FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Zimmerman, OzJohnnie and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

faunch

"I'm a uniter...not a divider."

OzJohnnie

Quote from: faunch on May 22, 2020, 02:37:45 PM
More fluff and not much substance...but there's a picture of Erdmann and quotes from Glenn:
https://www.startribune.com/minnesota-college-football-forecast-cloudy-for-more-than-gophers/570696872/

Good article, faunch.  Thanks.

It had a spectacular bit of information: "The new rules also state that teams can qualify for the postseason with as few as seven regular season games. These cuts are also being considered at the D-III level."

A) DII will still have a post-season, and
B) DIII looks like it will have both a regular season and a post-season.

I still think the DIII post-season will not happen this year but the hint that they may be considering reduced qualification criteria is encouraging.

And this from the Tommies:

"As long as we have an environment with students on campus and in classes, I feel very comfortable about engaging in athletics,” St. Thomas athletic director Phil Esten said. “If we’re at a point where we are 100 percent virtual and distance learning again, then I think it’s a different conversation.”

That's a pretty low bar to starting again.  Odds are looking very good, I reckon.

Does this apply to DIII?

"The NCAA’s decision Wednesday allows football players to have voluntary workouts on campus throughout June."

[  

faunch

Quote from: OzJohnnie on May 22, 2020, 03:44:05 PM
Quote from: faunch on May 22, 2020, 02:37:45 PM
More fluff and not much substance...but there's a picture of Erdmann and quotes from Glenn:
https://www.startribune.com/minnesota-college-football-forecast-cloudy-for-more-than-gophers/570696872/

Good article, faunch.  Thanks.

It had a spectacular bit of information: "The new rules also state that teams can qualify for the postseason with as few as seven regular season games. These cuts are also being considered at the D-III level."

A) DII will still have a post-season, and
B) DIII looks like it will have both a regular season and a post-season.

I still think the DIII post-season will not happen this year but the hint that they may be considering reduced qualification criteria is encouraging.

And this from the Tommies:

"As long as we have an environment with students on campus and in classes, I feel very comfortable about engaging in athletics," St. Thomas athletic director Phil Esten said. "If we're at a point where we are 100 percent virtual and distance learning again, then I think it's a different conversation."

That's a pretty low bar to starting again.  Odds are looking very good, I reckon.

Does this apply to DIII?

"The NCAA's decision Wednesday allows football players to have voluntary workouts on campus throughout June."

Ok i was trying to do two things at once and really skimmed over some of that.
I'd be happy with a MIAC conference season...my opinion is that by November we are going to see a resurgence in the spread and number of C-19 cases. That coupled with budget issues i don't see D3 programs traveling for playoffs.

"I'm a uniter...not a divider."

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

OzJohnnie

And from the Chronicle of Higher Education tracking page (https://www.chronicle.com/article/Here-s-a-List-of-Colleges-/248626) our brethren in the ARC are getting back to school, too.

* Buena Vista is in-person
* Simpson, too
* Loras is in-person
* as is Luther

That's almost half to the ARC plans for in-person classes.  Football is becoming possible there.
[  

OzJohnnie

I thought I would do a quick run down the top 25 and see where they are at:

1. NCC, considering a range of options
2. UWW, no statement yet
3. MUU, in person
4. SJU, no statement yet
5. Wheaton (Ill.), no statement yet
6. UMHB, in person
7. Muhlenberg, no statement yet
8. Delaware Valley, no statement yet
9. Salisbury, hybrid model
10. Chapman, in person
11. Wesley, no statement yet
12. Union, in person
13. John Carroll, hybrid
14. Wartburg, no statement yet
15. St Thomas, no statement yet
16. Susquehanna, in person
17. Central, no statement yet
18. Redlands, considering a range of options
19. Linfield, no statement yet
20. Bridgewater, no statement yet
21. Hardin-Simmons, no statement yet
22. UWO, no statement yet
23. Bethel, in person
24. Aurora, no statement yet
25. Brockport, no statement yet

So, the final tally is:

in person: 6
hybrid: 2 (both in person and online)
considering options: 2
no statement: 15 (obviously considering options just haven't made a press release to that effect)

As we're getting to the squeeze part of the decision-making window I expect we'll know where all these schools are going in the next five weeks.  You would think that students will need to be given direction by June 30 so that families have time to assess where their finances are at and if school is on this year.

Not long to go now to see what's happening.
[  

OzJohnnie

Actually, it's been so long since I went to school that I had to look up how it happens.  From browsing a few school websites, it looks like most registration for returning students has already happened.  New students will normally need to commit to attend around mid-July.  But it looks like you can withdraw (on the sites I saw anyways) before the first day of classes and get a full refund.  If you decide to withdraw after the first day then you pay various fees.

So, it seems the biggest hurdles for schools will be getting teachers organised and whatever social procedures are required.  Get that settled so then families can decide whether to start or continue.

It's an interesting challenge.  Of course, you want to decide as late as possible so that your answer has as much certainty as it can have.  But then schools like Bethel who commit early give their customers as much time as possible to get organised to attend.  Administrators are earning their paychecks now as they must make some big decisions in a very competitive environment.
[  

MUC57

Quote from: OzJohnnie on May 23, 2020, 11:56:26 PM
I thought I would do a quick run down the top 25 and see where they are at:

1. NCC, considering a range of options
2. UWW, no statement yet
3. MUU, in person
4. SJU, no statement yet
5. Wheaton (Ill.), no statement yet
6. UMHB, in person
7. Muhlenberg, no statement yet
8. Delaware Valley, no statement yet
9. Salisbury, hybrid modeling
10. Chapman, in person
11. Wesley, no statement yet
12. Union, in person
13. John Carroll, hybrid
14. Wartburg, no statement yet
15. St Thomas, no statement yet
16. Susquehanna, in person
17. Central, no statement yet
18. Redlands, considering a range of options
19. Linfield, no statement yet
20. Bridgewater, no statement yet
21. Hardin-Simmons, no statement yet
22. UWO, no statement yet
23. Bethel, in person
24. Aurora, no statement yet
25. Brockport, no statement yet

So, the final tally is:

in person: 6
hybrid: 2 (both in person and online)
considering options: 2
no statement: 15 (obviously considering options just haven't made a press release to that effect)

As we're getting to the squeeze part of the decision-making window I expect we'll know where all these schools are going in the next five weeks.  You would think that students will need to be given direction by June 30 so that families have time to assess where their finances are at and if school is on this year.

Not long to go now to see what's happening.

Oz

A correction to your #3. MUU, or really, UMU, is also hybrid. See an earlier post of mine.
I do like your list. Nice to see what everybody has planned so far. 🎓
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

OzJohnnie

No worries, MUC57. I was just listing how the Chronicle categorised each school.
[  

MUC57

Quote from: OzJohnnie on May 24, 2020, 08:55:10 AM
No worries, MUC57. I was just listing how the Chronicle categorised each school.

Oz

I never worry about anything you post.
Well, except for the one about a long line of people out to get me.
Maybe that means something good in Australia. That's it! It's an old Aborigine way to wish someone well. That's gotta be it. I feel better.
Good luck, Oz. stay safe! 🇦🇺 😷 🍺 ;D

57Johnnie

The older the violin - the sweeter the music!

MUC57

I am a veteran. I know there are others on this board, like 57Johnnie. We are the lucky ones. We served our time, did our job and returned home.     
Cemeteries around the world hold the remains of the brave men and women who weren't so lucky. It may be on a South Pacific island. It may be on a plateau overlooking Normandy beach. It may be in Southeast Asia. It  may be in Arlington National Cemetery.

But wherever they are, we hold them in our hearts and we remember! We remember their brave deeds and their courage. We remember them!
Truly, they hold a special place of honor in Heaven.

As my friend 57Johnnie said - Lest We Forget! 🇺🇸

formerd3db

Ditto what MUC57 and 57J said about Memorial Day today.

RE" other topics... Not a good sign as University of Michigan president announced that IF there decide on no students on campus this fall, there will be NO football. Of course, the final decision is to be delayed for now and based on what the situation is regarding the coronavirus at that time per state, regional and federal guidelines. I would think the decision would have to be made by early July, but no specific time frame was given. They might be following what the Calif state system decided (i. e. The remaining s hools aside from the DII schools have already announced.)

If U of Michigan decides against having football, I believe that will be the death bell ring for DIII, DII, and NAIA football in Michigan. This is also unfortunate timing for starting one's football program as Madonna University in Michigan, an NAIA program.
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

MadRedFan

We heard from an SJU/CSB faculty member that they are preparing for students on campus, with "condensed" classes - students would take one class at a time for 4 weeks, then rotate to another, then another, etc. FWIW.