MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Something to keep in mind ... sometimes rosters aren't allowed to be posted until compliance has signed off on players. In Division III, there can be a lot of reasons for delays to rosters and such.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Augie6

Quote from: AndOne on September 25, 2018, 06:34:08 PM
I didn't take your language as being disparaging to any particular player, 4samuy. More of a natural reaction to the manner in which the roster is currently posted.
Rather, my sense is that Augie itself basically trivializes players opportunity when it lists a roster with a full complement of numbers already assigned instead of acknowledging some new player(s) might be able to gain a place on the roster through their hard work and subsequent achievement once formal practice begins.
Sure, most of the numbers are "gone" but there are a couple of guys, that evidently have already made the traveling team, who contributed little to last year's overall high level of team performance and would would seem vulnerable to losing their spot. 🤔

Yes, Augie is intentionally trivializing players opportunities by how they are listed on the roster. (I'd insert a sarcastic emoji here, if I knew which one it was).  If you look at the roster that is listed and the players who have assigned numbers, ALL of these players were on the varsity roster at some point during last season and they have the same numbers listed.  If you take the time to look, you will see that Jarret Tribble and Pierson Wofford are both listed as number 24, which Tribble used last year after Wofford went down with his knee injury.  For the guys that weren't on the varsity roster last year, I'm sure Coach G has discussed with them the things they need to do to make the roster and that's what they should be (and I would bet, are) focused on to make the team.  If they're really concerned about not having a number assigned to them several weeks before the start of the season, then that is someone who is probably not going to make it in the program, long term. 
Augie Football:  CCIW Champions:  1949-66-68-75-81-82-83-84-85-86-87-88-90-91-93-94-97-99-01-05-06     NCAA Champions:  1983-84-85-86

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Augie6 on September 25, 2018, 10:43:03 PM
I didn't take your language as being disparaging to any particular player, 4samuy. More of a natural reaction to the manner in which the roster is currently posted.
Rather, my sense is that Augie itself basically trivializes players opportunity when it lists a roster with a full complement of numbers already assigned instead of acknowledging some new player(s) might be able to gain a place on the roster through their hard work and subsequent achievement once formal practice begins.
Sure, most of the numbers are "gone" but there are a couple of guys, that evidently have already made the traveling team, who contributed little to last year's overall high level of team performance and would would seem vulnerable to losing their spot. 🤔

Yes, Augie is intentionally trivializing players opportunities by how they are listed on the roster. (I'd insert a sarcastic emoji here, if I knew which one it was).

It's this one: ::)

Some people prefer an upside-down smiley face, but it's hard to top a good old-fashioned eyeroll.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Augie6

Quote from: Gregory Sager on September 25, 2018, 11:30:58 PM

Yes, Augie is intentionally trivializing players opportunities by how they are listed on the roster. (I'd insert a sarcastic emoji here, if I knew which one it was).

Some people prefer an upside-down smiley face, but it's hard to top a good old-fashioned eyeroll.

Thanks, GS.  I would have used multiple eye-roll emoji's in my previous response. 
Augie Football:  CCIW Champions:  1949-66-68-75-81-82-83-84-85-86-87-88-90-91-93-94-97-99-01-05-06     NCAA Champions:  1983-84-85-86

AndOne

Quote from: Augie6 on September 26, 2018, 12:24:23 AM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on September 25, 2018, 11:30:58 PM

Thanks, GS.  I would have used multiple eye-roll emoji's in my previous response.

Wouldn't want to trivialize or minimize your choices Augie6 so here you go.......

🙃🙃🙃🙃🙃🙃🙃🙃🙃🙃🙃🙃🙃🙃🙃🙃🙃🙃🙃🙃

Always glad to help.
No charge!
Go crazy.
🙃

Gregory Sager

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Red and black

Transfer College... I mean Carthage has added a few new faces (sorry wrong board)

Well two new ones and one old one anyways.

6'3 Guard Jordan Kedrowski is back in a Red Men uniform

6'1 Guard Crishawn Cook from Niles North High School originally

6'5 Forward Preston Laketa spent first two years at Alma

I'll see if I can dig up any info on incoming freshman, but it appears these are three incoming players that could all be fighting for starting minutes.

Gregory Sager

Kedrowski really fell off last season at Loras. He never started, and he averaged about 14 mpg off of the bench, with horrendous shooting splits -- .347/.283/.833, with the last number mitigated by the fact that he only got to the line twelve times in 2017-18. He averaged 5.1 ppg, but that's a high-volume number, as he took a shot roughly once every two and a half minutes, which is a pace typical of someone viewed as a scorer.

Perhaps a return to Carthage will be just the tonic for him, as I assume that the alienation he likely felt when Bosko cut his minutes way back at the end of the 2016-17 season has long since faded.

Preston Laketa had a really nice freshman season for Alma two years ago, averaging 12.2 and 4.5 as a part-time starter for the Scots. I watched a lot of Alma games that season, and he impressed me. He'll be a good addition for Bosko, as the departure of Brad Kruse left a massive hole in the Red Men lineup.

Crishawn Cook went to SIU as a walk-on two years ago and got garbage time in four games for the Salukis. He spent last season at a juco down in Texas called Ranger College, where he averaged 7 ppg while mostly coming off of the bench.

AndOne

Quote from: Red and black on October 03, 2018, 11:11:04 AM
Transfer College... I mean Carthage has added a few new faces (sorry wrong board)

Well two new ones and one old one anyways.

6'3 Guard Jordan Kedrowski is back in a Red Men uniform

6'1 Guard Crishawn Cook from Niles North High School originally

I'll see if I can dig up any info on incoming freshman, but it appears these are three incoming players that could all be fighting for starting minutes.

Quote from: Gregory Sager on October 03, 2018, 11:38:50 AM
Kedrowski really fell off last season at Loras. He never started, and he averaged about 14 mpg off of the bench, with horrendous shooting splits -- .347/.283/.833, with the last number mitigated by the fact that he only got to the line twelve times in 2017-18. He averaged 5.1 ppg, but that's a high-volume number, as he took a shot roughly once every two and a half minutes, which is a pace typical of someone viewed as a scorer.

Perhaps a return to Carthage will be just the tonic for him, as I assume that the alienation he likely felt when Bosko cut his minutes way back at the end of the 2016-17 season has long since faded.

Preston Laketa had a really nice freshman season for Alma two years ago, averaging 12.2 and 4.5 as a part-time starter for the Scots. I watched a lot of Alma games that season, and he impressed me. He'll be a good addition for Bosko, as the departure of Brad Kruse left a massive hole in the Red Men lineup.

Crishawn Cook went to SIU as a walk-on two years ago and got garbage time in four games for the Salukis. He spent last season at a juco down in Texas called Ranger College, where he averaged 7 ppg while mostly coming off of the bench.

Not having heard much, if anything, about it to date, I've been wondering about the Carthage recruiting class. Good work Red & Black.
Looks like Bosko is focusing more on transfers rather than going the more prevalent freshmen route.

As Greg points out, Kedrowski has been on a downward slide since his nice 2015-2016 freshman year at Carthage. While confidence is an asset, several people who have history with him have related that he is a kid who has had somewhat of a problem accepting what his true level of ability is. He began his HS career at Neuqua Valley but, after not playing as much as he thought he should, transferred to Downers Grove North for his senior season. He then entered Carthage. I don't know what happened toward the end of his first year at Carthage but it was obvious to anyone who paid the slightest degree of attention to the situation that Kedrowski was in Bosko's doghouse as the 2016 season wound down. Then, again going back to the acceptance of his ability level question, he tried to walk on at D1 Ball State last year. Following that misadventure, he found himself at Loras where he compiled the stats delineated above by Greg. Likely knowing his PT would be severely limited should he return to Loras, his traveling road show now finds him back where his college career began.

Gregory Sager

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

sac

Quote from: Red and black on October 03, 2018, 11:11:04 AM

Interesting.   Laketa played in 22 games his Fr. year, he was quite an outside shooting sprark logging 5+ 3pt attempts in 18 of those 22 appearances with around 19 minutes of game time.  Statistically a 43% shooter.   Last year he was an end of 1st semester casualty and his stats have been scrubbed from the MIAA stat sheets, but I believe his role and performance was basically the same.

If I'm not mistaken Laketa has twin brothers of college quality who are high school Sr's this year.

Gregory Sager

kiko

Quote from: Gregory Sager on October 04, 2018, 12:36:44 PM
Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on October 04, 2018, 06:28:29 AM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on October 04, 2018, 12:37:57 AM
North Park's roster is up.

This seems to be missing a name, Greg.

No, unfortunately it's not.

I'll admit it -- normally I couldn't be bothered to click a link to see North Park's roster.  But i did take the 30 seconds this year specifically to scan for the missing name.

UWO Titan 78

Quote from: AndOne on September 25, 2018, 05:31:40 PM
Quote from: 4samuy on September 25, 2018, 10:34:33 AM
Augustana roster is up.  No surprises. Jerseys going to pretty much the same group as last year subtracting Sortillo and Dollmeyer and adding Jarret Tribble and Wofford.

I wish more teams would post their rosters at this early date, especially when those rosters include the names of the new freshmen and transfers. A possible reason why more don't might be that many teams, especially those with very large initial numbers, invariably see some kids quit either before formal practice even starts in mid Oct, or shortly thereafter.

What seems a bit odd is to see an early roster posted as Augie's is with numbers already assigned before practice even starts. Instead, it seems like a roster posted an an early date like this should just list the name and other pertinent info, sans the numbers. Right now, the kids are just scrimmaging in open gym format. When you can say "jerseys going to" before formal practice even begins, that strongly suggests this seasons varsity roster has been predetermined. I realize that based on past performance, you can make a pretty strong educated guess. However, already awarding numbers at such an early date sure seems to say "you don't have a chance at varsity" to the kids not assigned a number. Seems like that could be pretty disheartening to a highly recruited kid that could have gone to a number of schools. What if, once formal practice starts, a kid plays lights out, and clearly outplays someone already listed as being given a jersey? Is his effort and achievement for naught? Seems like you're telling the freshmen and returnees who weren't on the numbered roster last year, to just come out knowing you're not making the traveling team no matter how well you play in practice because the makeup of the varsity team has already been determined.
For instance, Dillion Durrett was possibly the best looking HS player I saw the entire 2015-2016 season. Nonetheless, given Augie's usual strength, it wasn't surprising to see him not become a member of last season's traveling squad. But what about his chances this year? Has he fallen on his face since arriving in Rock Island? Has he no chance to move up this year? The way the roster shapes up as posted in it's current format seems to say "no." Again, pretty disheartening.

Also kind of surprising that the highly recruited, and highly praised as being a future interior force, Jacob Schwerbrock doesn't at least even get a jersey. Of course when you're 6'8" and you go to Augie you're just one of a cast, seemingly of hundreds, of players 6'7" or taller. As such its easy for a young sapling to get lost in the forest of mature trees. 🌱 🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲

Is it possible that the players given numbers are the returning letter winners, and the others can "earn" their numbers in preseason practice? I would think if you were a letter winner, you would have a number. I do see 2 players with the same #, so I would think something has to change there.