MBB: Centennial Conference

Started by swish, March 01, 2005, 04:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mailsy

Cabrini Cavaliers 2012 National Runner-Up.
First official poster on the Atlantic East forum board.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

BeRightOn

Quote from: BeRightOn on November 14, 2018, 08:48:34 AM
Does anyone know why Matt Gnias hasn't been getting into games for Muhlenberg?

Hoping the repost might awake someone in the know.

noonhooper

It's always crazy to me how fast the conference games get started. How a team is doing on the court before Thanksgiving has so little to do with how they will look in February. On the other hand, teams that are rolling to start the season get a chance to make some noise early and that can keep them in the running even if they hit a slump in January. Anyway, it will be fun to get an early look at how teams matchup this year!

My Picks:
F&M over Gburg- F&M too loaded and Gburg still learning what the new coaching staff wants. I am interested to see more of Avery Close, he has been playing well and I don't remember him being this impactful this year.

SWAT over Wash- Swat playing well to start the season. Always good to get wins while young guys are learning their new roles after last year's great class left a pile of big shoes. I think this game will be closer than expected just because Washington plays hard, is never afraid of an opponent, and has a style that can cause trouble.

JHU over McDaniel- All honesty, this is a name pick. I have seen Hopkins play but have not seen/know nothing about McDaniel. But since last year was a real... terror, for McDaniel and they are playing a Hopkins team coming after a loss I bet this will be a tough one for the McD's

Mules over Devils- I hope that I am wrong with this one because I think Coach Seretti is one of the better coaches in the league but man, the admissions requirements must have gone way up for Dickinson because the new guys don't hold a candle to the roster that used to be there and you can't tell me the same coaching staff lost the ability to recognize talent. Mules love the three-ball and that can bite you every once in awhile but not tonight!

Ursinus over Haverford- Bears love beating up on the bottom half of the conference. Haverford is on the right track to mediocrity (a compliment at this point) but Ursinus always starts hot because they have more athletic guys than most of the conference (didn't I hear about a admissions/athletic issue?) so they can just win games on ability.

Anyway, I look forward to being wrong on all these and then never posting my picks again. Enjoy the night!

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

From what I've heard, Dickinson isn't putting in the same kinds of financial aid as those schools the basketball team is recruiting against.  I don't think it's cheaping out, but that the recruiting competition for the larger student body may not be the same recruiting competition as the basketball team.  That's vague and I apologize, but I haven't really cared to dig too deep into what that means.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

noonhooper

There could be a whole thread devoted to the admissions/financial aid impact on d3 hoops (who would want to read it though?). It is so impactful for teams and most fans, I would bet, don't take that into account for some of these programs beyond insinuating that "the other teams" have it easier than theirs. I am impressed with Dickinson's ability to roll with the punches and stay competitive thus far. But eventually that is going to have an impact.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: noonhooper on November 20, 2018, 01:21:38 PM
There could be a whole thread devoted to the admissions/financial aid impact on d3 hoops (who would want to read it though?). It is so impactful for teams and most fans, I would bet, don't take that into account for some of these programs beyond insinuating that "the other teams" have it easier than theirs. I am impressed with Dickinson's ability to roll with the punches and stay competitive thus far. But eventually that is going to have an impact.

A thread like this was started ... in soccer, I think. LOL
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: noonhooper on November 20, 2018, 01:21:38 PM

It's even more insane in football (trust me, I've not only heard, but have seen, the gory details :) ) I talk to coaches who discuss how some schools "package" much better. As word gets around to administration and non-athlete students though, you're seeing changes at certain schools. I hope that the day comes when the playing field is leveled.......................vs. some schools having Yankees/Red Sox/Dodgers resources, lining up against the Pirates, A's and Royals. It's a shame what it has come to! :(

ronk

There are 8 D3 schools(Amherst, Bowdoin, Colby, MIT, Pomona, Swarthmore, Chicago, Wash&Lee) that meet full financial need while packaging aid awards with no loans for each admitted student. With Bloomberg's recent gift to Johns Hopkins, they'll join this group for the foreseeable future.

CCHoopster

Quote from: ronk on November 23, 2018, 09:27:09 AM
There are 8 D3 schools(Amherst, Bowdoin, Colby, MIT, Pomona, Swarthmore, Chicago, Wash&Lee) that meet full financial need while packaging aid awards with no loans for each admitted student. With Bloomberg's recent gift to Johns Hopkins, they'll join this group for the foreseeable future.

They should be NCAA tournament teams every year if they meet full need. Missing should be an embarrassment. Talk about an advantage... And they have full time assistants.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: CCHoopster on November 24, 2018, 07:46:14 PM

They should be NCAA tournament teams every year if they meet full need. Missing should be an embarrassment. Talk about an advantage... And they have full time assistants.

Of course, athletes have to get admitted first, which isn't always a slam dunk, especially at those schools.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Not sure how much Hopkins will join the "group." Much of Bloomberg's money is for need-blind stuff. It was actually already existing at Hopkins, it is just now more public and has a name than anyone realized before. Not sure how much this affects things moving forward with athletics.

noonhooper

The only thing funny about this "new revelation" is the people who seem to think that now Johns Hopkins is going to be dominant in the conference. As if they don't already do quite well in most sports and enjoy significant advantages. I am happy for all the students who will now be able to attend a great school without financial strain. But the Jays have been and will be the same powerhouse they have been.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: noonhooper on November 25, 2018, 11:43:41 PM
The only thing funny about this "new revelation" is the people who seem to think that now Johns Hopkins is going to be dominant in the conference. As if they don't already do quite well in most sports and enjoy significant advantages. I am happy for all the students who will now be able to attend a great school without financial strain. But the Jays have been and will be the same powerhouse they have been.

Hopkins is certainly a strong department from top to bottom, but I'll honestly say this ... I'm surprised they aren't more successful considering the dynamics. I wonder sometimes why they don't win more. While consistent, I would not put JHU in the "powerhouse" section. Maybe that's because I cover so many sports where they are good, but they aren't more than that - even football despite their appearance in the quarterfinals this year.