MBB: MAC Freedom League

Started by ljk, March 14, 2005, 09:28:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Who cares if they got transfers? As you indicated (I think), it happens at a lot of schools especially in this era where the costs of schools is a big deal to many (DII scholarships aren't much to talk about).

What I don't understand is why you say "they fashion themselves as a school that wouldn't go down that path"?

I do know that while I know many coaches who don't look for transfers or recruit with that in mind, they aren't turning players down who contact them. I also find there is nothing obvious about the reasons for transfers. I always find different reasons. Sydney Moss going to Thomas More had very little to do with Thomas More.

York being upfront about their tuition costs is probably a huge selling point for transfers, too. :)
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on December 09, 2019, 10:18:04 PM
Who cares if they got transfers? As you indicated (I think), it happens at a lot of schools especially in this era where the costs of schools is a big deal to many (DII scholarships aren't much to talk about).

What I don't understand is why you say "they fashion themselves as a school that wouldn't go down that path"?

I do know that while I know many coaches who don't look for transfers or recruit with that in mind, they aren't turning players down who contact them. I also find there is nothing obvious about the reasons for transfers. I always find different reasons. Sydney Moss going to Thomas More had very little to do with Thomas More.

York being upfront about their tuition costs is probably a huge selling point for transfers, too. :)

I have zero issues with transfers..................and believe that you will see more and more of it (especially from CC's and JUCO's in the years to come). My comment is to a few on the board who do have issues with transfers. DelVal brought a boatload in as the result of the number of seniors they lost, in addition to two underclassmen. Many conferences have upped their transfer game, including the newest MAC team come next year, York. I'm not sure the NESCAC will ever have have any reason to partake, but between my comment(s) and yours, I hope that those who have issues with transfers will now cool their jets. :)

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

We have seen transfering in the NESCAC, I am just not sure it makes as much news. Sometimes the legacy of a school plays a role. But a great example I just ran into with soccer, sometimes a player feels they want to be on a particular team but the coaching staff makes it known that they don't think they will fit in or have a role. So the player goes to another school for varying reasons (probably also to prove a point) while also eyeing the program they want to be with. When they see an opportunity or the coaching staff finally realizes what that player has in potential and skill, a transfer takes place.

Messiah's women's defense is far better to have Foster in place in the center but it took a year or so at Lancaster Bible, and admission by the coaching staff they were wrong, for the Messiah aspect to happen.

Sometime I think transfers want to be elsewhere and it happens for them. That's how I can see transferring working at schools like the NESCAC.

The Merrimack to York does not fit that mold as scholarships was likely the biggest reason the student ended up at Merrimack. The fact Merrimack has gone to D1 where full-scholarships are guaranteed in basketball (and football; other sports they can be split up as needed) probably meant the student was suddenly without a scholarship of any kind (partial likely, how much unknown) and transferring to a place they could play became a real-life need.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on December 10, 2019, 03:00:01 PM
We have seen transfering in the NESCAC, I am just not sure it makes as much news. Sometimes the legacy of a school plays a role. But a great example I just ran into with soccer, sometimes a player feels they want to be on a particular team but the coaching staff makes it known that they don't think they will fit in or have a role. So the player goes to another school for varying reasons (probably also to prove a point) while also eyeing the program they want to be with. When they see an opportunity or the coaching staff finally realizes what that player has in potential and skill, a transfer takes place.

Messiah's women's defense is far better to have Foster in place in the center but it took a year or so at Lancaster Bible, and admission by the coaching staff they were wrong, for the Messiah aspect to happen.

Sometime I think transfers want to be elsewhere and it happens for them. That's how I can see transferring working at schools like the NESCAC.

The Merrimack to York does not fit that mold as scholarships was likely the biggest reason the student ended up at Merrimack. The fact Merrimack has gone to D1 where full-scholarships are guaranteed in basketball (and football; other sports they can be split up as needed) probably meant the student was suddenly without a scholarship of any kind (partial likely, how much unknown) and transferring to a place they could play became a real-life need.

Excellent points as always Dave!!

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: jmcozenlaw on December 10, 2019, 08:22:41 PM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on December 10, 2019, 03:00:01 PM

Excellent points as always Dave!!

You also have to remember with the more competitive academic institutions, there are A LOT fewer slots for transfers than for freshmen, so if you're an athlete (with whatever admissions encouragement by coaches is allowed, which is none at most of the NESCAC schools), you're much less likely to get in as a transfer.  Those schools already have issues getting all their recruits admitted as freshman.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The break for the holidays always has plenty of games to enjoy. It also has it's handful of results that make one scratch their head or an upset to enjoy. This holiday "season" saw plenty of all of that. Top 25 teams were not safe. Nearly all seemed to lose. There were results every day that made Division III coaches, fans, and many others take note.

Sunday night Hoopsville returns to the air from the holidays with plenty to talk about, but not enough time. We chat with teams that impressed, got a big win, continue to stay unscathed, and may end up in the new Top 25 polls. We also try and read the Top 25 tea leaves to figure out how voters may fill out their ballots on Monday (hint: it might be anyone's guess).

While we try and cover all Division III basketball news, now that we have entered January we split up the regions to cover as many teams as possible each week. Sundays the regions are Atlantic, Central, Northeast, and South.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. You can watch Sunday's show LIVE in the following ways:
- Main page: www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville
- Show page: http://bit.ly/36stzBs (or www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2019-20/jan5)
- Facebook Live Simulcast: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville (only the first 45 minutes aired; may have had a copyright problem haha)
- YouTube Simulcast: www.youtube.com/d3hoopsville
- Team1 Sports: www.team1sports.com/Hoopsville/
- Team1 Sports app (Android TV, Amazon Fire, Apple TV, Roku) - you will either find it under the "live" section or search for the Hoopsville channel

All men's basketball coaches are part of the NABC Coach's Corner. All guests appear on the BlueFrame Technology Hoopsville Hotline.

If you have questions about Division III basketball, feel free to send them and we will answer them on a the show. Email them to hoopsville@d3hoops.com or use any of the social media options.

Guests Schedule (order subject to change):
- Tom Palombo, No. 21 Guilford men's coach
- Bobby Hurley, Stevens men's coach
- Lynn Hersey, Smith women's coach
- Bob Quillman & Ryan Scott, Top 25 Double-Take

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts, choose your favorite avenue to listen and/or subscribe via the the following four avenues (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

We also have the podcast now on Tune-In and others coming. We will update them once we have better abilities to do so.

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/d3hoopsville

kate

The Del Val games with Misericordia postponed from last night will now be played tonight up in Dallas (at Miseri) - game times 5 and 7.

jmcozenlaw

With CCHoopster and Kate on sabbatical (actually Kate is waiting for DVU Spring Football), this board has just about dried up. The DVU coaches need to have a recruiting class like they've never had before. Injuries doomed the women from the start (or before the start) and the men's team (I've heard, as I haven't seen them in person) lacks three critical components that have been a staple of the program since Coach Casey first turned the program around over a decade ago................outside shooters, quick ball handlers and overall athletes. And without the athletes, pressure defense is tough. I wish them luck in finding what they both need for 2020-2021.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

bill

Just got word that former long time FDU coach Roger Kindel has passed away. My prayers go out to his family.
"To build may have to be the slow and laborious task of years. To destroy can be the thoughtless act of a single day."

jmcozenlaw

The MAC shuts down for the fall semester. Scheduling for the winter sports not to start before 2021...............should be quite the clusterfudge. I hope that they extend the hoops season out by 4-6 weeks.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

The d3 management council has already changed the way seasons are counted. It appears winter sports can begin oct 4 with no set end date, but they can only use the same number of days as a typical season (something around 120). Allows for lots of flexibility and could encompass an alternative schedule if basketball chooses to do that.

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on July 24, 2020, 10:53:09 AM
The d3 management council has already changed the way seasons are counted. It appears winter sports can begin oct 4 with no set end date, but they can only use the same number of days as a typical season (something around 120). Allows for lots of flexibility and could encompass an alternative schedule if basketball chooses to do that.

Ryan, did you mean Jan 4 given that many schools are shutting it down until 2021?

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I believe it's Oct 1st actually. Schools that are willing can do practices, I guess.