BB: LEC: Little East Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, February 11, 2006, 03:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kscer

KScer- according to the box scores Vogt was the starting catcher in all three of the NCAA regional games, and like 3 out of the 4 LEC tourny games.  I would tend to think that makes him the number one catcher.  You play your best guys at the end of the year in the tournaments, so apparently he did something to stand out to the coaching staff

My information came from someone associated with the program. Boulay took a ball to his thumb and was in a cast at the end of the season. Vogt might have been better defensively than Gummow, but did not hit well. Still I think he was in their plans because of his speed. I would be surprised to see him starting behind the plate as Eastern.

lefthanders

Just to clear the air....Boulay was the starting catcher from day one...and the only reason he left the line up was do to an injury.
Vogt was given numerous chances during the season to catch...and proved he couldn't handle the job.
His strikeout to walk ratio was terrible and had no ability to grind out AB's.
He was overmatched by LEC pitching and this loss will not effect the OWLS at all!
He should signs at times...maybe the change will help.
The OWLS have the guy they need behind the plate to contend for a LEC championship.

As far as Boulay and the previous 4 catchers at KSC...Boulay throws better than all of them...and  Cipolla is the only one I would rank higher defensively.

Grainger was a great hitter...had no desire to block and missed big pitches in big situations. Had a good arm.

Kendrick couldn't hit and struggled to catch the ball...had a good arm.

Cipolla was the real deal...hit, blocked, received and managed a pitching staff...which is the biggest talent of all...many different personalities to deal with on a pitching staff. Cippy lacked an arm...really had to rely on pitchers to keep runners close.

Defense before offense at that position...especially in the LEC and NCAA

Just an observer stating an opinion!

ECSUalum

Quote from: KSCfan on October 31, 2012, 12:51:44 PM
If it is Vogt that is very surprising.  His brother played for Keene, and was actually drafted out of Keene.  Vogt played a lot for the owls too, here are some oh his stats

Played in 34 games and started 32 of them
Hit .218 in 119 at bats. (most of the owls starters were in the 150 at bat range)
9 doubles 25 RBI,
the stat that stuck out to me was 7 walks and 45 K's.  45 K's in 119 at bats is a lot

If and I trust Scout cause he is spot on usually with this stuff, Vogt did transfer its not from lack of playing time and or an opportunity.  So what gives?  Disagreement with Coaching staff? Grass greener at Eastern?

My next question is if Vogt is transferring, why would you pick your biggest LEC Rival to transfer to.  I can promise that whoever transferred from Keene to Eastern has become public enemy number one in the swamp.  It is viewed as a betrayal in that program and not taken lightly.  I remember not to long ago, a pitcher from the town of Keene went to Keene for a year(2004) and then transferred to USM in (2005).  Fast forward to the Keene/USM double header in 2005, and that pitcher was brought in from the bullpen to face Keene in the 7th of a one run game.  The Keene dugout exploded into mass hysteria, and then they went on to score a few runs against this pitcher.  Keene like many programs in the LEC feel that they are a family, and if you want to transfer thats fine, but you dont transfer within the LEC to another team, especially a heated rival a la Eastern and or USM.  Be interesting to see what happens when keene and eastern mix up this spring.

Scout I thought one of the sons was in Washington, because there was a big article about it.  I was looking online and it was Jared holowaty who was coaching at Whitman College in Washington.  I just read online that he took a coaching job at Eastern, so that answers that question

KSCFan,

Thanks for the comments.  Wow, did not know that a Keene St baseball transfer would be taken so seriously.  Anyway, what ever happens we will see who starts at catcher for the Warriors in the spring.

ECSUalum

Quote from: SCOUT66 on October 30, 2012, 10:00:49 PM
Believe the last name is Vogt from Suffield CT transferred to ECSU, Robert Wojick to NESCAC to join Wesleyan, I don't have any info on the Glastonbury HS coach, ECSU head coach's son is not coaching in ct...I believe in NJ

Last I heard Jared is still in Walla Walla WA coaching at Whitman College and Jason is with the MLB org. in Europe.
see: http://www.easternct.edu/athletics/men_baseball/b-staff-b-holowaty.htm

lefthanders

ECSUalum

Quote from: lefthanders on November 04, 2012, 12:49:04 PM
Jared resigned at Whitman.
leftthander,
That surprises me as he was there just a couple of years, and I would have thought that he would have wanted to stay longer to turn the Whitman College BB program around.  But, I guess,  he was far from home and when opportunities are presented, one needs to take them.

KSCfan

I stand corrected from previous post as i didnt realize Boulay was hurt.  My bad.  Does Vogt who apparently did not impress that well have a serious chance of playing a lot at Eastern?

Cammuso was a senior last year and wont be back.... That leaves Larivee who hit .331, with obp .389, 11doubles, 27 rbi, 16ks in 150 at bats. I know that he was the dh last year a lot, and I dont know about his defensive skills, but from an offensive stance I cant see Vogt starting over this kid.  I dont know, one of the eastern folk?  How is Larivee behind the plate calling a game, and the defensive side?

According to the Eastern Baseball website their are two Halowatys on the coaching staff page

ECSUalum

KSCFan,
T.J. Larivee was originally recruited by UMass Lowell, which If I remember correctly has a pretty good baseball program in D-II. When he caught last year he seemed to be very good defensively. Cammuso was a senior and an excellent hitter and improved over his 4 year stint as a defensive catcher, but IMHO was an OK defensive catcher. I think Vogt and Larivee will be competing for the starting catchers role.

I still do not see Jared Holowaty on the ECSU Coaches web site:
http://www.easternct.edu/athletics/men_baseball/bb_staff.htm 

Boggsy789

This has been a great conversation about a .218 back up catcher transferring, if that is the big news for Keene and Eastern than I'm looking forward to a shake up in the standings as the 2012 LEC Runner Up PSU Panthers get ready for another great season.

LEC Fan

It's November 9th...at least we are talking about baseball!!

To your point Boggsy, should be interesting to see if PSU (formerly Plywood St.) can put together another season like last year...almost .500 and 5-9 in LEC.

Boggsy789

Keene has at least two local freshmen in this year who were denied admission to Plymouth.  I wonder if things will change now that Coach Testo is no longer working in admissions at KSC?  Also with Plymouth actually recruiting for the first time there is sure to be a split of some of the in state talent.  New Hampshire only has two state schools that offer baseball, if Plymouth is going to start trying -as indications are that they will- that has to impact Keene.

http://www.lelandandgray.org/index.php/185-leland-and-gray/about-us/346-new-athletic-director-at-leland-and-gray

All that said I'm still picking Keene to finish either first or second with USM in the other position.  Watch for the Panthers in the tournament though!

My surprise of the year will be PSU transfer RHP Cody Gilchrest who impressed during the short fall season, could be a future weekend starter and maybe sooner rather than later.

ECSUalum

Do we have another JConn here on the board ?  Delusions of grandeur that Plymouth St is the next D-III National Champion? ;)

kscer

Quote from: ECSUalum on November 09, 2012, 12:11:35 PM
Do we have another JConn here on the board ?  Delusions of grandeur that Plymouth St is the next D-III National Champion? ;)

Hopefully there is only on jconn. Good to have someone from PSU on the board though.

KSCfan

Boggsy i wont lie, it was nice to see Plymouth in the tournament last year.  All it takes is one or two good years and recruits that you normally wouldn't be able to land all of a sudden become interested in the school.  Look at Keene back in 04 when they went like 16 and 26, then the following year went 26 and 16, then to 31 and 14.  All of a sudden the Bobby Doyon, or Morrill types that wouldn't of gone to Keene start coming cause its a winning program.  Im surprised that Plymouth has not recruited harder than they have, I have visited Plywood State, and it seems like a nice place to go to school, I dont know much about the facilities other than their baseball field but that is not bad at all.

Why the sudden new recruiting push?  Did Dennis suddenly wake from a 10 year nap?  new assistants?  Or some pressure from the school to start being more active. 

Coach Testo no longer working in admissions will not impact Keene's recruiting that much.  It was not like he was sitting in his office with a master board of players he wants, and regardless of what their status is, he will push them through.  Often joked about but not the case at all.

Also the fact that its November and talking about a back up catcher is what makes the LEC board the LEC board, and the best one on D3

Boggsy789

29 year nap.

It seems our new associate head coach is putting some effort into attracting more student athletes, we actually had our first prospect camp this summer.  woo hoo progress.

Obviously we just got hot at the right time but we inched pretty close to .500 for the first time this century.  Last Plymouth winning season was 20-18 in 1999.

My bold prediction in November, without even knowing the roster is 20-18 for 2013 and the first ever psU winning baseball season.