MBB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by steelyglen, February 15, 2005, 09:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nwhoops1903

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on March 08, 2010, 10:08:27 PM
With Tyler Sanborn (and Ben Strong before him), when was the last time Guilford DIDN'T have "an edge in the paint"?! ;D
If and when Whitworth meets Guilford on Sat,  Sanborn vs Montgomery would be pretty darn good matchup.  It's been a few years since Nate lost an edge and their are quite a few decent bigs in the NWC.

Hello ODAC posters, I know I speak for all of WW fans when I say we are extremely excited to travel to ODAC land and face, hopefully, both of your top teams.  Whitworth brings a senior led team and a big wheel of a win streak at 25 games.  The Pirates need 1 more win to set a school record for wins in a season as well.

Some kid named Kent Raymond had the best night of his D3 career against us the last time we were in the round of 16.  Sanborn is an All American and we look forward to the challenge he will present but first we must get past the Royals who are pretty darn impressive as a team.

Looking forward to a fun week of anticipation and conversation here.

NWC fan

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: nwhoops1903 on March 08, 2010, 11:59:03 PM
With Tyler Sanborn (and Ben Strong before him), when was the last time Guilford DIDN'T have "an edge in the paint"?! ;D
If and when Whitworth meets Guilford on Sat,  Sanborn vs Montgomery would be pretty darn good matchup.  It's been a few years since Nate lost an edge and their are quite a few decent bigs in the NWC.

Hello ODAC posters, I know I speak for all of WW fans when I say we are extremely excited to travel to ODAC land and face, hopefully, both of your top teams.  Whitworth brings a senior led team and a big wheel of a win streak at 25 games.  The Pirates need 1 more win to set a school record for wins in a season as well.

Some kid named Kent Raymond had the best night of his D3 career against us
the last time we were in the round of 16.  Sanborn is an All American and we look forward to the challenge he will present but first we must get past the Royals who are pretty darn impressive as a team.

Looking forward to a fun week of anticipation and conversation here.

Just because Kent dropped 47 on you doesn't necessarily mean it was his best game! ;)  He WAS that good.

nwhoops1903

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on March 09, 2010, 12:17:55 AM
If and when Whitworth meets Guilford on Sat,  Sanborn vs Montgomery would be pretty darn good matchup...
the last time we were in the round of 16.  Sanborn is an All American and we look forward to the challenge he will present...
Just because Kent dropped 47 on you doesn't necessarily mean it was his best game! ;)  He WAS that good.
I knew you were gonna say that! ;)  It HAD to be his best game in a game that mattered BIG.  Show me a better NCAA tournament line of his.
NWC fan

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: nwhoops1903 on March 09, 2010, 12:22:42 AM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on March 09, 2010, 12:17:55 AM
If and when Whitworth meets Guilford on Sat,  Sanborn vs Montgomery would be pretty darn good matchup...
the last time we were in the round of 16.  Sanborn is an All American and we look forward to the challenge he will present...
I knew you were gonna say that! ;)  It HAD to be his best game in a game that mattered BIG.  Show me a better NCAA tournament line of his.

I should have known you'd throw down the gantlet!

I'm not sure he ever scored more points, but having faced him twice a year (and 3 times some years), it always FELT like he went for 50.  The guy was the freakin' point guard - if he didn't score 47, he'd score 30 with 14 assists! :o

deangn

Quote from: David Collinge on March 08, 2010, 09:41:26 PM
Quote from: hasanova on March 08, 2010, 09:28:03 PMI think RMC defeated C. of Wooster this season, so that's a common opponent of the Quakers.
R-MC beat Wooster at R-MC 72-65 on Dec. 14.

Another common opponent is Ohio Wesleyan.  The Quakers beat OWU at Marietta by 7 on Dec. 29; Wooster beat the Battling Bishops three times, by eight, 16, and 17 points.  Not that this tells us anything very useful about this Friday's matchup, one in which Guilford will be a solid favorite.

One other common opponent is John Carroll.  Wooster lost 71-63 at John Carroll on November 29. 

ScotsFan

Quote from: deangn on March 09, 2010, 05:04:28 AM
Quote from: David Collinge on March 08, 2010, 09:41:26 PM
Quote from: hasanova on March 08, 2010, 09:28:03 PMI think RMC defeated C. of Wooster this season, so that's a common opponent of the Quakers.
R-MC beat Wooster at R-MC 72-65 on Dec. 14.

Another common opponent is Ohio Wesleyan.  The Quakers beat OWU at Marietta by 7 on Dec. 29; Wooster beat the Battling Bishops three times, by eight, 16, and 17 points.  Not that this tells us anything very useful about this Friday's matchup, one in which Guilford will be a solid favorite.

One other common opponent is John Carroll.  Wooster lost 71-63 at John Carroll on November 29. 

I'd also like to add that both the R-MC and JCU games were road games for Wooster and the Scots were very much in both of those games until late collapses in the final minute or so of each game.  IIRC, they had a lead vs. R-MC in the final minute and a half but coughed the ball up on 3 straight possessions in the final minute of the game allowing the Jackets to pad the final margin of victory.  And against JCU, it was a tie game (60 all) until a late 9-0 run from JCU sealed defeat for Wooster.  And this was with the Scots having not only a miserable day shooing going just 3-21 from deep but it also saw them commit 26 turnovers.  :o

IMHO, this Wooster team is playing much better on both ends of the floor than the team that lost to JCU back in November and the team that lost to R-MC before the holidays.

deanslist

So will Guilford fans be cheering for EMU in the 6pm game on Friday?

nwhoops1903

Quote from: deanslist on March 09, 2010, 10:53:03 AM
Why would Guilford want to face a team that has beating them by 27?  Whitworth would love the Guilford attention!! :P ;D
NWC fan

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: rmc1982 on March 08, 2010, 04:54:32 PM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 07, 2010, 03:59:02 PM
St. Mary's is hosting as well... and despite the thought about RMC hosting... SMC is a #1 regionally ranked team and the chance the NCAA would go to a lower ranked team like RMC, F&M, or DeSales was a bit of a stretch. SMC is also very centrally located for all teams... and there are plenty of hotels and restaurants within ten miles of the SMC campus.

RMC fans... shouldn't be that bad a trip... 2 to 2 1/2 hours?
D-Mac-I realize St Mary's is a #1 regionally ranked team but when you look at their schedule it is  nowhere near the difficulty of any of the ODAC teams represented.I also realize that they beat VWC, albeit on a very questionable out of bounds call at the end of the game,which very well could have decided the game.All of that being said, for you to say its an easy trip for R-MC fans is a bit of a stretch.Even though it's probably only a 3 hr trip from Ashland,Its more of a "go around your A__ to get to your thumb" kinda place!I know its all water under the bridge now(and we could have been in the regional with Guilford and EMU-YIKES!),and we seem to play better in a hostile venue anyway, but to say its central is just looking at a map by "how the crow flies"In reality, it's a whole lot more difficult than truckin' down I-95 for everybody.....Anyways, my two cents worth.Congrats to ALL ODAC participants and Good Luck this weekend!....and especially....GO Jackets!

Come on... it more then just where is the easiest place to put the tournament (that plays a factor), but it also is to reward teams that played well. Randolph-Macon certainly had a good SOS... but lost more games then SMC. If we only hosted at schools that made the trip the easiest, some of these schools would never get the chance to host (i.e. West Coast teams). Heck, for those heading south... it's just a matter of jumping off I-95 near DC (if that is the route they choose) and driving an hour on pretty good four-lane roads. I should know... this will be my third straight weekend to SMC (countless total) and the trip isn't nearly as bad as some people portray - just watch out for cops that line many of the roads in the area.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

deanslist

I thought maybe Guilford fans would cheer for an ODAC team one more round. Being an EMU fan, if the Royals were to face Guilford in the Elite 8 I would expect a competitive game, but would welcome another 27 point victory to get to the Final Four.

Is Whitworth getting into Greensboro on Wednesday or Thursday?

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh mentioned about watching out for the cops. I came across this information piece this morning.

http://www.whsv.com/home/headlines/87078287.html

sludge

Quote from: deanslist on March 09, 2010, 10:53:03 AM

EMU has shown they can play in the Guilford gym.

Yes.  I'll be cheering for EMU, you bet.  (I won't cry if they lose though).
This isn't an Apollo Creed type of operation here.  Happy to see that rematch.

Kenleen

We would have preferred to host at EMU where we are 13-0 this season, but we can't complain about the opportunity to play on a familiar court.  It's nice to know that some ODAC fans will pull for us against Whitworth.  I will cheer for Guilford against Wooster so if EMU gets past Whitworth  to face Guilford at least one ODAC team makes it back to Salem.  After that last second foul shot by Randolph Macon beat us in the ODAC semis, I'd most like an EMU-RMC rematch in the national championship game.  But that's for another week!
Kenleen

hasanova

The Guilford fans I know are also ODAC fans, so we'll be rooting for the Royals ... and it would guarantee an ODAC team in the Final Four.  No matter how this thing plays out, however, it should be a great weekend of basketball.

I'm not sure if Guilford's ever played a west coast team in their NCAA days, so that would be an interesting development as well ... but, first things first, Guilford is totally focused on College of Wooster.  Any team that wins 25 games and advances to the Sweet 16 has our attention!

EMU certainly handed it to Guilford on Feb. 10, but something just didn't look right with our team that night.  I don't want to take anything away from EMU's victory, but I like our chances in a possible rematch.   Whoever survives this sectional is a great team!

The Whitworth fan mentioned the Pirates' winning streak and school record for wins ... congratulations!  For the record, Guilford's records are 29 in a row and 32-5.  We won't get the win streak this season, but we do still have a chance to tie the mark for wins in a season.  :)

Again, welcome Pirates, Royals and Scots to Guilford!

sludge

Quote from: Kenleen on March 09, 2010, 06:32:16 PM
...  I will cheer for Guilford against Wooster so if EMU gets past Whitworth  to face Guilford at least one ODAC team makes it back to Salem...
Admit it, you just want a chance to drop another 27 points on us.   ;)

Quote from: hasanova on March 09, 2010, 09:01:59 PM
EMU certainly handed it to Guilford on Feb. 10, but something just didn't look right with our team that night.
There goes hasanova with understated sophistication again.

I think Randolph-Macon will have its hands full big time this weekend also.

hasanova

It may have already been mentioned, but another common opponent for CoW and GC was NC Wesleyan.  The Quakers topped the Bishops 83-66 in Rocky Mount, NC (away) on Dec. 2 and the Scots topped NCWC 87-69 at the RMC tournament on Dec. 13.  All in all, I'd say it was a wash.