WBB: Landmark Conference

Started by Dave 'd-mac' McHugh, February 20, 2007, 07:24:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saratoga

Thanks, Ronk.

From looking at the video highlights of these kids, it's apparent they all can run the court, create & shoot.

If the new coach is looking to play more up-tempo, then he's off to a great start filling the roster with kids that fit that style.

Haven't seen any video of the post/forward from Syracuse so time will tell and I'll keep an eye on her stats throughout the year.

These kids really look good and come from great high school & AAU programs.

With another year of personal growth, playing time & basketball maturity, they are going to be a truly great first year class.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: NEPAFAN on October 17, 2019, 02:49:45 PM
Just to pile on, I just saw a reference on twitter that Scranton was looking at a 2021 kid on the men's side. It certainly has made things more interesting.

Interesting considering coaches can't contact players in DIII until midway through their junior seasons (assuming they rise to seniors). January is their first chance. Maybe there are other indications, but this seems a bit early for someone to claim a DIII school is looking at them.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

ronk

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on October 29, 2019, 03:28:34 PM
Just to pile on, I just saw a reference on twitter that Scranton was looking at a 2021 kid on the men's side. It certainly has made things more interesting.

Interesting considering coaches can't contact players in DIII until midway through their junior seasons (assuming they rise to seniors). January is their first chance. Maybe there are other indications, but this seems a bit early for someone to claim a DIII school is looking at them.

It's the end of the sophomore high school year now; it was changed 3? years ago.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: ronk on October 29, 2019, 03:56:21 PM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on October 29, 2019, 03:28:34 PM

It's the end of the sophomore high school year now; it was changed 3? years ago.

What changed three years ago was that coaches could start talking to them mid-Junior year. I was at the convention when it was voted in. I'll have to check to see if they moved it again, but I didn't think they had. The discussion at the time was this gave coaches the chance to talk to eventual rising juniors while they were still in high school instead of waiting until the junior year was over. However, they also didn't want to become like DI and start talking too soon - keeping the virtues of DIII.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

saratoga

First of all, the posts are done by the kids on their accounts, not through the school.

Additionally, these students are all Seniors right now on the women's side.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: saratoga on October 29, 2019, 04:13:47 PM

First of all, the posts are done by the kids on their accounts, not through the school.

Additionally, these students are all Seniors right now on the women's side.

Oh ... I know they are done through the kids. I didn't assume otherwise.

You said a "2021 kid) - so I figured you were talking juniors. What is your 2021 reference in reference to?

saratoga

I know of no 2021 player.

I believe NEPAFAN made that reference.

Rofrog

Well another year amongst us and the preseason poll should be coming out.I say Scranton will be ranked number 1 because of the talent they have coming back they lost Bridgett Mann but they also picked up talent throughout the a...!This team will be better then last year in my eyes with coaches style and defense thry should be tough!Cant wait to see you young ladies at Gwynedd Mercy we will be there.Ronk,Nepafan,Saratoga what's your thought 9n ladies be number one

ronk

Lady Royals garner most first-place votes in the preseason poll but are slotted 3rd behind Amherst and Tufts when all the votes are considered. I figured it would be among those 3 for #1. Bowdoin got 4 1st-place votes, but they lost too much to justify that.

gordonmann

Top 25 released with some familiar names atop the rankings:

https://www.d3hoops.com/top25/women/2019-20/preseason

This was the toughest preseason ballot in a long time. I considered about six teams for No. 1 before picking Tufts, narrowly over Scranton and Amherst.

ronk

#5 commit to the Lady Royals:

Mackenzie Steele  6-2  P/F  Susquehanna(PA)    JB Hoops

Saw her AAU team play because they had a good player who committed to Penn a few days ago but I don't remember Mackenzie's play, in particular. No video currently on Mackenzie but I suspect she'll be on her teammate's video.

Tim the Enchanter

Well, I think it's pretty evident that DiPillo is a strong recruiter.  Hopefully he's just as strong a coach.

The Landmark Conference thinks he's going to keep the Lady Royals on top:  https://athletics.scranton.edu/sports/wbkb/2019-20/releases/20191107hk8rxh

Rofrog

:D 3 basketball opened tonight Moravian beating Dickinson and One of Scrantons opponents next week -Ursinus losing opening night.Will see you at Gwynedd Ladies next weekend!

saratoga

Rofrog:

Watch out for the deer down there...there's a reason it's called Buck's County.  ;)

Nice to see the guys start the season off with a W and big congrats to Coach Woodruff, who picks up his first D-1 coaching victory last night as Bucknell crushes Monmouth.

Rofrog

Yes you are exactly right Saratoga about the deer.Yes congrats To Trevor on his first d1 win with many more coming!Opening night wasnt good to him though getting crushed by Virginia.But like Saratoga said they will be very competitive in conference play!