MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndOne

The CCIW head coaches will meet at 10 AM tomorrow morning to nominate and vote on the all-conference team.
The results will be announced by the conference office very shortly following the conclusion of the voting.

As previously mentioned, keep in mind the possibility of the team being comprised of more than 15 members. 

AndOne

Quote from: newCCIWfan on February 24, 2013, 05:44:32 PM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 24, 2013, 05:38:17 PM
Quote from: AndOne on February 24, 2013, 04:50:58 PM* The what seemed low attendance for the Wesleyan/Augie game Friday night. I was very surprised with the large number of open seats during that game especially given that, with two wins, IWU had a great chance to cement a top regional ranking.

I was struck by the sight of so many empty seats for that game as well, so I went back and looked at the attendance numbers for CCIW tourney games involving the host school:

2013  Shirk Center (Illinois Wesleyan)  1475 (AC @ IWU)
2012  Merner Field House (North Central)  1778 (AC @ NCC)  2050 (WC @ NCC)
2011  Merner Field House (North Central)  1458 (IWU @ NCC)
2010  Tarble Arena (Carthage)  1875 (AC @ CC)  2410 (IWU @ CC)
2009  King Arena (Wheaton)  2537 (NCC @ WC)  2589 (EC @ WC)
2008  Carver Arena (Augustana)  1203 (EC @ AC)  1723 (IWU @ AC)
2007  Carver Arena (Augustana)    703 (NCC @ AC)  364 (EC @ AC)
2006  Carver Arena (Augustana)  1547 (IWU @ AC)

What happened in 2007???

The Augie Equestrian team was hosting a regional meet the same weekend.  ::)

You don't think they have one?  :o
My niece is an Augie graduate and former team member.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: AndOne on February 24, 2013, 04:50:58 PM* The what seemed low attendance for the Wesleyan/Augie game Friday night. I was very surprised with the large number of open seats during that game especially given that, with two wins, IWU had a great chance to cement a top regional ranking.

I was struck by the sight of so many empty seats for that game as well, so I went back and looked at the attendance numbers for CCIW tourney games involving the host school:

What happened in 2007???

Distance, probably. Augustana and Millikin are the two most remote outposts in the CCIW. They don't tend to draw as much in the way of road crowds as do the other six schools in the league, owing to the fact that Rock Island and Decatur are so far away from the league's Chicagoland demographic base. Illinois Wesleyan does travel well to Augie and Millikin for various sporting events (as is indicated by the IWU @ AC contests in '06 and '08), but, unlike the fans of the four schools based in the Chicago area (which is actually five, given how many Carthage fans live south of the Halas-Lombardi Line), Titans fans are used to the idea that they have to spend a lot of time in a car in order to get to a road CCIW game.

The alternative explanation is that it might've been a bad weather weekend in northern Illinois back in 2007.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

D-3 watcher

If I get first pick to start my team, I'll take the player of the year, Derek Raridon. He is just to smooth. Tyler Peters is a very close second, and unstoppable at times. But sometimes when he's doing his thing, everybody just stands around.

Of course the coaches might not agree, think they will call me, or any other posters?

Gregory Sager

Back in December, I though that Peters looked to be close to a lock as MOP. But now I, too, think it's Raridon.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Titan Q

Derek Raridon would be my pick for M.O.P...Tyler Peters would be 2nd, but I don't think it's very close.

kiko

Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 24, 2013, 06:16:26 PM

What happened in 2007???

Distance, probably. Augustana and Millikin are the two most remote outposts in the CCIW. They don't tend to draw as much in the way of road crowds as do the other six schools in the league, owing to the fact that Rock Island and Decatur are so far away from the league's Chicagoland demographic base. Illinois Wesleyan does travel well to Augie and Millikin for various sporting events (as is indicated by the IWU @ AC contests in '06 and '08), but, unlike the fans of the four schools based in the Chicago area (which is actually five, given how many Carthage fans live south of the Halas-Lombardi Line), Titans fans are used to the idea that they have to spend a lot of time in a car in order to get to a road CCIW game.

The alternative explanation is that it might've been a bad weather weekend in northern Illinois back in 2007.

In addition to distance, there is one other factor that potentially played a role, which you indirectly alluded to: the Titans finished 4-10 in conference play that year and sat out the tourney.  The Titans' busloads of, ah, young at heart fans weren't present on either night.  I expect that this impacted the gate.  I don't know how early the bus would typically arrive if the Titans had the late game (or, how quickly it would leave if they had the early game), but there was zero spillover to count in the gate of a non-Titan game that year because they were *all* non-Titan games.

The dichotomy between 1500+ fans when the Titan did play and less than 400 when it was Augie versus Elmhurst makes me wonder just how much home court advantage there was at Carver when the Vikes played IWU those other years.

kiko

Usually there is a little asterisk next to those first-teamers who were unanimous choices.

Last year there were two, but over the last five years there were an average of three per year.  I'm curious to see if that number is lower this year given how e pluribus unum the Titans were in their approach this year.

... and while checking this, I noted that Steve Djurickovic was deservedly a four time unanimous all-conference first teamer.  Pretty impressive.

AndOne

I'm definitely biased on the question addressed in the above 3 posts concerning POY.
So, I'll just shut up and defer to those opinions. The authors of which, the charge of bias on this question cannot be leveled.

augie_superfan

Quote from: kiko on February 24, 2013, 10:09:59 PM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 24, 2013, 06:16:26 PM

What happened in 2007???

In addition to distance, there is one other factor that potentially played a role, which you indirectly alluded to: the Titans finished 4-10 in conference play that year and sat out the tourney.  The Titans' busloads of, ah, young at heart fans weren't present on either night.  I expect that this impacted the gate.  I don't know how early the bus would typically arrive if the Titans had the late game (or, how quickly it would leave if they had the early game), but there was zero spillover to count in the gate of a non-Titan game that year because they were *all* non-Titan games.

The dichotomy between 1500+ fans when the Titan did play and less than 400 when it was Augie versus Elmhurst makes me wonder just how much home court advantage there was at Carver when the Vikes played IWU those other years.

Augie's spring beak is usually that week so almost no students and less college affiliated fans too. Throw in the lack of IWU and that explains it all.

Good luck to the 3 teams in the tourney.  Now that I live in ODAC country, I hope to see at least one CCIW team in Salem.

izzy stradlin

Honest question.  For those of you picking Raridon over Peters for MOP how would you compare the two defensively?   

Objectively, based on numbers solely on the offensive end, you'd wouldn't have a chance making the argument for Raridon.

I agree with Andone, you can't remove bias here but I am missing something. 

newCCIWfan

Quote from: izzy stradlin on February 24, 2013, 10:27:47 PM
Honest question.  For those of you picking Raridon over Peters for MOP how would you compare the two defensively?   

Objectively, based on numbers solely on the offensive end, you'd wouldn't have a chance making the argument for Raridon.

I am also interested to hear their responce.

AndOne

Personal observation and fact, not bias, allows me to advise that Derek is usually assigned to defend the opponent's high scorer for a majority of the time he is on the floor. In those instances where he isn't guarding the high scorer, he almost always defends the 2nd high scorer. No matter what sport, we've all heard time and again that defense wins. Largely through his defensive efforts, North Central led the league in scoring defense for the entire year, allowing opponents an average of only 58.2 points per game, and in conference only games where opponents averaged 59.4 ppg, A significant component of NCC's 2nd place league finish, their conference tournament championship, and their overall league best 24-3 mark. 

Titan Q

For me I guess this isn't about numbers.  I've watched both play many times this year, and I just personally feel that Derek Raridon is the better basketball player.  He just plays the game the right way all of the time and he makes big plays in big moments.

If I'm starting a CCIW team with players from 2012-13 rosters, I pick Raridon first without any hesitation.  Peters is a great player too, but I just prefer Raridon for reasons I can't really explain with any type of numbers.