FB: New England Small College Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gate90 and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

PistachioX

ISL teams are loaded with men who have repeated a grade or two along the way - either before getting to HS, and/or after transferring from their original HS.  Many of them are 19 or 20 by the time they graduate HS   ::)  I would hope those teams could out-hustle and out-muscle teams in the MIAA. 

The lion's share of stud ISL players "reclassify" after completing their Jr year at their local public or other HS...  they repeat a year, so they can get bigger and stronger for recruiting purposes, and work on beefing up their transcript.  It's the ISL's alternative to doing a PG year.

The Catholic schools in MA are starting to be peppered with older kids who have elected to repeat along the way, as well (8th grade, before heading to a new, private HS).

FourMoreYears

Quote from: tufts on August 18, 2013, 11:09:06 PM
Quote from: gridiron on August 18, 2013, 10:51:25 PM
Lumbercat--great intel on Bowdoin and Bates.  Interested in Colby too when possible.

.....yes definitely , excellent......seems like both Bowdoin and Bates are lacking proportion of Defensive players.

In Bowdoin's case, one might suggest that is the correct strategy given their recent offensive output.

amh63

The board is starting to "heat" up as arrival date of students approaches.  Welcome aboard all new posters....hope you'll stay around during the season.
Lumbercat...thanks for the info.  After scanning the lists, several areas of interest.  Seems there is a large size recruit....OL player from Amherst, Ma....with a familiar name...Barstow.  There is an administrator at the college with the same name.  Hope the LJ's did not miss a good one.  Hard sometimes to keep a hometown kid.  Be interesting to see what OL candidates show up on the Amherst early roster.
See that Bates and Bowdoin both have a QB from the Taft school...both good size.  Look forward to see who becomes the better college player  or contribute the most to their school on the field.
Taft seems to be a prep school that develop QBs.  Amherst had a starting QB that came from Taft "recently".  I noticed because he was the son of a great Amherst QB in the late 60's from Iowa.
He came to Amherst in part because of his uncle who played at Amherst and was a classmate of mine.
His "fame" came about in part from a win against Tufts in an away game.  Tufts was ranked the top team  by the Boston papers at The time.  The Amherst QB was just coming back from an injury..not at "full speed"...so to speak.  Amherst was the underdog.  Amherst crushed Tufts.  the Boston papers had to find out why and found a story line.  Seems that the QB turned down scholarships to Iowa and Iowa State to go play at Amherst, where his father had to pay...being a MD.  Of course, Amherst had several young WRs on the team.  One the papers considered to be the best in NE.  They were correct because he went on to play for both Dallas and the Redskins in the NFL.
I digress in memories.  Was at that Tufts game. 

nescac1

There have been a lot of posts on point, so possible that I missed it, but was there really a discussion of NJ football without a mention of arguably the best high school program in the country, Don Bosco?  I realize they are an outlier in NJ, but that team is LOADED with great players year in and year out, including a few who have gone on to NESCAC stardom (Kevin Ferber from Amherst, who was one of the best defensive players in recent NESCAC history, all-NESCAC LB Danny Chun, also at Amherst, and Jared Goldenberg, who was poised for stardom at Wesleyan before transferring to UMiami this off-season).  Amherst in particular appears to recruit Don Bosco pretty heavily. 

The New Yorker did a great article last year on the Don Bosco program:

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2012/01/02/120102fa_fact_mcgrath

amh63

Nescac1.....thanks for the plugs to Amherst.....The starting LG for Amherst, Jack Reynolds "13...was also from the school.  His
"best friend" at Amherst was the three times 1st team conference center, John Ceccio "13 on the team. The center was from rival St Joeseph Regional.  They played against each other in high school.  They never let each other forget the games as they worked out together in the weight room.....becoming the two strongest players on the team last season......combined 550 pounds.

Knightstalker

Quote from: nescac1 on August 19, 2013, 10:24:45 AM
There have been a lot of posts on point, so possible that I missed it, but was there really a discussion of NJ football without a mention of arguably the best high school program in the country, Don Bosco?  I realize they are an outlier in NJ, but that team is LOADED with great players year in and year out, including a few who have gone on to NESCAC stardom (Kevin Ferber from Amherst, who was one of the best defensive players in recent NESCAC history, all-NESCAC LB Danny Chun, also at Amherst, and Jared Goldenberg, who was poised for stardom at Wesleyan before transferring to UMiami this off-season).  Amherst in particular appears to recruit Don Bosco pretty heavily. 

NESCAC1 I stated on the previous page that most teams in the country would not do well against Don Bosco Prep or Bergen Catholic.  Don Bosco is on the same level as Mater Dei while Bergen Catholic is a level below.  Both schools get a lot of players with NFL Pedigrees.  A large number of Jets and Giants players live in the Bergen County area and send their kids to these schools.

"In the end we will survive rather than perish not because we accumulate comfort and luxury but because we accumulate wisdom"  Colonel Jack Jacobs US Army (Ret).

iamhuge

Quote from: Knightstalker on August 19, 2013, 11:18:50 AM

NESCAC1 I stated on the previous page that most teams in the country would not do well against Don Bosco Prep or Bergen Catholic.  Don Bosco is on the same level as Mater Dei while Bergen Catholic is a level below.  Both schools get a lot of players with NFL Pedigrees.  A large number of Jets and Giants players live in the Bergen County area and send their kids to these schools.

That's a pretty good gene pool !!

madzillagd

There have been a lot of posts on point, so possible that I missed it, but was there really a discussion of NJ football without a mention of arguably the best high school program in the country, Don Bosco?

I'm not sure what Don Bosco's record has been over the years, and maybe it's just my CA bias, but I don't think there's a doubt that De La Salle out of Concord, CA is the best football program in the country.  Since 1979, they are 399-25-3.  They are currently on a 26 game win streak and since 1979 they've had separate win streaks of 26 (now), 28, 15, 21, 151, 34, 14, and 44.  Personally I'd like to see the public schools and private schools play each other during the year but have separate championships. 

nescac1

I'm not talking the best, historically, certainly don't know enough to begin to have an idea about that, but Bosco has as strong a claim as anyone to being the best right now.  Since 2004, Bosco has gone 89-7 despite playing some very tough competition (their 2013 schedule is rated the toughest in the country, for example); typically play several road games vs. some of the top teams, nationally.  In both 2010 and 2011 they were awarded the (somewhat arbitrary, but still impressive) "national champion" award by a few publications.  In recent years they, on basically an annual basis, send numerous guys to top-tier D-1 programs.  The guys going to, and thriving in, NESCAC from Bosco are not even close to the top guys on the team. 

jknezek

I'm not sure what winning streaks prove since they don't have too many common opponents, but Don Bosco since 2005 has had a 36 game streak, 24, and 11. They are 99-7 overall in the program's history. Looked at  against non-league opponents, they have gone 55-4 and 19-2 against out of state opponents plus 17-1 in playoff games.

Since 2004, they are also 2-0 against De La Salle, with the last win a 30-6 shellacking in 2009. Against other powers, 1-0 against St. Thomas Aquinas (Fort Lauderdale FL), 1-0 against Mission Viejo, 1-0 against St. Ignatius (Cleveland OH), 1-0 against Prattville AL, and 1-1 against Gilman in Baltimore MD. The only losing record I see is 0-1 against St. Xavier in Cincinatti OH.

All stats provided by Maxpreps.com   

madzillagd

Looks like Maxpreps doesn't think as highly of DB this year though, they've got them down at 45 to start the year and DLS is up at #1.  If DB beats Mission Viejo then I'm sure they'll jump up a bunch.  You never know with the public schools, one year they'll look like world beaters then the next year they struggle.  A lot easier with the private schools to keep the talent levels up. 

jknezek

Don Bosco's schedule is brutal. I think there are something like 5 consensus top 100 high schools (by whoever puts out that kind of guesswork) on the schedule. Just teams I recognize include Mission Viejo, Central (Miami, FL), Paramus Catholic, and Bergan Catholic. They also have St. Joseph's from Philly, and St. Joseph's from Montvale NJ, both are top 150 teams as MaxPrep guesses. The only easy wins on the schedule should be Hackensack and Friendship Collegiate in D.C. When you play that kind of schedule, it gets a little crazy.

By comparison, De La Salle's only really strong opponent is Servite, which would rank as the 9th easiest team on Don Bosco's schedule according to MaxPrep's rankings (aka complete and utter pre-season guesses). Lot easier to look good taking out that kind of schedule.

quicksilver

Quote from: amh63 on August 19, 2013, 10:00:59 AM
The board is starting to "heat" up as arrival date of students approaches.  Welcome aboard all new posters....hope you'll stay around during the season.
Lumbercat...thanks for the info.  After scanning the lists, several areas of interest.  . . . .
See that Bates and Bowdoin both have a QB from the Taft school...both good size.  Look forward to see who becomes the better college player  or contribute the most to their school on the field.
Taft seems to be a prep school that develop QBs.  Amherst had a starting QB that came from Taft "recently".  I noticed because he was the son of a great Amherst QB in the late 60's from Iowa.
He came to Amherst in part because of his uncle who played at Amherst and was a classmate of mine.
His "fame" came about in part from a win against Tufts in an away game.  Tufts was ranked the top team  by the Boston papers at The time.  The Amherst QB was just coming back from an injury..not at "full speed"...so to speak.  Amherst was the underdog.  Amherst crushed Tufts.  the Boston papers had to find out why and found a story line.  Seems that the QB turned down scholarships to Iowa and Iowa State to go play at Amherst, where his father had to pay...being a MD.  Of course, Amherst had several young WRs on the team.  One the papers considered to be the best in NE.  They were correct because he went on to play for both Dallas and the Redskins in the NFL.

Interesting story on the Bates QB prospect from Taft, Nick Laspada. He did not play QB at all in the fall of 2012 during his PG season at Taft due to the position already being occupied by the Bowdoin recruit (Time Drakeley). Laspada was once a very hot prospect at QB until sidelined by some serious health issues, causing Harvard to lose interest in him. He spent his PG year playing WR and safety but hopes to take another shot at QB at Bates.

lewdogg11

Quote from: quicksilver on August 19, 2013, 04:23:29 PM
Lumbercat...thanks for the info.  After scanning the lists, several areas of interest.  . . . .

Interesting story on the Bates QB prospect from Taft, Nick Laspada. He did not play QB at all in the fall of 2012 during his PG season at Taft due to the position already being occupied by the Bowdoin recruit (Time Drakeley). Laspada was once a very hot prospect at QB until sidelined by some serious health issues, causing Harvard to lose interest in him. He spent his PG year playing WR and safety but hopes to take another shot at QB at Bates.

Laspada was a very good QB at Billerica HS and was recruited by some decent sized schools before his health issues.  Kind of surprised he ended up at Bates but I anticipate he'll light up the stat books, much like Matt Grimard has at Bethany College.

AlDavis

Quote from: LewDogg11 on August 19, 2013, 05:07:23 PM
Quote from: quicksilver on August 19, 2013, 04:23:29 PM

Laspada was a very good QB at Billerica HS and was recruited by some decent sized schools before his health issues.  Kind of surprised he ended up at Bates but I anticipate he'll light up the stat books, much like Matt Grimard has at Bethany College.

excellent score for Bates.....Sounds like a great player and will probably have a nice chip on his shoulder.......phuck Harvard.....if QB doesn't work out he will be an excellent Safety to go along with and then replace Kukesh.