MBB: NEWMAC

Started by nehoops4life, March 03, 2005, 10:39:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hugenerd

Quote from: clarkie on March 04, 2009, 10:35:15 PM
Hugenerd,

I know you say you can't have it all, but I have to say, relax. Brian Vayda was by far the best rookie in the league and the only real spark the second half of the season for Clark. I went to the Clark vs. MIT game and yes it could possibly have been due to Johnson scoring upwards of 40 points and Bartolotta being his normal fantastic self (I have said on this blog before that he deserves all the credit in the world, he is GOOD), but I have no idea who this Jamie player is, and I like to think I keep up with what's going on in the league. No need to defend yourself as you like to do, you make good points. But please, let Vayda have his moment.

A HUGE congrats to Coach Anderson of MIT. Absolutely always a class act and am glad to see that he put together such a successful team despite not having a big enough roster for an intersquad scrimmage (even with no substitutes). I have always been impressed watching him from the sidelines and enjoyed seeing such a poised leader coaching MIT (even if I am a Cougar fan myself).

Let's go MIT!

Vayda is definitely deserving.  I was just naming who I thought was probably the second best candidate.  Just to fill you in, Karraker scored 11 ppg this year for MIT, was second in the league in 3PT% and 3FGM (both behind Bartolotta) and 11th in overall FG%.  He was the 3rd leading scorer for MIT, behind Bartolotta and B. Johnson.  He made big 3s down the stretch for MIT in both the quarterfinal and semifinal NEWMAC tourney wins.

remsleep

Hey, how come I wasn't told not to discuss it?

Hugenerd

Quote from: remsleep on March 04, 2009, 11:25:54 PM
Hey, how come I wasn't told not to discuss it?

I apparently dont have as much authority as you.  I have the authority to know but not to distribute.  I also heard about it before the interviews actually occured with the 3 seniors so maybe they wanted to wait for the interviews to actually happen before spreading the word too much.

remsleep

Of course, my previous post was simply laughing at myself.  I can assure you, Hugenerd, that EVERYONE has more authority that I do.   

Going to the game Friday?    Anchormen will have the advantage of playing this on their home floor.  Hope MIT will send some kids like they did during the NEWMAC tournament in Worcester.  Perhaps Mr. Kohl could buy the time of seven or eight hundred people and send them to Providence.

Hugenerd

Quote from: remsleep on March 04, 2009, 11:53:21 PM
Of course, my previous post was simply laughing at myself.  I can assure you, Hugenerd, that EVERYONE has more authority that I do.   

Going to the game Friday?    Anchormen will have the advantage of playing this on their home floor.  Hope MIT will send some kids like they did during the NEWMAC tournament in Worcester.  Perhaps Mr. Kohl could buy the time of seven or eight hundred people and send them to Providence.

Do you mean Mr. Koch?

I cant make it because of family obligations but I am going to try to watch online.  I hope they get it done, but I hear RIC is pretty tought.

WPI89

Massd3fan

Unfortunately I am down in CT now.  I have seen only 2 games this year.  Coincidentaly the Clark win at home and the horrible loss at Clark.

It was 2 completely different WPI teams - they seemed more comfortable out on the break and taking (of course you always look better when you are making them) shots early on the clock.  The second game they were very methodical and never looked comfortable.

That being said - they have won games in the 50's and 60's so I am not sure.

One home win at least sure would be nice!

H-NERD - sorry about misquoting you.  Keep up the Jimmy B stuff -- I hope he goes off against RIC.

T990

"we've already found the best Cinderella story of March Madness this year"

MIT basketball getting big time ESPN coverage:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=darcy/090305

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/index

Anyone know the details about the ESPN segment on MIT tonight?  like is it on Sportscenter? or what time, etc?

Hugenerd

Quote from: T990 on March 05, 2009, 02:30:20 PM
"we've already found the best Cinderella story of March Madness this year"

MIT basketball getting big time ESPN coverage:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=darcy/090305

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/index

Anyone know the details about the ESPN segment on MIT tonight?  like is it on Sportscenter? or what time, etc?

From what I hear it will be on sportscenter tonight, but I dont know any other specifics.

Hugenerd

I now hear it is likely the 6:00 (early) sportscenter that will have it.

Hugenerd

I now hear MIT may have been bumped to ESPNU.

WPI89

There was just too much news yesterday (AROD) for a feel good story like MIT.

Hugenerd

Quote from: WPI89 on March 06, 2009, 08:03:16 AM
There was just too much news yesterday (AROD) for a feel good story like MIT.

Yeah, I have been trying to find the clip on the video archive but it isnt up so I guess it isnt going to be archived.

massd3fan

Hugenerd,

Good Luck To MIT tonight, I am planning to go to the WPI game tonight. (Convinced my wife that we can call it a date by going out to dinner after the game!).  I hope to see some of the 2nd game too, but if one is all i get, I have to take that and be happy...LOL

Hugenerd

Quote from: massd3fan on March 06, 2009, 12:02:39 PM
Hugenerd,

Good Luck To MIT tonight, I am planning to go to the WPI game tonight. (Convinced my wife that we can call it a date by going out to dinner after the game!).  I hope to see some of the 2nd game too, but if one is all i get, I have to take that and be happy...LOL

Fill us in on how it goes.  I wont be able to make the trip to RIC but I am going to try to watch online.

Hugenerd

MIT UPSETS RIC ON THEIR HOME COURT

Bartolotta had an awful game in regulation, but took over in OT.  Going 2-2 from 3 (2-2 from the field overall) and 4-4 from the line, scoring 10.  He finished the game 27 points, 8 rebounds, 3 assists and 3 steals.

Billy Johnson played HUGE (before fouling out with 1 minute to go in OT).  He 7-11 from the floor (3-4 from 3), scoring 19 points, adding 11 rebounds, 3 assists and 2 blocks.  Brad Gampel had 7 assists.

Bobby Bailey paced RIC with 16 points.

Unsung hero for MIT was Billy Bender.  He scored the last 4 points of regulation, going 4-4 at the line, to put MIT up by 2 in the final seconds.  RIC was bailed out on a phatom foul call on Bartolotta, and RIC was able to convert to send it to OT.

Bartolotta really played bad for about 40 minutes, but had an amazing final 5 to carry the team in OT.  Everyone really stepped up in OT.  Johnson had a nice finish, Karraker made a 3, Gampel made FTs, Bartolotta played like himself finally, and everyone took care of the ball.

MIT was really plagued by turnovers, committing 28, but were able to turnover RIC 23 times.  RIC also outrebounded MIT 48-36, including 23 offensive boards for RIC (RIC shot 27 more shots than MIT), but MIT held RIC to 36% FT shooting while MIT shot 46% from the field and shot 44% from 3.

The difference in the game was FT shooting down the stretch and 3-pointers.  MIT scored 12 more points than RIC from 3 (+9 in OT) and were +11 points at the FT line (MIT shot more free throws because RIC fouled the last minute and a half of OT, but MIT shot over 73% from the line, while RIC shot just 50%).

MIT was also able to exert their tempo for long stretches in the game, having long deliberate posessions, which kept the score low (53-53 at the end of regulation).  They then exploded in OT, scoring 20 points in 5 minutes (they scored 22 points in the first half and 33 points in the second half).

I give all the credit in the world to Coach Anderson and his staff, they had a game plan, stuck to it, and it came through for them.  Who would have thought that despite being outshot 75-48, committing 28 turnovers, and giving up 23 offensive rebounds, they would be able to pull out this game (especially with Bartolotta not playing like himself for most of the game).

If they show up tomorrow, they will have a very good chance to move on to the round of 16.  I look forward to it.

In other action, WPI absolutely destroys Husson 86-57.  Good night for the NEWMAC.