MBB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by miac newbie, February 17, 2005, 03:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

miacsuperfan

Would enjoy hearing from anyone who was actually in attendance at either Toms or Royals games. So much is lost watching on a computer screen.  Viewing the end of the regulation time in River Falls, it was difficult to see a foul on the put back at the buzzer. 

Thought BU coach was very classy in his post game comments....but he and coach Tauer must have had pretty restless nights of sleep after losing games they each appeared to have in hand near the end.  Bethel played so well, yet their failure to take full advantage of the flagrant 1 intentional foul situation clearly gave UWRF new life.

As for Tommies, up 8 with :41 to go......I taking all bets on them holding on to that lead.  Hard to imagine; that's the kind of stuff UST has been on the delivery end of a few times!  :o

Smitty Oom

Quote from: miacsuperfan on March 04, 2017, 03:36:16 PM
Would enjoy hearing from anyone who was actually in attendance at either Toms or Royals games. So much is lost watching on a computer screen.  Viewing the end of the regulation time in River Falls, it was difficult to see a foul on the put back at the buzzer. 

Thought BU coach was very classy in his post game comments....but he and coach Tauer must have had pretty restless nights of sleep after losing games they each appeared to have in hand near the end.  Bethel played so well, yet their failure to take full advantage of the flagrant 1 intentional foul situation clearly gave UWRF new life.

As for Tommies, up 8 with :41 to go......I taking all bets on them holding on to that lead.  Hard to imagine; that's the kind of stuff UST has been on the delivery end of a few times!  :o

D3HOOPS POST-GAME PRESS CONFERENCE WITH BU

D3HOOPS ARTICLE

Wild turn of events for the Royals... tough way to close a great 4 years for the 2 seniors. Congrats on an amazing career for them though!

Same goes for UST seniors. I thought MN had 3 wins in the bag when I was watching them.. Darn!

And GBU, I was after the 2008 year so I am pretty sure I do not know your friend unfortunately.

HSHOOP

Quote from: faunch on March 04, 2017, 02:34:01 PM
Quote from: Drake Palmer on March 04, 2017, 01:45:59 PM
Quote from: faunch on March 04, 2017, 11:35:11 AM
Quote from: faunch on March 04, 2017, 11:28:12 AM
If anyone can find video of the last minute of the Augustana / U$T video I would love to see it.  How the f-ck does a team blow an 8 point lead w/ under 40 seconds to play?

Found them:
https://twitter.com/UhlmannMatt/status/837837953858695168

https://twitter.com/MattRandazzo/status/837899223496556544

Easy on the schadenfreude Faunch.  Some Bethel fans might remind you of last Saturday.  Or SJU's loss to Oshkosh last fall, etc. ::) ;)

I'm not concerned...any day the Tom$ lose is a good day.

When you actually qualify and go to these games, faunch, its all about the MIAC.  You realize how little respect the MIAC gets vs the NESCAC, WIAC, and others getting 3, 4 or 5 teams in.  I remember last year when we
won the National Championship (you do remember we were National Champions last year, don't you?...or....as they say....."scoreboard!")  I remember thinking SJU should be here as well given the quality of teams at the NCAA and how good I remember the MIAC competition being last year.  Apparently the feeling isn't mutual and I suppose that has something to do with being the perennial bridesmaid;)  However, I guess its better to have been there and lost than not to have been there at all

(modified by GS for formatting)

SUMMIT!!!!!

If anyone can find video of the last minute of the Augustana / U$T video I would love to see it.  How the f-ck does a team blow an 8 point lead w/ under 40 seconds to play?

Found them:

Easy on the schadenfreude Faunch.  Some Bethel fans might remind you of last Saturday.  Or SJU's loss to Oshkosh last fall, etc. ::) ;)

Faunch- my old man was a Johnnie and I always felt he was the only good Johnnie, something you do a great job of proving nearly daily . . He died 6 yrs ago. That just goes to show that the ONLY good Johnnie is a dead one!

PS- any team that loses to Mac is in NO position to throw stones...especially since USJ hasn't found its way to the NCAA in 15 years.
After the game, the king and pawn go into the same box.

Italian proverb

Smitty Oom

Quote from: HSHOOP on March 04, 2017, 06:01:42 PM

Found them:

When you actually qualify and go to these games, faunch, its all about the MIAC.  You realize how little respect the MIAC gets vs the NESCAC, WIAC, and others getting 3, 4 or 5 teams in.  I remember last year when we
won the National Championship (you do remember we were National Champions last year, don't you?...or....as they say....."scoreboard!")  I remember thinking SJU should be here as well given the quality of teams at the NCAA and how good I remember the MIAC competition being last year.  Apparently the feeling isn't mutual and I suppose that has something to do with being the perennial bridesmaid;)  However, I guess its better to have been there and lost than not to have been there at all

(modified by GS for formatting)

Last year the MIAC was extremely competitive. I mean Bethel was the 5 seed last year and they are basically the same team that won the MIAC playoff this year and tied for regular season champs (granted an off-season of improving). The committee goes strictly by the data, so not getting more at-larges has to do with the MIAC teams SOS/WP and "key wins against regionally ranked teams." So although I agree with you that a lot of the MIAC teams could be very competitive in the NCAA tourney, especially last year with BU, Concordia, St. John's, St. Olaf (who won one game I believe) and UST (who uhhh won the whole thing), when it comes to it we don't have the criteria to get the at-large bids.

Now if you want to argue that is due to the fact that the top teams are all very close (for example Concordia split with BU, SJU and STO last year and swept by UST which is already 5 loses and assuming you don' win the MIAC tourney that is 6 loses and doesn't give you much wiggle room), we play 20 conference game which drags the SOS to .500 and limits the damage a perennially strong conference can do in the non-conference schedule, I will for sure agree with you. Especially compared to the 11 team NESCAC that plays only one round of conference games, which helps them maintain their gaudy SOS. This makes you wonder if the guys scheduling could every go the way of the girls and play a few teams only once during conference season?

Sorry for the long post here, but is it just me or did the MIAC seem less talented this year? Or was last year just one of the deepest MIACs in recent memory? A lot of talent graduated last year on a lot of those top teams (Cord, SJU, STO, UST). This year looking through the post-season awards and other remaining good players, their is much more returning as a whole.

Smitty Oom

Found them:

Over here on the hoops board we all support the MIAC as they compete in the NCAA tourney to prove how strong of a D3 conference we are.

SUMMIT!!!!!

Quote from: Smitty Oom on March 04, 2017, 06:40:08 PM

Sorry for the long post here, but is it just me or did the MIAC seem less talented this year? Or was last year just one of the deepest MIACs in recent memory? A lot of talent graduated last year on a lot of those top teams (Cord, SJU, STO, UST). This year looking through the post-season awards and other remaining good players, their is much more returning as a whole.
I think it is more a case of last year being loaded with talented seniors across the league, so this year, while there were some top tier seniors, it was heavily a sophomore/junior league. A lotta kids who didn't see much PT in 2015-16 were thrust into leadership roles. So  2016-17 was a learning curve season and I'm already wired thinking about next year! I think the parity gap is shrinking  which will only make every one of the  20 regular conference season games a battle and meaningful.

Quote from: Smitty Oom on March 04, 2017, 06:47:15 PM

Found them:

Over here on the hoops board we all support the MIAC as they compete in the NCAA tourney to prove how strong of a D3 conference we are.
I agree ...heck if $J1U made the tourney I'd even root for them ;D
After the game, the king and pawn go into the same box.

Italian proverb

faunch

Quote from: miacmaniac on March 04, 2017, 06:26:26 PM

Found them:

Faunch- my old man was a Johnnie and I always felt he was the only good Johnnie, something you do a great job of proving nearly daily . . He died 6 yrs ago. That just goes to show that the ONLY good Johnnie is a dead one!

PS- any team that loses to Mac is in NO position to throw stones...especially since USJ hasn't found its way to the NCAA in 15 years.

And how did U$T fall in hoops to lowly SJU just less than 2 weeks ago?
I might have rooted for the Tom$ 10-20 years ago but they've grown to such a level that I will never be able to in any sport.  They dominate the league in so many sports it has grown tiresome.  With over 6,000 undergrads and a location in the Twin Cities that provides them with a massive advantage.  I would pull for a GAC or a MAC playing in a national tournament but never U$T...too big for the small pond which they believe they swim. 

"I'm a uniter...not a divider."

HSHOOP

Quote from: faunch on March 05, 2017, 01:32:49 AM
Quote from: miacmaniac on March 04, 2017, 06:26:26 PM

Found them:

And how did U$T fall in hoops to lowly SJU just less than 2 weeks ago?
I might have rooted for the Tom$ 10-20 years ago but they've grown to such a level that I will never be able to in any sport.  They dominate the league in so many sports it has grown tiresome.  With over 6,000 undergrads and a location in the Twin Cities that provides them with a massive advantage.  I would pull for a GAC or a MAC playing in a national tournament but never U$T...too big for the small pond which they believe they swim.

At least you're big enough (or little enough, depending on how you look at it) to admit its just pure jealousy, which, by the way, gets you nowhere, like your mom told you.  I was at all 3 games this year.  First two were dominated by UST (the first one was downright embarrassing with a 31 point lead with 7 mins left in the game before UST mercifully emptied the bench), the third one was a great game, more of what I would expect from SJU.  However, with UST's second leading scorer Boll out (17 and 18 points in the first two games), I'm not so sure it would have been that close to begin with, but certainly don't want to take away the fact that SJU came to play as I know most of the kids on that team as well.
You did see that NDSU beat Iowa in Football this year, and the Gophers don't want anything to do with scheduling NDSU, nor do a lot of other schools way larger and in way better locations than Fargo.  Teams like these have Championship mentalities and carry themselves as such.  .....you're kinda wishing you didn't go there with your initial comment, aren't you?

Gregory Sager

I think you mean envy, not jealousy, HSHOOP.

Jealousy = I don't want you to take what's mine.
Envy = I want what's yours.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

HSHOOP

Maybe true, but both could apply, especially the 'mental uneasiness' part below

Jealousy | Define Jealousy at Dictionary.com
www.dictionary.com/browse/jealousy
jealous resentment against a rival, a person enjoying success or advantage, etc., or against another's success or advantage itself. 2. mental uneasiness from suspicion or fear of rivalry, unfaithfulness, etc., as in love or aims.

GoldandBlueBU

Well, Friday was a fun, but gut wrenching game to watch.  Outside of the opportunities to win at the end of regulation, where Wojta could have put them up 3 instead of 2 by making both free throws, and in OT, where they had the missed free throws on the intentional foul, followed up by a Tusler turnover, and then a Wojta turnover, I thought the first half represented a missed opportunity as well. 

Offense came out clunky, not hitting shots, and over-helping too much resulting in open looks for UWRF.  A slightly better performance, and they wouldn't have had the 10 point hole to dig themselves out of.  Oh well.  Once it went to double OT, I figured that either team would be in a tough spot the next night, given that neither BU or UWRF got a ton of minutes out of their benches, and that surely played a part in the drubbing that Wartburg put on UWRF.

Super proud of the team, however....tons of progress over Wojta and Hall's 4 years.  I could not have projected that hall would be the contributor he was this year, based on his ugly set shot three pointer that we watched during his freshman year.  He became an all around player, contributing significantly on offense, rebounding, and being a great defender as well.

I think they're a top 4 team next year (probably 3rd or 4th of that 4), and look forward to seeing how Kingland and Jenson can contribute as sophomores.

Tons of credit to the UWRF squad...they were in a tough spot in the first overtime and never flinched for a second.

At least the gophers scored a measure of revenge on the state of WI Sunday night!

Pat Coleman

I know I'm a couple days behind this but I thought the whistle was justified.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

GoldandBlueBU

Quote from: Pat Coleman on March 06, 2017, 01:19:28 PM

It happened so fast in real time that I couldn't tell online, but I went back and watched the replay and he (Magnusson) hammered the guy, indeed with time remaining, so it was very much the right call.

Also noticed in watching it back that Hall just missed being able to ice the game on the rebound...he went up after the ball when the missed initial shot went up, but it took an extra hop on the rim, so his jump was mis-timed.  He was right in position and for sure could have come down with it, or swatted it to the backcourt and allowed time to expire, but instead, was only able to tip it out, and it went directly to the UWRF player.   >:(

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: GoldandBlueBU on March 06, 2017, 01:42:11 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on March 06, 2017, 01:19:28 PM

It happened so fast in real time that I couldn't tell online, but I went back and watched the replay and he (Magnusson) hammered the guy, indeed with time remaining, so it was very much the right call.

Also noticed in watching it back that Hall just missed being able to ice the game on the rebound...he went up after the ball when the missed initial shot went up, but it took an extra hop on the rim, so his jump was mis-timed.  He was right in position and for sure could have come down with it, or swatted it to the backcourt and allowed time to expire, but instead, was only able to tip it out, and it went directly to the UWRF player.   >:(

With all the talk of officiating, if there's one thing I've never seen an official do, it's call a touch foul at the buzzer.  It's usually got to be a borderline misdemeanor.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere