Pool C -- 2012

Started by wally_wabash, August 31, 2012, 11:19:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

d-train

Yup - win Saturday and then I'll take a peek at how other Pool C folks fared and what Week 11 looks like. The Lutes actually have a pretty tough roadie themselves that final week (at NAIA's Menlo College).

smedindy

Of course, most teams have little control over their conference schedules unless they have a major rivalry game that has been played as the final game of the year since, well, forever.

The once-ranked always-ranked is pretty weak sauce on many levels. The rankings are late enough that you can exclude good teams that lost early. Unless they do top-secret RR's but then you could rank someone early on and then their season could just go totally south on them.

smedindy

Bad news for some:

Someone on the NCAC board followed up with the NCAC: H2H is not a factor in a Wabash / Witt / OWU three way tie since Witt and OWU didn't play each other. So if Wally's calculus is right (I'm sure it is) - Witt will be the "A" and Wabash and OWU would be cast into "C" land with 9-1 records (if they win out).

wally_wabash

Our conference full of PBKs can't break a three way tie between 1-loss A, B, and C when A beat both B and C.  I'm embarassed by this, you guys.  Seriously. 

"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

Mr. Ypsi

A bombshell: Baldwin-Wallace has self-reported violations to the NCAA, and removed all athletic teams from postseason consideration for 2012-13!  Assuming they lose Saturday to UMU, they were at best a long shot for a pool C, but they otherwise almost certainly would be regionally ranked tomorrow.  I wonder if the regional ranking committee will note this and not include them?  It could mean the difference in a RRO opponent for anyone who played them, and anyone who played whoever now places 10th (or would have placed 10th if they still get ranked).

desertcat1

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on October 30, 2012, 05:18:47 PM
A bombshell: Baldwin-Wallace has self-reported violations to the NCAA, and removed all athletic teams from postseason consideration for 2012-13!  Assuming they lose Saturday to UMU, they were at best a long shot for a pool C, but they otherwise almost certainly would be regionally ranked tomorrow.  I wonder if the regional ranking committee will note this and not include them?  It could mean the difference in a RRO opponent for anyone who played them, and anyone who played whoever now places 10th (or would have placed 10th if they still get ranked).

Ypsi,  you are always looking ahead. 8-)

Go Cats
Go Big D
" If you are going to be a bear, be a Grizzly"

C.W. Smith

smedindy

I think the only way they would have affected "C" would be if they beat Heidelberg, really. Otterbein would be ahead of them in the RR's IMHO.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: smedindy on October 30, 2012, 06:43:40 PM

I think the only way they would have affected "C" would be if they beat Heidelberg, really. Otterbein would be ahead of them in the RR's IMHO.

Like I said, I doubt THEY would have been a viable C candidate, but whether or not they are regionally ranked affects everyone they played AND everyone who played whoever would have been #10 if they are or aren't.  Whether or not they are ranked tomorrow COULD affect pool C selection, and certainly could affect seeding.

And if they somehow beat UMU ... WOW!

smedindy

See, I never thought they'd be RR'd. Should have added that. Sloppy.

Mr. Ypsi

At 7-1, despite an SoS at #201, I assumed they'd be a slam-dunk (to mix my sports metaphors ;)).  But I haven't researched it.

smedindy

Ack, maybe I was already projecting the Mt. Union game. But they may be 11th anyway...

wally_wabash

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on October 30, 2012, 07:09:15 PM
Quote from: smedindy on October 30, 2012, 06:43:40 PM

Like I said, I doubt THEY would have been a viable C candidate, but whether or not they are regionally ranked affects everyone they played AND everyone who played whoever would have been #10 if they are or aren't.  Whether or not they are ranked tomorrow COULD affect pool C selection, and certainly could affect seeding.

And if they somehow beat UMU ... WOW!

My feeling on this is that they ought to still be ranked.  Ranked isn't selected and they aren't being punished by the NCAA (right now)...this is a self-imposed postseason ban. 

We have these rankings, in part, to help establish who played quality opponents.  The violations don't impact the quality of Baldwin-Wallace's football team, nor should it impact teams that have played Baldwin-Wallace.  Right now, the only team potentially impacted by Baldwin-Wallace not being ranked because of this (if that's what they choose to do) is Heidelberg.  Mount Union is going to be a top seed no matter what their SOS is or how many RR'd teams they played.  Heidelberg's selection chances and/or seeding probably would be impacted. 

Teams on the fringe of the North region rankings like say, oh I don't know, Adrian that could get in if B-W is disqualified from the rankings could have impact elsewhere as Huntingdon, who could desperately use a win over a RR'd team, plays Adrian in week 11. 

It's a shame that these student-athletes, all of them at B-W, get punished for somebody else's mistake.  These kids didn't do a thing wrong. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

wally_wabash

Today's the day!  My refresh button is going to hate me by the end of this day. 

desertcat1

Quote from: wally_wabash on October 31, 2012, 10:35:02 AM

TRICK or treat. :)

trick for some , treat for others. ;D

Go
cats
Go big D
" If you are going to be a bear, be a Grizzly"

C.W. Smith

Ralph Turner

Quote from: desertcat1 on October 31, 2012, 11:07:10 AM
Quote from: wally_wabash on October 31, 2012, 10:35:02 AM
I will try to show some discipline and refrain from hitting it too frequently until after 5pm EDT.    :-\