BB: WIAC: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by BDB, December 30, 2005, 09:19:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

Quote from: cubs on May 19, 2018, 08:12:58 PM
Another game, another WIAC victory (now 5-0) as Whitewater knocks off Tyler-Texas 8-2 to advance to the Winner's Bracket Final on Sunday.

The WIAC could be three wins away (UWO one and Whitewater two) from having two representatives at the final D3 College World Series at Fox Cities Stadium.
The Baseball gods are aware!

cubs

Quote from: Ralph Turner on May 19, 2018, 09:37:14 PM
Quote from: cubs on May 19, 2018, 08:12:58 PM
Another game, another WIAC victory (now 5-0) as Whitewater knocks off Tyler-Texas 8-2 to advance to the Winner's Bracket Final on Sunday.

The WIAC could be three wins away (UWO one and Whitewater two) from having two representatives at the final D3 College World Series at Fox Cities Stadium.
The Baseball gods are aware!
Hence, the use of the word "could!!!"
2008-09 and 2012-13 WIAC Fantasy League Champion

2008-09 WIAC Pick'Em Tri-Champion

cubs

So in a matter of about 8 hours, the WIAC goes from 5-0, to 5-3, as UWO is swept by Concordia-Chicago and Whitewater loses the Winner's Bracket Final to Rhodes.

It could be 5-4 in a couple more hours too, as Whitewater currently trails UT-Tyler 3-1 in the 5th inning of an elimination game.

Pretty disappointing day thus far for WIAC baseball fans...

Edit: And it ends up being an 0-4 day for the WIAC today... Neither UWO or Whitewater did much offensively on the day as they combined to score just 7 runs in 36 innings of play. I'm sure those in charge of things at Fox Cities Stadium were looking forward to the thought of two Wisconsin teams making it to the final World Series in Appleton. Seeing both teams get eliminated today had to be a "punch in the gut."

Greek Tragedy

Yeah. That's pretty rough. They would've liked them both in especially since he World Series is moving away from Appleton.

Also interesting to me, since I really don't follow baseball, that they are doing the Super Regional format next year.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

badgerwarhawk

Daytona Bryden, Cal Aldridge both named first team All Americans.  Bryden the national player of the year.  Kaska named to third team.

http://www.d3baseball.com/awards/all-americans/d3baseball-allamericans-2018
"Just think twice is my only advice."

cubs

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on May 21, 2018, 09:16:59 AM
Yeah. That's pretty rough. They would've liked them both in especially since he World Series is moving away from Appleton.

Also interesting to me, since I really don't follow baseball, that they are doing the Super Regional format next year.
I for one am looking forward to that change!!! 

I am a firm believer in the "Best of Three" format showing who the better team is over the long haul, but maybe I am in the minority? 

Jack Parkman

Quote from: cubs on May 24, 2018, 01:14:59 PM
Quote from: Greek Tragedy on May 21, 2018, 09:16:59 AM

I for one am looking forward to that change!!! 

I am a firm believer in the "Best of Three" format showing who the better team is over the long haul, but maybe I am in the minority?

I am with you 100%, as well as going back to the 4-team regional.  Even D1 teams would have a very tough time with a 6 or 8 team regional, not to mention the Northern D3 teams that play 40 games over about 10 weeks.

Greek Tragedy

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_NCAA_Division_III_Baseball_Tournament

So, reading this correctly, there are still only 8 regionals (in Super Regionals format). 8 teams in each regional split into two groups of four. Double elimination and the winners of each group playing a Best of FIVE with a spot in the World Series at stake.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

BigPoppa

Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Jack Parkman

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on May 25, 2018, 11:44:46 AM
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_NCAA_Division_III_Baseball_Tournament

So, reading this correctly, there are still only 8 regionals (in Super Regionals format). 8 teams in each regional split into two groups of four. Double elimination and the winners of each group playing a Best of FIVE with a spot in the World Series at stake.

There might be 8 regionals, but there should be 16 sites.  The only regional that will require flights is the West.  I don't see how/why they would have 8 teams at a regional (split into 2 different tournaments) only to play a best of 5 a week later.  I think this Wiki entry is not correct.

Just Bill

It will be just like D-III softball. This Wiki entry is not accurate.

16 regional sites, most have four teams a couple will have three.

8 super-regionals with two teams who play a best-of-3 series.

Finals remains just like it is now.
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: Just Bill on May 25, 2018, 03:48:19 PM
It will be just like D-III softball. This Wiki entry is not accurate.

16 regional sites, most have four teams a couple will have three.

8 super-regionals with two teams who play a best-of-3 series.

Finals remains just like it is now.

So not everything on the internet is true??  ??? :o ;D :P
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

badgerwarhawk

WIAC in the Northwoods League

Colin Tremel (UW-O): Duluth
Jordan Wilson (UW-St): Eau Claire
Mason McMahon (UW-L): La Crosse
Jensen Martin (UW-O): Green Bay
Cabe Cuddie (UW-SP): Kenosha
Alex Stodola (UW-SP): Wisconsin
Tommy Duddleston (UW-SP): Wisconsin
Payton Nelson (UW-SP): Wisconsin
Mike Aiello (UW-W): Lakeshore
Nick Schrader (UW-W): Madison

Both Rentz and Jones are listed on Lakeshore's roster but both are graduating seniors so I was surprised to see them on the roster.  Temporary I assume.
"Just think twice is my only advice."

Baseball Geek

Quote from: badgerwarhawk on May 29, 2018, 03:17:00 PM
WIAC in the Northwoods League

Colin Tremel (UW-O): Duluth
Jordan Wilson (UW-St): Eau Claire
Mason McMahon (UW-L): La Crosse
Jensen Martin (UW-O): Green Bay
Cabe Cuddie (UW-SP): Kenosha
Alex Stodola (UW-SP): Wisconsin
Tommy Duddleston (UW-SP): Wisconsin
Payton Nelson (UW-SP): Wisconsin
Mike Aiello (UW-W): Lakeshore
Nick Schrader (UW-W): Madison

Both Rentz and Jones are listed on Lakeshore's roster but both are graduating seniors so I was surprised to see them on the roster.  Temporary I assume.

While I understand that pitchers can play the summer following graduation ... perhaps they are hoping for one last chance to be seen/signed, especially since both were expected to be selected last year? Also, Aldridge (UWW) had been announced as a returning player for the Rivets, but now his name doesn't appear on their roster.