inequity, and human values broadly conceived, to work together to design a curricular, co-curricular, and research home for these studies, so critical to our students and our future. This work can be supported in part by a portion of the Trustees Fund for Strategic Initiatives.

In the College of Fine Arts, we will seek ways to better recognize and support the further development and collaboration of all of the arts—which, individually and in partnership, sustain and celebrate our fundamental humanity. These creative arts are also natural partners for the Innovation Corridor planned by our surrounding Bloomington/ Normal community.

In the School of Nursing, the PETF report suggests that the area of public health is particularly promising. It may have become even more so, in light of the global pandemic. Our nursing program has always been enriched by our liberal arts core curriculum, as in the distinctive Barcelona program, and this will continue to be the case. Our nurses trained in the liberal arts are particularly well-suited to contribute both to the health of individuals and the larger concerns of public health, an area of great interest to our students.

The PETF recommendation to create a School of Business and Economics, to include Accounting, Business, Economics, Entrepreneurship, Finance, and Marketing deserves serious consideration. We believe a School of Business and Economics at IWU will be strengthened by deep conversations about ethics, design, and communication, core components of the liberal arts. Attaining accreditation will be a multi-year project, providing opportunities for greater collaboration among the disciplines in the proposed School. 

Each of these initiatives is an attractive opportunity for donor support.

In addition to these opportunities for the colleges and schools, the Strategic Planning Working Groups, in which many campus members participated, have offered creative ideas for the future. Several of these are already underway. The effort to increase transfer students has begun to bear fruit. A certificate in data science is under development. The Center for Engaged Learning will open in the library this fall.

Some promising initiatives were in process, but were necessarily halted or slowed by the advent of COVID-19. Among these are a proposed program in Communications, new Living / Learning opportunities in residential life, and a more comprehensive program for first-year orientation.

Some suggested ideas await further research, such as an option for students to earn a Master's degree in Health and Fitness (a program which might be particularly attractive to our student-athletes), or offering professional development opportunities to local corporate partners, (which might contribute both revenue and strengthened community relations). Another possibility that deserves our attention is whether we might offer educational programming to our alumni and other audiences, such as the very popular series of Titan Talks this spring.

The fact that our one-day "All In for Wesleyan" annual giving event in June passed the million dollar mark for the first time is no accident. Alumni and friends of the university know that good things happen here. They know that students receive a truly distinctive and rigorous education from outstanding and caring faculty members. And they know that Illinois Wesleyan will continue to offer that liberal arts education for many years to come.

Titan Q

And the results...

https://www.pantagraph.com/news/local/education/illinois-wesleyan-university-to-eliminate-majors-in-anthropology-religion-french/article_ee0cd03f-9348-59e2-9ce8-dcd566d4847a.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1

Majors and minors in anthropology, religious studies and French and the minor in Italian will be discontinued at Illinois Wesleyan University following action Thursday by the board of trustees.

The School of Music and programs in philosophy and sociology will be retained but undergo "transformation."

The changes will take place after the 2020-21 school year and all students currently in the affected programs will be able to conclude their studies.
----
E-mail to alums this afternoon:

TO:    Illinois Wesleyan Alumni
FROM:    S. Georgia Nugent, President, and Timothy J. Szerlong '74, Chair, IWU Board of Trustees
RE:    Academic Programs for the Future of Illinois Wesleyan

We'd like to provide the following update on Illinois Wesleyan's academic program review process, which was shared with the campus community following the Board of Trustees meeting today. We appreciate all of your concerns, feedback, and actions. We hope you will join with the campus community in our efforts working together toward continued academic excellence.

The Board of Trustees of Illinois Wesleyan University met (via Zoom) today, July 16. This special meeting was called primarily to finalize the university's year-long academic program review.

The objective of the review has been to enhance and foster the university's educational mission, through sustainable programs that meet the learning needs and interests of today's and tomorrow's students. This will entail some reallocation of resources, both to strengthen existing programs and to enable new offerings.

The Board has considered the recommendations of the Program Evaluation Task Force (PETF) report, as well as the multiple subsequent stages of the program review. While basing their deliberations primarily on educational considerations as reflected in the recommendations of the PETF and their stated rationales, in some instances the Board modified those recommendations. For example, the Board did not endorse the PETF recommendations for closure of the Education Studies Department, the School of Art, nor the School of Music, because in the long-range judgments of the Board, the educational mission of the university as a whole would not be enhanced by the discontinuance of these programs.

Over the course of this process, every academic program was reviewed. The possibility of discontinuance, understandably, has drawn the greatest attention. But the goal of the process is to develop a stronger university for the future, and it is important to note that almost half of the university's forty programs were recommended (by the PETF and/or by the Board) for "transformation," which might include, for example: pedagogical innovation, interdisciplinary outreach, and more efficient use of resources. Each of these programs has had preliminary discussions with the Academic Affairs office and will submit a written plan to that office, with specific goals and timelines, before the conclusion of the fall semester.

Decisions were made at today's meeting to discontinue majors and minors in Anthropology, Religion and French, and the minor in Italian. Other programs studied further following the May board meeting – the School of Music and programs in Philosophy and Sociology – were identified for transformation. The full decisions reached by the Board at its May and July 2020 meetings include (shown in the center column):

Kovo

I just hope that NCC never eliminates their basket weaving program.  That was the best six years of my life!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Titan Q

Quote from: Kovo on July 17, 2020, 08:12:07 AM

I just hope that NCC never eliminates their basket weaving program.  That was the best six years of my life!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I hope out of this study IWU did not eliminate the "Theory & Practice of Basketball" class.  Took that 2nd semester senior year with Professor Dennie Bridges and enjoyed it.

Gregory Sager

Well, NCC's basket-weaving theory classes are probably safe, given that they can be cheaply offered online. But the basket-weaving labwork might be a problem.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

lmitzel

Quote from: Gregory Sager on July 17, 2020, 10:01:42 AM

Well, NCC's basket-weaving theory classes are probably safe, given that they can be cheaply offered online. But the basket-weaving labwork might be a problem.

I think my dad took the Honors Underwater Basket Weaving class back in the late 80's. I'd say that probably got axed, but you can probably social distance reasonably well in the pool there...
Official D-III Championship BeltTM Cartographer
2022 CCIW Football Pick 'Em Co-Champion
#THREEEEEEEEE

CardinalAlum

Quote from: Titan Q on July 17, 2020, 09:39:48 AM

I hope out of this study IWU did not eliminate the "Theory & Practice of Basketball" class.  Took that 2nd semester senior year with Professor Dennie Bridges and enjoyed it.

My "Psychology of Coaching" class at NCC that Al Carius taught, was by far the best class I took.  I learned so much about life, motivation, hard work and dealing with failure and success in every day life.  I hope he writes a book some day.
D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  ** D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **   D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 2022

markerickson

Yesterday's Chicago Tribune lead front page story pertained to the cuts in liberal arts education at IWU.  Roman and Greek studies got axed.  Wise choice.  Italian and religion too.  Based on the President's letter and Trib article, i do not think IWU did anything wrong.  Nursing will gain more funding.  Nothing wrong with that that decision either.  I wish public schools, especially the crappy DI schools in Illinois, would follow IWU's direction.  Eliminate unpopular majors, and avoid duplicating certain majors and concentrate them at a few campuses.  However, patronage, cronyism, tax raises, and less revenue will prevail in this state that has no clue on how to properly manage taxpayer money.  Worst. Credit. Rating. In. The. Nation.  Fact.
Once a metalhead, always a metalhead.  Matthew 5:13.

AndOne

IF we can have a basketball season this year, I've heard that one possibility being looked at is a schedule consisting of conference games only. No overnight travel. CCIW wise, this would result in a 16 game season before any possibility of tournament play being introduced.
Maybe everyone could play 3 rounds of conference games instead of the usual 2. This would give us a 24 game regular season schedule, still under the NCAA limit of 25. Who knows? 🤷🏻‍♂️