Best attendance

Started by diehardfan, March 09, 2004, 08:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCF

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on March 26, 2013, 05:05:18 PM
Quote from: NCF on March 26, 2013, 04:52:05 PM
Quote from: frank uible on March 26, 2013, 04:36:46 AM
Is there any particular link between interest in CCIW and interest in the World Cup that might cause a chat room conversation?
That's what I wondered as well, but if it was during the summer-lack of college athletics might have had something to do with it. But (and this is JMHO) soccer is soooo boooring. Also, glad the name is d3boards as "chat"(again, JMHO) makes me think of women's circle. :):):):):)

You're entitled to your (ignorant ;)) opinions, but several regulars in the CCIW are avid soccer fans (I coached youth soccer for many years; Jim Matson [then posting as Hiker Jim] is the moderator of the soccer boards for d3boards.com; Gregory Sager has become an avid fan, at least now that NPU regularly beats Wheaton on the pitch ;D; etc.)

And it will ALWAYS be CCIW Chat in my heart. :)
How's stating an opinion "ignorant"? I stated it was just MY opinion-not that anyone else had to share it. I grew up playing baseball every day in the spring and summer. Even spent a few seasons coaching the sport, however, the only baseball I enjoy watching now is the College  World Series and the Little League baseball/softball World Series.  Anything else, I find boring (that's just me). I find several other sports boring as well, but I wouldn't knock anyone else for ejoying them. I enjoy watching track and a good wrestling dual meet, but I would be willing to bet others find them boring as h@*l. Everyone has their own like and dislikes as far as sporting events-nothing wrong with that. 
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13
CCIW  MEN"S INDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: TOTAL DOMINATION SINCE 2001.
CCIW MEN'S OUTDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: 35
NATIONAL CHAMPIONS: INDOOR TRACK-'89,'10,'11,'12/OUTDOOR TRACK: '89,'94,'98,'00,'10,'11
2013 OAC post season pick-em tri-champion
2015 CCIW Pick-em co-champion

Mr. Ypsi

NCF, just raggin' on ya - hence the wink.

SOME posters on the boards are genuine 'haters' as far as soccer (I could tell you were not in that company).  I only found it compelling once I learned what to watch for, and appreciate the incredible skills it requires to do well (I once shared your opinion of it; Americans don't tend to take kindly to sports where 3-1 is a high scoring match!)  I'm also an avid Tigers fan, but almost never actually watch them; MLB has just gotten SO slow, I can't enjoy it!

NCF

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on March 26, 2013, 06:05:53 PM

SOME posters on the boards are genuine 'haters' as far as soccer (I could tell you were not in that company).  I only found it compelling once I learned what to watch for, and appreciate the incredible skills it requires to do well (I once shared your opinion of it; Americans don't tend to take kindly to sports where 3-1 is a high scoring match!)  I'm also an avid Tigers fan, but almost never actually watch them; MLB has just gotten SO slow, I can't enjoy it!

Sorry, when I post from my phone(old and small) I don't get to see the smiley guys-LOL ;D
NATIONAL CHAMPIONS: INDOOR TRACK-'89,'10,'11,'12/OUTDOOR TRACK: '89,'94,'98,'00,'10,'11

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: NCF on March 26, 2013, 06:24:25 PM

Sorry, when I post from my phone(old and small) I don't get to see the smiley guys-LOL ;D

No need to apologize.  You've given me an excuse to reminisce about my soccer 'career'! ;D

When my older son (now 24) was 5, I was a doting father attending his soccer practices (chasing stray balls, etc.)  The next fall I was officially the assistant coach (though I still didn't know squat about soccer - it hadn't reached central Illinois when I was a kid, aside from a German club next to the Boy Scout camp I worked at).  In the middle of the spring season, the coach moved to Tennessee for a job; boom! I was head coach!  I studied up and watched a lot of soccer (especially the women - I quickly realized that probably none of my kids would EVER be able to do what the men do, but the women play a technically better game anyway). 

A couple of years later (having helped found the area soccer league), I joined a coed over-30 team (supposedly non-competitive, but, trust me, VERY competitive! ::))  It took me the middle of my second season to score my first goal (which I was dumb enough to admit was intended as a pass - fortunately I scored my second only minutes later ;)).  After seven years (during which I learned just how difficult this game really is) I retired after breaking my big toe (which didn't stop me, as I didn't realize until the next day it was actually broken) and having my glasses shattered (which DID stop me) in a five minute stretch, I retired.  Since my retirement came the same week as Wayne Gretzky and John Elway, you may have missed the announcement in your local paper! ;D

I retired from coaching once my younger son (now 21) turned 14.  I could still advise on tactics and strategy (and often did), but could no longer demonstrate moves I wanted them to do (so deferred to those who still could).  My older son is now a successful soccer coach, though my younger son has mostly left the game behind him.

NCF

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on March 26, 2013, 10:31:15 PM
Quote from: NCF on March 26, 2013, 06:24:25 PM

No need to apologize.  You've given me an excuse to reminisce about my soccer 'career'! ;D

When my older son (now 24) was 5, I was a doting father attending his soccer practices (chasing stray balls, etc.)  The next fall I was officially the assistant coach (though I still didn't know squat about soccer - it hadn't reached central Illinois when I was a kid, aside from a German club next to the Boy Scout camp I worked at).  In the middle of the spring season, the coach moved to Tennessee for a job; boom! I was head coach!  I studied up and watched a lot of soccer (especially the women - I quickly realized that probably none of my kids would EVER be able to do what the men do, but the women play a technically better game anyway). 

A couple of years later (having helped found the area soccer league), I joined a coed over-30 team (supposedly non-competitive, but, trust me, VERY competitive! ::))  It took me the middle of my second season to score my first goal (which I was dumb enough to admit was intended as a pass - fortunately I scored my second only minutes later ;)).  After seven years (during which I learned just how difficult this game really is) I retired after breaking my big toe (which didn't stop me, as I didn't realize until the next day it was actually broken) and having my glasses shattered (which DID stop me) in a five minute stretch, I retired.  Since my retirement came the same week as Wayne Gretzky and John Elway, you may have missed the announcement in your local paper! ;D

I retired from coaching once my younger son (now 21) turned 14.  I could still advise on tactics and strategy (and often did), but could no longer demonstrate moves I wanted them to do (so deferred to those who still could).  My older son is now a successful soccer coach, though my younger son has mostly left the game behind him.
That's quite a story! And yes I did miss the announcement :). Even more interesting-your oldest son is as old as my twins and your younger son is the same age as my son. None of them ever played soccer-the three oldest girls played volleyball, basketball and softball until high school. Then they ran cross-country, the oldest also stayed with softball. My son played baseball, basketball, volleyball, football and wrestled until high school and continued with ftball, wrestling and added track. The youngest nagged me to sign her up for wrestling when she was little, so she could spend more time with her brother-kids :):)-she opted for cheer instead.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on March 26, 2013, 05:05:18 PM
Quote from: NCF on March 26, 2013, 04:52:05 PM
Quote from: frank uible on March 26, 2013, 04:36:46 AM
Is there any particular link between interest in CCIW and interest in the World Cup that might cause a chat room conversation?
That's what I wondered as well, but if it was during the summer-lack of college athletics might have had something to do with it. But (and this is JMHO) soccer is soooo boooring. Also, glad the name is d3boards as "chat"(again, JMHO) makes me think of women's circle. :):):):):)

You're entitled to your (ignorant ;)) opinions, but several regulars in the CCIW are avid soccer fans (I coached youth soccer for many years; Jim Matson [then posting as Hiker Jim] is the moderator of the soccer boards for d3boards.com; Gregory Sager has become an avid fan, at least now that NPU regularly beats Wheaton on the pitch ;D; etc.)

And it will ALWAYS be CCIW Chat in my heart. :)

Actually, I was never really a soccer hater -- although I did find the lack of scoring annoying (it's still not my favorite aspect of the sport). And, while my growing interest in the sport is directly tied to NPU's success, it really has more to do with the fact that the Vikings play it with a skill and speed that showcases the sport and its many intricacies to its best advantage. The fact that the Vikings are now eyeball-to-eyeball with mighty Wheaton and have earned enough grudging respect from the Wheaties to be considered their soccer archrival is merely a nice bonus. ;)
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Ralph Turner

Quote from: NCF on March 26, 2013, 04:55:53 PM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on March 23, 2013, 11:16:02 PM
Thanks to Pat Coleman for all that he has done for D-III athletics.  For me it has been a great 13+ years.  The first time I can recall a "D3" website was the 1999-2000 school year, and especially HSU beating McMurry in football, 63-28, to clinch the ASC, again, and then McMurry Men's Elite 8 and Women's Sweet 16 basketball teams in 1999-2000.

#25,000
Will be keeping tabs on McMurry men's track-hopefully continued success in D2.
Our shot putter finished 3rd in the University Division at the Texas Relays last week.

The men finshed second in the NCCAA Men's Indoors.

Azusa Pacific looks to the competition in the NCCAA.

Coach Barbara Crousen and the men sat on the  Michigan bench at Jerry World (Cowboys Stadium) during the Sweet 16 as honored by the NCAA for winning the 2012 Outdoor title.

Thanks for asking.  Coach Crousen is a wonderful woman.  I wish that I could have run for her.  (She is just old enough to have been a newby grad asst or my asst coach back before Title IX.  We had an AAU Women's Hurdler who was incredible in college when I was there!)

NCF

Quote from: Ralph Turner on April 02, 2013, 12:03:09 PM
Quote from: NCF on March 26, 2013, 04:55:53 PM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on March 23, 2013, 11:16:02 PM
Thanks to Pat Coleman for all that he has done for D-III athletics.  For me it has been a great 13+ years.  The first time I can recall a "D3" website was the 1999-2000 school year, and especially HSU beating McMurry in football, 63-28, to clinch the ASC, again, and then McMurry Men's Elite 8 and Women's Sweet 16 basketball teams in 1999-2000.

#25,000
Will be keeping tabs on McMurry men's track-hopefully continued success in D2.
Our shot putter finished 3rd in the University Division at the Texas Relays last week.

The men finshed second in the NCCAA Men's Indoors.

Azusa Pacific looks to the competition in the NCCAA.

Coach Barbara Crousen and the men sat on the  Michigan bench at Jerry World (Cowboys Stadium) during the Sweet 16 as honored by the NCAA for winning the 2012 Outdoor title.

Thanks for asking.  Coach Crousen is a wonderful woman.  I wish that I could have run for her.  (She is just old enough to have been a newby grad asst or my asst coach back before Title IX.  We had an AAU Women's Hurdler who was incredible in college when I was there!)
Thanks for the info-I was watching for them on tfrrs. The Texas relays must  have been their first meet. Did the freshman hurdler from last season transfer?

Flying Dutch Fan

Forgive my foray into basketball attendance, but hey what else is there to post about:

From the MIAA website:

MIAA Leads Division III In Men's Hoops Attendance for 22nd Straight Year; Hope, Calvin 1-2

The MIAA continues to be the dominant Division III conference in America when it comes to men's basketball attendance.

The MIAA led all Division III conferences in the country in attendance for the 22nd consecutive year, averaging 923 fans a game for 88 home dates during the 2012-13 season. The College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin (CCIW) finished a distant second with an average attendance of 772 fans per contest.

MIAA members Hope and Calvin finished one-two in attendance for the season. Hope won the Division III team attendance title for the 11th year in a row with an average attendance of 2,748 fans per game at DeVos Fieldhouse. Calvin averaged 1,949 fans per game at Van Noord Arena, a 39 percent increase from a year ago, in moving up from fourth to second among Division III schools.

And then they tweeted this:

Today's Fast Fact: D3 men's attendance champ Hope had a higher average attendance that 180 D1 schools last year. #miaa #whyd3 #d3hoops

and this:

Among the D1s that drew fewer fans than Hope: U-D, Oakland, EMU, CMU, Miami (OH), Harvard, Yale, Navy, Army, & Fla. Gulf Coast #miaa # whyd3

Here is the link to attendance data for last season:

http://static.psbin.com/t/l/2qrqt0qrbynwz9/2013_Division_III_MBB_attendance.pdf
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

John Gleich

UWSP Men's Basketball

National Champions: 2015, 2010, 2005, 2004

NCAA appearances: 2018, '15, '14, '13, '12, '11, '10, '09, '08, '07, '05, '04, '03, '00, 1997

WIAC/WSUC Champs: 2015, '14, '13, '11, '09, '07, '05, '03, '02, '01, '00, 1993, '92, '87, '86, '85, '84, '83, '82, '69, '61, '57, '48, '42, '37, '36, '35, '33, '18

Twitter: @JohnGleich

Mr. Ypsi

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: John Gleich on November 23, 2013, 09:12:29 PM

Is that a milestone?

I hit 7,000 three different times; I celebrated every one of them.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Greek Tragedy

I might be a post late, but....

HAPPY 10,000 TO ME!!!!
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on December 04, 2013, 07:39:28 PM
I might be a post late, but....

HAPPY 10,000 TO ME!!!!

You beat me.  I'll get there this year for sure, but not quite yet.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

sac

I blew my 11,000th, so here's 11,002