BB: NCAC: North Coast Athletic Conference

Started by woosterbooster, December 29, 2005, 03:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasDad

Denison starts Fall Practice Monday. A bunch of freshmen trying out. Lots of pitchers and OF as best one can tell from afar (20ish at last count). Big Red Weekend is at the end of the month, so we will get to see some intrasquad games then. Looking forward to it but no more so than the son who is ready to get back after it.
Good luck to all as the Fall Season gets underway.

Bishopleftiesdad

Tryouts for OWU started Tuesday.  Son says a lot of the new guys are lefty hitters and throwing position players. Sounds like their will be a lot of competition for OF and first base. Going up for the first intrasquad scrimmage saturday. The first few weekendds are not reaaly played like games. Mostly it is hitters seeing live pitching and vice versa for pitchers. I don't expect to see son pitch much until the red and black series. But I am interested to see the new crop of ball players and to see how the players have progressed over the summer.
It is always a good time. Ibget to see some baseball and see parents I have not seen since last spring.

Pops33

Does the NCAA allow the colleges to play each other in the fall?  If so, does anyone know of any games that have been scheduled?

Bishopleftiesdad

Pops
Schools are allowed one competition with another school once in the Fall. For instance the last two years Marietta and Cortland played a home and away series. Last year was at Cortland. I think it might even allow for several schools to get together at one site and play a round robin, but I am not positive about that.
I am not aware of any schools in the mid east that do it on a regular basis except maybe Marietta. I would go to the OAC board and see if they have any info. I do not see anything on their site.

TexasDad

FYI, Denison is scheduled to play Marietta in October.

ADL70

These are considered exhibitions, if I remember correctly.

This raises the question: why can't baseball play a split schedule the way tennis does?

Rather than try to play games in the north in February and early March, September and October would provide better weather.  Keep the number of games and number of weeks of play and practice the same, but have some of those weeks and games in the fall as well as the spring.

Right now CWRU tennis plays in September and then from March thru May.
SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

Bishopleftiesdad

Quote from: ADL70 on September 13, 2014, 10:41:01 AM
These are considered exhibitions, if I remember correctly.

This raises the question: why can't baseball play a split schedule the way tennis does?

Rather than try to play games in the north in February and early March, September and October would provide better weather.  Keep the number of games and number of weeks of play and practice the same, but have some of those weeks and games in the fall as well as the spring.

Right now CWRU tennis plays in September and then from March thru May.
I believe the B1G has suggested this at the D1 level. I am not sure how I feel about it. The fall is about learning your team, and seeing what the new guys can do. Also the Freshman are working on to adjusting to college, not traveling and trying to compete. I know the football players and other fall sports do it.  Your team in the spring might not be the same team you had in the fall. At some of the schools you lose some players to academics after the fall semester.
Would this happen nationally or by conference decision. I am not sure the schools in the south and west would be interested. Would the schools from the cold climates be at a disadvantage, playing only 15 - 20 games in the spring, before starting regionals? You would also lose some of the dual sports athletes.  A player could no longer play football and Baseball.
I don't necessarily disagree with you ADL, there would just be a lot to work out.

Bishopleftiesdad

I was at the first intrasquad yesterday. Son did not pitch, but I did not expect him to. It was nice to see some pitchers comming back from injury. I also was very pleased with yhe freshman pitching. One lefty from Ca. Looked very good. We had another lefty from closer to by, that did very well.
It was good to see the parents from last year, and meet some new people. The scrimmage was run well and we got to see quite a few of the new guys.

Bishopleftiesdad

How is everyones fall going. Looks like OWU's pitching will be deeper this year. Hard to know about the offense.

Bishopleftiesdad

ADL, I learned that Case is not on our schedule this year. Too bad. Good luck to the Sartans this year.

ADL70

I was disappointed to see that as well.

CWRU is scheduled to play Manchester and Heidelberg  in Chilly-cothy in Feb.  Hope we can get those games in.

With NYU coming in the UAA tourney will no longer be double round robin.  Eight games in eight days for the Spartans.

Spartans need to find a SS.

Good luck to the Bishops as well.
SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

Jim Dixon

Quote from: ADL70 on October 15, 2014, 07:58:26 AM

Spartans need to find a SS.

Good luck to the Bishops as well.

Maybe case will find one in their Xmas stocking.

Bishopleftiesdad

Speaking of finding players in Christmas stockings, I was told we have another 2 Freshman coming in that were not able to enroll in Fall semester but will be enrolling in Spring.

I know it does not happen very often at OWU, this is the first time in the four years my son has been at school. I know that Gronski at Case did this. He was a walk on at A D1, After Fall ball at the D1 he went to some camps and caught on at Case. That was a great catch for them. It used to happen more often at OWU. Ingles would find or D1 drop downs would find his program.

How often does this happen this happen in other programs? How many are D1 drop downs, how many were just unable to enroll in the Fall?

Bishopleftiesdad

OWU sent out a copy of their schedule. This is apt to change but here are the teams we have scheduled.

HCAC team Transylvania 2x9 DH

Capital 2x
Wilmington
Otterbein
JCU
BW
Berg
Ohio Christian NCCAA
Berg
Ohio Dominican (d2)
Musky
Marietta
ONU

Schedule is definitely OAC heavy. Only school missing are Mount.

They are going back to Port Charlotte to play in the Snowbird classic again.

Bishopleftiesdad

Big Red has posted their schedule:

http://denisonbigred.com/sports/bsb/2014-15/schedule

They are playing some good competition again, pretty strong schedule. It looks like they are playing some early games down in Marietta. Must be several teams coming that weekend to Schaly Stadium to play a weekend series.

They are starting pretty early Feb 27, in New Concord. That has real potential to be a cold one.