FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigerFanAlso2

not sure anyone can figure the odac out. I would guess RMC is positioned to become a top ODAC team for the foreseeable future.
HSC can crawl back into the hunt with solid recruiting classes and player development, same holds true for basically any other team.
Will be fun to observe how the league develops. The days are gone, at least for awhile, where W&L and HSC are the top dogs.

hasanova

Quote from: HSCTiger fan on February 08, 2017, 06:31:22 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on February 08, 2017, 04:37:28 PM
Quote from: HSCTiger fan on February 08, 2017, 02:09:12 PM
2016 preseason predictions had:

WL - 20th
GC - 35th
HSC - 55th  Then I quit looking.  That was enough to show me his predictions (at least the preseason) are worthless.

I don't know of too many preseason predictions that knew your top running back would not be returning.

I'm sure the ratings did not consider that.  But that does not explain WL or GC.
Well, there were other factors, of course, but GC lost their pre-season All-America running back for the season in the CUA game.  He had 600 yards for the season when hurt in the first quarter of game four.

HSCTiger fan

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on February 13, 2017, 11:47:58 AM
not sure anyone can figure the odac out. I would guess RMC is positioned to become a top ODAC team for the foreseeable future.
HSC can crawl back into the hunt with solid recruiting classes and player development, same holds true for basically any other team.
Will be fun to observe how the league develops. The days are gone, at least for awhile, where W&L and HSC are the top dogs.

RMC loses 15 of 22 in their 2 deep on defense including 9 starters. Sure they went 9-1 last season but they only had 9 wins the prior 2. I'm not ready to concede the ODAC to those guys.

By comparison HSC had 3 seniors in their 2 deep on defense and only one of them started.
Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

tigerFanAlso2

yes, but RMC has recruited well over the past five years, including this year, and are now able to reload more or less.
I'd look for RMC to be a factor for several years to come. 

To your point on the many HSC returning to the defense; given how bad the defense was in 2016, not sure that is good news or not; hoping so but not sure at this point.  You saw them last year; what premium do you put on a years worth of experience ? Not sure the question is answered until September 2nd. All I know is virtually every offense made them look really bad; how much of that was caused by turnovers or turnovers on downs, etc., don't know but certain it played a part. 
I'm hoping for a miracle but not holding my breath.

HSCTiger fan

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on February 15, 2017, 10:00:18 AM
yes, but RMC has recruited well over the past five years, including this year, and are now able to reload more or less.
I'd look for RMC to be a factor for several years to come. 

To your point on the many HSC returning to the defense; given how bad the defense was in 2016, not sure that is good news or not; hoping so but not sure at this point.  You saw them last year; what premium do you put on a years worth of experience ? Not sure the question is answered until September 2nd. All I know is virtually every offense made them look really bad; how much of that was caused by turnovers or turnovers on downs, etc., don't know but certain it played a part. 
I'm hoping for a miracle but not holding my breath.

In 2015 RMC ranked 125th in Total Defense. They returned most of their players and in 2016 ranked 35th.

In 2012 HSC ranked 116th in total defense. They returned most of their players and in 2013 they ranked 23rd.

I have little doubt that RMC will be talented again this fall. But I do doubt they will be anywhere near as impressive defensively as last season. They will have to start at least 4 players that were 3rd string last year or freshmen that were in HS last year.

Last year the defense at HSC was very bad. They ranked 211th in total defense. I would think with 19 returning in the 2 deep that they will improve at least be in the top 150. In 2014 HSC ranked 144th and that ranking, as bad as it may sound, was good enough to win the ODAC.

Hampden Sydney College
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

jknezek

Quote from: HSCTiger fan on February 15, 2017, 12:50:49 PM
In 2014 HSC ranked 144th and that ranking, as bad as it may sound, was good enough to win the ODAC.

Yeah, but the HSC offense that year was strong. I don't think another Nash Nance is sitting on the bench or transferring in before this season. We'll see. As it stands, I expect HSC to be mid-pack in the ODAC this year. That's just my way too early thoughts. But as we've seen, the difference between mid-pack and the top is generally just a few players.

HSCTiger fan

Quote from: jknezek on February 16, 2017, 09:50:48 AM
Quote from: HSCTiger fan on February 15, 2017, 12:50:49 PM
In 2014 HSC ranked 144th and that ranking, as bad as it may sound, was good enough to win the ODAC.

Yeah, but the HSC offense that year was strong. I don't think another Nash Nance is sitting on the bench or transferring in before this season. We'll see. As it stands, I expect HSC to be mid-pack in the ODAC this year. That's just my way too early thoughts. But as we've seen, the difference between mid-pack and the top is generally just a few players.

I agree there's no player with Nash's skills. But in 2015 HSC actually ranked higher in offense and defense than in 2014 (Nance's senior year). In 2015, HSC was in the hunt for the ODAC title until the 9th game of the season. The difference between 1st and 4th is typically one game. After last year being in the hunt in the 9th game sounds pretty good to me.
Hampden Sydney College

jknezek

W&L posted 17 "Early Decision" commits today on their instagram. Mostly VA kids, but GA, NC (2), MD (2), TN, and NY showing up. Given most W&L FY classes in camp are in the high 20s to mid 30s, that's a significant chunk if they all decide to play ball.

tigerFanAlso2

TigerFan

Lets come to an agreement to never, never mention the 2016 season again. It's over (Thank God) and the Tigers need to move on to bigger better things.

Jk

Does the commitment info you saw include the HS the kids are attending ? If so, how many from Douglas S. Freeman in Richmond ?

jknezek

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on February 16, 2017, 04:00:26 PM
TigerFan

Jk

Does the commitment info you saw include the HS the kids are attending ? If so, how many from Douglas S. Freeman in Richmond ?

3   Trey Laughlin, Sam Murphy, and Andrew Ryan

tigerFanAlso2

They are the ones I mentioned in an earlier post. Good kids/players, one is a kicker so not really a "player" the other two QB & MLB. QB would have been 3rd generation at VMI put choose another, more expensive, path !!!

jknezek

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on February 16, 2017, 05:50:07 PM
They are the ones I mentioned in an earlier post. Good kids/players, one is a kicker so not really a "player" the other two QB & MLB. QB would have been 3rd generation at VMI put choose another, more expensive, path !!!

I hope they stick around so I can enjoy rooting for them.

tigerFanAlso2

Time will tell if they are good enough to play and/or if W&L is the right fit academically.
I know their HS coach well and he indicates all three to be legitimate prospective D3 Student-Athletes.
I've seen them play on several occasions and I would agree with coaches projection. Would love to have the QB and MLB at HSC, both could play early in their career. 

jknezek

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on February 17, 2017, 11:00:50 AM
Time will tell if they are good enough to play and/or if W&L is the right fit academically.
I know their HS coach well and he indicates all three to be legitimate prospective D3 Student-Athletes.
I've seen them play on several occasions and I would agree with coaches projection. Would love to have the QB and MLB at HSC, both could play early in their career.

That's great news. But my comment about sticking around isn't really related to fit, it's simply the nature of DIII sports. Even W&L, which has a very good retention rate, brings in between 25 and 35 FYs and ends up with between 10 and 17 seniors. Not always because the young men can't play at the level, but just because they decide it is not worth it.

I was, very minimally, recruited to play soccer at W&L. I showed up for the fall practices and, as the coach was quite honest in telling me, learned that I would probably play some as a junior or senior if I stuck it out. I was good enough, if I kept at it, to play eventually in some role, I just didn't have the drive. So after a couple weeks of fall practice we had an amicable parting and I quite happily at various times instead played club soccer, club rugby, worked as a student athletic trainer, reported and edited one of the student newspapers, did the Mock Convention program and magazine, was a dorm counselor, was house manager of my fraternity and probably a few other things I'm forgetting. There is a lot to do on a college campus, and quite often that sport we loved just falls, quite understandably, to a lower priority.

That's why I'm always happy to welcome the FYs. I love to see where they are from and hope they do well. But it really doesn't get me excited until they are on the field.  ;D

tigerFanAlso2

I get it; I have two sons. oldest played 4 years and excelled/second son currently a junior, played two years and stopped due to repeated injuries/fatigue of the sport. enjoys life w/o football.