Lacrosse

Started by drisclaw, July 03, 2011, 09:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PolarCat

Bates may not always field the most competitive teams, but they might have the best (or as my son would say "illest") helmets in the NCAA, and their sports photography is All-American, maybe even All-World.  Photos from last night's game are here: http://athletics.bates.edu/sports/mlax/2014-15/photos/0005/index

One image in particular I like, not because it's a great action shot, but because of the subject matter.  The fourth photo in the series shows Bates President Clayton Spencer (she's the lone red shirt in the see of white-clad students) doing her selly in the stands.  She sits a couple seats down from Mrs. PolarCat and I at most Bates home FB games, and she can argue ref's calls with the best of them.  We're blessed to have a college president that not only "gets" the place of sports in D3, but also is a fan of the games.

NCF

Tough night for CCIW men's entries Augie and Carthage. Augie lost in the final minute to Albion and Carthage was beaten by OWU. 
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13
CCIW  MEN"S INDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: TOTAL DOMINATION SINCE 2001.
CCIW MEN'S OUTDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: 35
NATIONAL CHAMPIONS: INDOOR TRACK-'89,'10,'11,'12/OUTDOOR TRACK: '89,'94,'98,'00,'10,'11
2013 OAC post season pick-em tri-champion
2015 CCIW Pick-em co-champion

amh63

PolarCat....watched a portion of the Bobcat battle with Keene State under the lights!  Nice atmosphere and Huge crowd....seen from the photos.  Crowd aided by the fact that it was Bates first Lax post season venture against an opponent who was in it last season and the fact that Bates chose to set the ticket prices at the lowest level allowed by the NCAA guidelines.
Anyway, saw the last part of the game when the incident your son mentioned occurred.It was a rough game to begin with and the refs let a lot of banging go, IMO.  In the last few minutes with the game won, after a late goal by Bates, there was a "scrum" ....announcer Rugby term...for a loose ball on the right side of Keene's goal.  A Keene defender slashed down on the head of a Bates player.....that drew the penalty and ejection.  Believe it was about a minute to go in the game.  Keene player was frustrated...believe it was the Defensive Player of the Year in the LEC who was the culprit.   Part of it could be due to the emotion of the moment and the fact that the last goal was unnecessary.  Do not know if the goal was by a Bates' sub.
In the last few minutes when the game put away, the announcers was talking about how Bates would approach the upcoming game against the defending Nat. champs...Tufts.!  Tufts has lost only to Bates and Amherst to date.  Amherst will meet Middlebury on Pratt Field on Sat.  Hope the LJs will be ready this time.  Time to even the score! :)

PolarCat

amh63,

Thanks for corroborating my son's report.  Tells me he was watching indeed the game, instead of making out with a coed.

To be honest, I'm sure the attendance was also helped by the following:

• It's "Short Term" at Bates, a month where the students take one class, while working on their tans and exercising their livers.  Think Spring Break on San Padre Island, but the dining hall feeds  you, and you get to sleep in your own dorm room, instead of some cockroach-infested motel. ;D
  • The game was late enough in the day that the students' Cinco de Mayo hangovers had worn off.  Look closely at the photos and it looks like half the students just rolled out of bed.  Sounds about right.  :'(
  • Believe it or not, it was the first NCAA Tournament game EVER in Garcelon Field's history, despite the field playing host to 3 teams (Football, MLAX, and WLAX).  An historic night in Lewiston.

Now .... How soon can we start agitating to get NESCAC to allow our football teams to engage in post-season play?  If MIT can do it, why can't we?

PolarCat

And please pardon my totally un-PC use of the phrase "coed".  In today's world, I should have said "having an animated discourse on world affairs with a fellow student of the opposite sex, same sex, or trans-sexual gender." 

Vandy74

Quote from: amh63 on May 06, 2015, 08:32:47 PM
Some comments....
First...the 4 conference teams...in the same bracket....is like a repeat of the conference tourney.  All are highly ranked nationally...prefer new opponents....therefore a possible final 4 of CAC teams :).
Wrt to money..I agree on that point....however, all the CAC teams are hosting and their opponents have to travel....travel money differential is "peanuts".
Vandy...my congrats are for winning the Nescac title by beating the Ephs :).  The golf course in Willytown is the Taconic course...owned by Williams.  I walked the course with a friend who likes to play iconic great courses...Congressional in Md, Pebble Beach, the public course in LaJolla, Ca.....you get the pix.  Anyway, I was impressed with the caddy carts that followed you around...no golf carts. It was almost two decades ago....the technology application amused me.  It was on a business trip to Pittsfield, Ma.
Oh yes,  the men's games today.  Tufts crushed its opponent, Emmanual..21-6...led the entire game.  Amherst beat Castelton, 20-4 and Middlebury finally found its mojo in the 2nd half and won handily over Montclair St.   Bates is in a battle with Keene St...a team they beat earlier.

Taconic!  That's what I couldn't remember.  Beautiful golf course.  I played it in high school when Mt. Anthony hosted a big tournament there.  Bennington is as close to the VT/MA border on the north side as Williamstown is to the south.  Not sure if that was the course they used on a regular basis but Mt. A. was the team to beat in VT high school golf back then.  I also played it 5-6 years later with friends. 

The NESCAC is getting a lot of respect from the selection committee this year.  I think it was two seasons back that Middlebury finished ranked @ 13 or 14 and was left out.  They had been upset in the quarterfinals of the CAC tourney and the only  conference rep was Tufts. 

magicman

Nice to see the #10 ranked Cortland Men advance with a 9-8 win over Springfield College in the first round of the NCAA tournament on Wednesday afternoon. Cortland will now host Endicott, a 12-6 winner over Colorado College. The game will be at 5:00 PM on Saturday at Cortland. Cortland improves their record to 15-4 overall.

Cortland was down 8-7 after the 3rd quarter but scored early in the 4th quarter to tie the score and got the game winner with 8:57 to play. The Red Dragons held the Pride scoreless for the entire 4th quarter.

amh63

All CAC 2nd round Men's Lax completed...host teams holding serve...tennis term, I know..but am a former tennis player.  In any case, Tufts beats a game Bates team ...13-8, while Amherst beats Middlebury 16-10...leading throughout the match.  Do want to point out that one Panther offensive player...Cleary?...wears black footing...shoes and socks, while the rest of the starters all have white footwear.  A little like another Middlebury MBB player I follow...the trend setter "DK".

Vandy74

Quote from: amh63 on May 09, 2015, 03:05:19 PM
All CAC 2nd round Men's Lax completed...host teams holding serve...tennis term, I know..but am a former tennis player.  In any case, Tufts beats a game Bates team ...13-8, while Amherst beats Middlebury 16-10...leading throughout the match.  Do want to point out that one Panther offensive player...Cleary?...wears black footing...shoes and socks, while the rest of the starters all have white footwear.  A little like another Middlebury MBB player I follow...the trend setter "DK".

Payback was the order of the day as Amherst and Tufts both turned the table on teams they had fallen to earlier in the season.  The black footing didn't seem to help.  The LJs were Clear(l)y the better team this afternoon. (sorry, long day)  In much closer action Tufts led only 8-7 after three quarters before putting the game away with a 5-1 advantage in the fourth.   Midd vs Amherst.  Tufts vs Bates.  Winners face off in the next round.  I thought the CAC tournament had already been played.  I often don't know what day it is ??? but I still have a pretty good handle on the week.  8-)   My rooting loyalties have already been stated.  Good luck to Amherst on Wednesday.

Vandy74

The Middlebury-MIT game begins at 11:30 due to the weather expected.  Just a heads up to the few who might check the board prior to game time.  Not anticipated to be much of a contest but if there is a way to make it so MIT student athletes are fully capable of figuring it out.

PolarCat

Stranger things have happened.  Who ever thought MIT would field a super-competitive football team?

Good luck to the Panthers.

magicman

10th ranked Cortland State defeats the 9th ranked Endicott Gulls 13-6 in an NCAA 2nd round game. The Red Dragons were down 1-0 as the Gulls scored 55 seconds into the game and it stayed that way for nearly 7 minutes.  The Red Dragons tied the game at 1 but Endicott took the lead once more with a goal at the 7:02 mark of the 1st period. Cortland then scored 2 goals in 49 seconds in the last 2 minutes of the period to grab a lead they would never lose. The 2nd period was all Cortland as they scored 4 unanswered goals and never looked back.

Cortland advances to the national quarterfinals for the 14th straight time and will face the top ranked team in the country, RIT on Wednesday, May 13th, at Tiger Stadium in Rochester at a time to be determined.

Cortland was led by Senior Matt Rakoczy and junior Zach Hopps as they each recorded three goals and two assists.

amh63....you were asking about Native American players earlier in April. Zach Hopps for Cortland is a member of the Mohawk Nation and lives near Massena NY in the Akwesasne Mohawk Community. With his 2 assists in this game he became just the 9th player in Cortland history to eclipse 100 assists for his career and will have 1 more year to extend his total.

The #2 ranked Cortland women's Lax team will take on Castleton State today in a game that will tip off in just about an hour from now at 11: 00 AM in Cortland.     

magicman

The #2 ranked Cortland women defeat Castleton State by a 21-4 final. Cortland will now play the winner of the Augustana (Ill.)-Concordia (Wis) that is being played at 2 PM today.

P'bearfan

Congrats to the Lady Polar Bears who defeated Bridgewater State today 22-9.   11 different players scored for Bowdoin with Lindsay Picard and Emma Beecher leading the way with 5 and 4 goals respectively.

Great job and good luck in the next round.

Vandy74

Congratulations to all the NESCAC teams today but especially to Hamilton for knocking off two-time defending champion Salisbury on the Seagulls home turf 9-8 in 2-OT.  They advance to next weekend's round in Gettysburg to face Middlebury, winners over a feisty MIT squad 19-9 this afternoon as Missy Foote coached her final home game.